1 2
Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
7/2/14 11:25 a.m.

I've heard that the brake master and clutch master is a really terrible job, but haven't come across why. Care to share?

As for the steel wheels, I've seen very few Fiats that didn't have one of the much nicer alloy options. I don't mind steel wheels, but these are truly ugly.

stafford1500
stafford1500 Reader
7/2/14 12:48 p.m.

The masters are mounted above the pedals, next to the steering column, BEHIND THE DASH. You can see them, but not real get to them easily.

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
7/2/14 7:02 p.m.

and they are bolted together. Two bolts. They go through the mounting points on one MC, through the sheetmetal of the column, and into the mounting points of the other MC

bluej
bluej SuperDork
7/2/14 10:08 p.m.

Is your profile address up to date (WA)?

If not, and you're in Utah, I think I know the owner.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
7/3/14 12:16 a.m.

In reply to bluej: I am in WA still.

UPDATE:
I bought it. My darling wife and I had a long discussion on the subject this evening, and I was a little off in the reservations I thought she had. She was ok with the idea of a back-up car/project, but she thought that a two-seater was impractical given that we are a family of three...This would be a spare/fun car anyway, and our other cars are very practical. She also said if it is a true spare that it should be an auto. I taught her to drive manual, and she picked it up remarkably well. She just prefers an auto. Anyway, long story short, I'll be visiting it tomorrow to drop off cash and will be planning on taking delivery this weekend.

Regarding delivery: I'm planning to call AAA and have them come get it. you know: the car won't start. I'm guessing they are going to bring a flatbed since that seems to be the only thing around these days.

Build thread to follow soon!

AverageH
AverageH Reader
7/3/14 12:59 a.m.

In reply to Mezzanine:

Very cool purchase man. I always like those cars but never quite learned enough about them. I've certainly seen some cool Youtube vids featuring some really nice ones though. Don't sweat the kid factor honestly; I have a 5 year old and a 1 year old boy, along with a Spitfire and a Miata. No point in getting rid of them as they're paid for and fun as heck! My wife has been taking the bigger family vehicle (Jeep Patriot) to work lately since my supercharged miata is a bit sketch in the rain, so I went ahead and bought a BMW E34 525 for kid duty for $2k. Now I just have more choices on date nights.

Enjoy the new ride

-Hamid

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
7/3/14 5:34 a.m.

The steel wheels are good for scrap value only. No Fiat guy will want them; you are right, they just get a set of factory alloys to stick on there. 13" tires are nearly impossible to find now anyway. You can get a set of 14" Lancia Beta wheels; they are usually cheap and work good on there with no modifications.

There are a couple of good Fiat forums out there. I know there is one just for X1/9s but I've never been on it. The other is mirafiori.com. Huge knowledge base there if you can tolerate the ancient software they use.

For parts, Midwest Bayless is your go-to guy. Matt Brannon who runs it is an X-head himself. If he can't get it for you, it probably doesn't exist.

To do the master cylinders, just remove everything you can think of that's in your way: seat, steering column, etc. The job will just plain suck, but hopefully you only need to do it once. You'll love driving it though.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi SuperDork
7/3/14 6:39 a.m.

Xwebforums.org

It's an old site but tons of info

Congrats!

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
7/3/14 8:21 a.m.

I've owned maybe a dozen or so and love them. My favorite was a very modified '74 with a 1500 and dual webers. The master cylinder is possibly the worst repair on any car...but if remove the seat at the very least...at least it is doable. Taking it off is easy...putting it on not so much. The pita is getting the hydrolic lines started before you mount it with the two bolts. It sounds so easy when you say it.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
7/3/14 8:34 a.m.

Way to go, an X is on my list of cars to own.

wspohn
wspohn HalfDork
7/3/14 10:35 a.m.

I have a soft spot for those cars.

Back when I was starting out in motor sport, a friend owned one and ran it in slaloms so I got to try it. Handling was brilliant and he was beating most of the other stuff out there even though the little beast was down a lot of power on the competition.

One guy I know was talking about doing an engine swap - I looked and it looks very interesting. If you promise not to tell your wife I told you, see http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=274106312

They stick a 210 bhp Honda VTEC engine and trans into the car and it looks stock!

I could tell you where to look for the Civic turbo kits (they can easily get 500 bhp out of the engines with enough money) but then she'd hunt me down and kill me!

m4ff3w
m4ff3w UltraDork
7/3/14 10:47 a.m.

Do it, great cars.

I did the Brake/Clutch MC 2 different times and didn't find it to be as terrible as led to believe. Though I am thinner and more flexible than most of the population.

I miss my X1/9s.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
7/3/14 4:04 p.m.

Great job- have fun!

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
7/3/14 4:07 p.m.
stafford1500 wrote: The masters are mounted above the pedals, next to the steering column, BEHIND THE DASH. You can see them, but not real get to them easily.

Yeah, you have to stand on your head. Also, leaking brake fluid will cause the plastic sleeve for the pedals to seize and that makes it a complete sacbusting SOB to remove. But for me the worst part is getting the damn flared lines back in place properly.

AAAAUUUUGH.

And I'd still like another Exxie in spite of that.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/5/14 10:48 a.m.
wspohn wrote: I have a soft spot for those cars. Back when I was starting out in motor sport, a friend owned one and ran it in slaloms so I got to try it. Handling was brilliant and he was beating most of the other stuff out there even though the little beast was down a lot of power on the competition. One guy I know was talking about doing an engine swap - I looked and it looks very interesting. If you promise not to tell your wife I told you, see http://www.midwest-bayless.com/storefrontprofiles/DeluxeSFItemDetail.aspx?sid=1&sfid=208227&c=0&i=274106312 They stick a 210 bhp Honda VTEC engine and trans into the car and it looks stock! I could tell you where to look for the Civic turbo kits (they can easily get 500 bhp out of the engines with enough money) but then she'd hunt me down and kill me!

If I had money I would do this. Not turbo though. That engine can make a lot of power na. More than a x1/9 would ever need.

The reason why I never pursued a X1/9 despite seeing it for sale is the engine is underwhelming for me and always though I could just get a MR2 instead. This changes the picture completely.

I wish fiat put a fiat twin cam in there instead.

lateapexer
lateapexer New Reader
7/5/14 10:55 a.m.

Good move. I have a friend who just finished installing a Cobalt SS motor; now converting to centre seat etc. Lots of tossable fun.

turboswede
turboswede UltimaDork
7/5/14 11:43 a.m.

The Chrysler 2.2/2.5 or the 2.0/2.4 drivetrain is a slightly easier swap as the Fiat axles fit into the Chrysler inner CV joints. The rest is normal engine swap stuff (frame rail clearancing, mounts, wiring, plumbing, etc.)

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
K9yKJNdIe20lNuiPdbMm7bXjkQL7Hcy0w2lBelNEUX4jgkQ4plNNCnhSzNpUqPwc