1 2
Sultan
Sultan New Reader
5/31/09 9:50 p.m.

Ok I'm really going to ask that. I already have a Miata which has become my favorite car and I have owned A LOT of cars. The only thing that I don't like about it is driving it in heavy rain, snow and ice. So I'm thinkling about getting an 89 or 90 Bronco 2 for winter commuting. Yap I know the 2.9 has head issues but you bolt in a 4.0 from an Explorer up to a 94 and have a more reliable truck.

Anyway have any of you owned the second generation of the Bronco 2? If so what are your thoughts?

Thanks. RS

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter HalfDork
5/31/09 10:03 p.m.

They're trash. Horrible. Atrocities. I wouldn't sell one to my worst enemy if it meant I could afford a full GR40 supsension for my Cobra.

At the very least, they lay over on their side if they so much as look at a corner.

And this is coming from the guy on his 3rd Bronco (classic or full-size ONLY!).

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
5/31/09 10:39 p.m.

What do you think of the first generation Explorer?

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
5/31/09 10:59 p.m.

saleen did an exploder...

http://www.autoblog.com/2007/05/18/ebay-find-of-the-day-1998-saleen-explorer-xp8/

i generally dont think an autocross SUV is the smartest thing..

exception being a forester with an STI setup (seen it, IS AWESOME)

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
5/31/09 11:16 p.m.

I think someone needs to dig up the thread with the hill climb Blazer in it. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

Volksroddin
Volksroddin HalfDork
5/31/09 11:26 p.m.

I had a bronoc2 once. It last maybe two months on the road. Did not like at all but my wife wanted an SUV. In the end I traded for a sander.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
5/31/09 11:33 p.m.

Thanks for the input. I was joking about autocrossing it. I wrote that to get folks to look at this thread....

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
6/1/09 12:25 a.m.
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I think someone needs to dig up the thread with the hill climb Blazer in it. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/crazy-hillclimb-vehicle/2174/page1/

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago HalfDork
6/1/09 1:05 a.m.

apexcarver, you're a good man

petegossett
petegossett Dork
6/1/09 4:20 a.m.

Had a friend with a Bronco 2 for his DD for a long, long time - until it rusted back into the earth. He loved it despite the rust & engine problems, though he has an older Cherokee now & likes it much better.

blizazer
blizazer New Reader
6/1/09 4:47 a.m.

Now thats a blazer! Wheres the drooling smiley at?

Ive heard talk around the toolbox before of mixing a Supercoupe and an early Explorer. If engine swaps are your thing, then maybe thats worth a look.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Reader
6/1/09 7:11 a.m.

I had a B2 and I am relived to hear you say that you were just kidding about the auto-x part It was terible for everthing execpt three things: driving in city traffic (great visibility and short wheel base/can almost turn aroun in its own foot print) hauling more stuff than any car ever could and medium duty off-roading. If I were off-roading frequently and didn't need a hard core rig I wouldn't mind a B2 with a 4.0 and some mild suspension mods and at least one locking diff. It would have to have the 4.0 though. The 2.9 sucks gas like a 4.0 but with out the power. Also I owned a first generation explorer and honestly, except for the better engine, the B2 was better.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler New Reader
6/1/09 7:49 a.m.

Since you were kidding about the autocross bit, it probably doesn't matter, but I figured I'd point out that most clubs won't even let you autocross a vehicle like a Bronco 2. But if you choose to, I suggest you use #69. That way it'll read the same if you are upside down.

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
6/1/09 8:07 a.m.

That Blazer is from NH and is owned by a gentleman named Bruce. He also tracks it at NHMS and Watkins.

That photo does not due it justice. I've seen it pick up and carry the inside front tire about 6" off the ground coming out of a turn and into an accel zone at a local autoX.

On the B2, a buddy had one in HS he picked up as salvage and put it together. It had the 2.9L 5 spd, and would almost pull the front tires off the ground when you punched it in 2nd, the springs were so soft. Otherwise it sucked.

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
6/1/09 8:17 a.m.
Goldmember wrote: That Blazer is from NH and is owned by a gentleman named Bruce. He also tracks it at NHMS and Watkins. That photo does not due it justice. I've seen it pick up and carry the inside front tire about 6" off the ground coming out of a turn and into an accel zone at a local autoX.

The photo dosent do the "Thunder Truck" justice at ALL. Keep in mind that it is almost enturely non-stock under the skin, has a 406 small block (with lots of power) and a quickchange rear end. Its times were about the same as an AS camaro and a SM mustang, it was one of the fastest production cars up the hill! It MUST be experienced firsthand to comprehend the awesome.

If it is back this year I endavour to get video footage of it to put up.

I think you are mistaken on the name though, results show him as Butch King

Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
6/1/09 8:20 a.m.

I'm sorry, Butch. I'm horrible with names, btw

Apexcarver
Apexcarver SuperDork
6/1/09 8:24 a.m.
Goldmember wrote: I'm sorry, Butch. I'm horrible with names, btw

Thats ok, I am a face person who stinks at names as well. (Oh, you run at the airport autocrosses, do you know blahblahblah?... uh.. what kind of car does he drive? OH HIM!!! )

DrBoost
DrBoost Reader
6/1/09 8:37 a.m.

Dude, run from the B2. Get a Cherokee, the engine will run forever and a day, it has a real solid axle and won't get you laughed at at a trail ride. In fact, take a B2 on a trail ride and nobody will want to be the guy in front of you, because he'll be the one pulling you through everything.

Sultan
Sultan New Reader
6/1/09 4:30 p.m.

Thanks for the input. The point to the of getting one is to use it when the Washington weather sucks so much I don't want to drive the Miata. The only off roading I will be doing is my very long driveway;-) BTW the B2 seems to have been put out in three stages. The first ones up to 85 had a ton of issues. In 86 they upgraded the engine and added FI. In 89 they did the revamp to the same platform as the first gen Explorer. For the Explorer they streatched the whee base and changed the name. Ok they used the 4.0 engine. RS

lesabre400
lesabre400 New Reader
6/1/09 8:38 p.m.

X2 on the Cherokee. I'm biased, as I've owned two of them but what DrBoost said is true - they go forever, they're easy to work on and you can actually take them offroad, if you're so inclined.

Stay away from the early Renix versions and look for a '92 or later model. My '96 was rust-free, fully loaded with rich corinthian leather and had only 157,000 kms (not miles) on the clock and cost me $3000. It's even black.

If you're mostly driving on the street and in nasty weather, look for one with the full-time transfer case. This case uses a diff so 4WD can be engaged on pavement. Mine has it and it's great in the constant snow/slush crap we get during our 11.5 months of winter in Ontario.

More than you ever wanted to know about Cherokees: www.naxja.org

RexSeven
RexSeven HalfDork
6/1/09 10:12 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote:
thatsnowinnebago wrote: I think someone needs to dig up the thread with the hill climb Blazer in it. I'm too lazy to do it myself.

I REALLY need to try my hand at hillclimbing this year, if only to witness some of these beasts for myself.

Carrera30
Carrera30 None
6/3/09 3:02 p.m.

Cherokee is your best bet. Cheap, reliable, parts available everywhere. Bronco 2 is great if you want to end up upside down in a snow bank, or falling through the floor pan on your way to work one day.

skruffy
skruffy Dork
6/3/09 3:15 p.m.

Instead of buying a BII and an explorer 4.0, why not just get an explorer sport? It's the same thing. It'll still be garbage but you can beat the crap out of it off road and you can get a nice one for under a grand.

That said, buy a Cherokee. They're a million times better at everything and have a gigantic aftermarket.

snipes
snipes New Reader
6/11/09 10:48 a.m.

Does any one know if this thing is AWD? I think a V8 typhoon replica would be cool. Some one has to have built one.

Apexcarver wrote:
Goldmember
Goldmember Reader
6/12/09 12:43 a.m.
snipes wrote: Does any one know if this thing is AWD? I think a V8 typhoon replica would be cool. Some one has to have built one.
Apexcarver wrote:

2 wheel peel. The rear suspension so hooked up it doesn't need it, really. All it would do is push, where as now it launches straight until your right foot gets too aggressive, then you just use it to steer instead

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rZTeYbTRnBra51vA9Qy69PgtPSxVAI6Xw1qdluZCdhVuNc77Jg3ILhvu0RwZTsgW