scardeal
scardeal Reader
11/5/10 8:17 a.m.

First, this would be on street tires only, not R-Comps.

Will the Mazda2 or Ford Fiesta be any better than the 3 or Cooper?

It looks like the Mazda undercuts the Cooper by 2-300 lbs, but is also 15Hp down. The 3 is 6-700 lbs heavier, but also boasts an additional 55 hp. The Fiesta looks to be almost on par with the Mini.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
11/5/10 8:36 a.m.

You are so going to love the February issue of Grassroots. Per did a comparison with a handful of the new tiny-sporty hatchbacks, including the MINI and the Mazda2, among others.

I know they tried to get a Fiesta, but couldn't find one in the press pool equipped with a stick. If you believe the hype, it's very close to a Mazda2 in spec.

I can't give up the results, but it's a very interesting matchup. I expect to see some variety at the top of the HS in the next season or two.

Platinum90
Platinum90 SuperDork
11/5/10 8:38 a.m.

I think the 2 has a chance of becoming a fighter.

Though I am still holding out for an early Saturn SC2 being built to a competitive level.

EvanB
EvanB Dork
11/5/10 8:46 a.m.

How about the Fiat 500?

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
11/5/10 9:19 a.m.

I think the Fiat 500 will definitely be in the hunt. People seem to be selling the CR-Z a little short, too.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Dork
11/5/10 9:37 a.m.

Speaking of the CR-Z, I'm wondering how much mod potential there is on the electric side of things. How much would be involved in bumping that electic motor up to 20% more torque? 50%? Double?

How does the hybrid drivetrain handle engine mods? Will anything divide itself by zero if you were to put a turbo in there? (I'm assuming turbo heat + hybrid electronics = bad) What about more basic mods? Seems like with the electric motor providing off-the-line grunt, you could get really aggressive with the cam.

nocones
nocones Reader
11/5/10 10:21 a.m.

What about the Tiburon GT-v6? A guy in our Division has one and beats up on the National level Mini/drivers. The car is a little heavy at 2900lbs, but has good power and a low CG and doesn't seem to have a problem getting the power to the ground. I've driven his car and been VERY impressed by the way it drives. I'm fairly sure you can get a decent amount of tire beneath them on stock wheels as well.

MCarp22
MCarp22 Reader
11/5/10 10:21 a.m.

Doesn't the fiesta have a non-defeatable traction / stability control? Seems to me that would be intrusive for an autocrosser.

Ian F
Ian F Dork
11/5/10 10:44 a.m.

I think it depends on the traction control. I know of one National-level MINI driver that insists a MINI is faster leaving it on. His arguement is that it will only engage if you drive ham-fisted and if you are smooth, it won't interfere. That said, he is on R-comps and you would have to drive pretty ham-fisted to get it to lose traction.

When I drive our MINI with Star Specs, I turn it off but I've forgotten and done runs with it on and don't remember it being too much different. Getting my braking and turn-in points right makes much more of a difference. My VW, on the other hand, has a very intrusive ESP and I shut it off for most sketchy street-driving situations as it makes the handling unpredictable.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
11/5/10 10:51 a.m.

In reply to Tom Heath:

Consider me interested. Are you allowed to list exactly which cars are compared?

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/5/10 11:12 a.m.

Minis better be lookin out for my Accent.

scardeal
scardeal Reader
11/5/10 11:17 a.m.

In reply to RoosterSauce:

Is it an OUTRAGEOUS French accent? Hotlinked!

EricM
EricM Dork
11/5/10 11:24 a.m.

I vote for an "I" stock class.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Webmaster
11/5/10 11:27 a.m.
scardeal wrote: In reply to Tom Heath: Consider me interested. Are you allowed to list exactly which cars are compared?

I'm allowed, but I don't know exactly who made it into the comparison. I'll quiz Per when he gets back from the SEMA show. I had a copy of some of the results data, but can't find it.

I know there was a MINI, a CR-Z, and a Mazda2. I don't think we got a Fiat in time for the test.

RoosterSauce
RoosterSauce Reader
11/5/10 11:30 a.m.

In reply to scardeal:

Naw, it's just a little Korean Accent.

steverife
steverife New Reader
11/5/10 11:52 a.m.

Having driven a Mazda 3 at a fairly high level and test driven both the Mazda 2 and the Fiesta --- I can't see it.

I also think it is worth noting that 2 of the last 3 national champions owned Mazda 3's and no run the class in Mini's.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QxIkba1jeCFLIWhb49evKwNOE5VtOVWhbVHJVgC4qCPMA17OZzzs4s04GQg2cadF