SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
4/26/09 5:19 p.m.

No, not that. I'm happily married.

I want to know what most of the BABE Rally participants do for accommodations. Hotel? Camping? Are there extra points for actually SLEEPING in the darned thing??

I'm scheming a bit.

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
4/26/09 6:41 p.m.

most people stay in the motels along the way (typically best westerns other than the first and last night) If you want to endure extra pain, go for the camping/car sleeping thing, but there is no bonus for being extra smelly

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
4/26/09 6:47 p.m.

If late night get togethers in pubs are avoided, is it reasonably family friendly, or would it be better to steer kids clear?

GregTivo
GregTivo Reader
4/26/09 6:56 p.m.

No pubs, we just go to the closest Applebees/Chilis/Dennys/etc next to the hotel, then come back and hang out in the parking lot, just chilling. I'd say its pretty family friendly except that not many of us bring our families so the kids would get kinda bored watching adults stand around and talk about what broke, is likely to break, what the statistical probability of failure is on a particular item is. Luckily, the pools should be open at the motels this year, so any kids would atleast be able to find some entertainment. Its up to you.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/26/09 7:42 p.m.

SVreX There are parking lot parties and there is alcohol consumed, BUT, everyone is very respectful of others and everything is usually very low key. There have been families on the event previously and all has gone quite well. The group as a whole is self policing and any bad apples (definitely a minority) are quickly quashed. Of course when you get to New Orleans steer well clear of burbon street, its easy to do, when you start to smell the urnine and vomit turn the other way.

If you are plotting for this year keep in mind the entry deadline is this week. We'd love to see you along.

JThw8
JThw8 SuperDork
4/26/09 8:40 p.m.

Oh and as to the original question most folks stick to the hotels but nothing is stopping you from camping or sleeping in the car, it has been done before.

If you are travelling sans kids there are a few teams willing to share rooms to split costs but usually there's a 4 person max per room so that usually only leaves 2 spots open in the room.

SVreX
SVreX SuperDork
4/26/09 10:40 p.m.

I'm planning for next year.

Might like to cross paths with y'all this year, though!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2v88TcoolirFhMB2jx3s1lXJtcFRPW4b8vwQmRGDYs7Ky21NejBqBb8CwkI6HQV5