9/19/20 2:07 p.m.
MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
9/19/20 2:16 p.m.

spec crap can racing series are the best

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/19/20 2:31 p.m.

The comment near the end about Nik having a nervous breakdown over all of the pre supplied, bolt on brackets, reminded me of Patrick and his '57.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/19/20 4:34 p.m.

I didn't see, and I'm sure I could look it up, but I wonder what the spec kit cost. Can't be too cheap with the cage and all. Either way, looks like a good time. Probably the only way I'd ever get to do w2w. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/19/20 7:30 p.m.

In reply to barefootskater :

2900 pounds, which at current exchange rates, is roughly 1318 kilograms.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
9/19/20 7:41 p.m.

Dang, 2900GBP for the kit plus about 1000GBP for a car, this is a heck of a deal. Lots of Lemons/Chump builds end up over that price range by the time you're on track for the first time.

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
9/19/20 8:27 p.m.

I'm not a professional, but I don't like the look of that cage. Especially in W2W.

barefootskater
barefootskater UltraDork
9/19/20 8:35 p.m.

In reply to buzzboy :

I'm no pro either, but I'd imagine with such little power they won't be going very fast. Idk. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/19/20 8:42 p.m.
buzzboy said:

I'm not a professional, but I don't like the look of that cage. Especially in W2W.

I was quite impressed myself.  Bolt in, but bolted to custom fit welded plates.  No crash structure removed to make it fit.  Two reasonable door bars.  75 horsepower, so no speed.

What didn't you like?

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
9/19/20 9:11 p.m.

Main hoop has no horizontal or diagonal bar as the harness bar is on the rear mainstays. Needs another triangle in there. I'm also accustomed to super overbuilt cages. That may be it.

newrider3
newrider3 Reader
9/19/20 9:21 p.m.

Normally I would agree that it needs more tubes, but since it's a low power spec series, there won't be any bigger faster cars also out on track to potentially ramrod the little car in a wreck.

Stampie (FS)
Stampie (FS) MegaDork
9/19/20 9:27 p.m.

When I grow up I want a finger sander and a zip tie cutter.

sleepyhead the buffalo
sleepyhead the buffalo Mod Squad
9/20/20 1:51 a.m.

They deal with roll-overs pretty well...

also, you can take them to Spa for a 24hour race with a bunch of other Citroens...

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/20/20 1:55 a.m.
buzzboy said:

Main hoop has no horizontal or diagonal bar as the harness bar is on the rear mainstays. Needs another triangle in there. I'm also accustomed to super overbuilt cages. That may be it.

I expect that the cars will be travelling not-all-that-fast enough that they'd be perfectly safe, possibly safer, with the stock seating/belts/etc, but ripping out all the interior and stuff and putting in a roll cage (that instantly removes like 6" of interior room in all directions) makes people think "ooh race car".

Low buck spec racing is Walter Mitty racing, so hey, if it gets asses in seats....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) MegaDork
9/20/20 1:56 a.m.
Stampie (FS) said:

When I grow up I want a finger sander and a zip tie cutter.

I have a finger sander.  It's awesome.  What I WANT is a supply of 3/8x13 sanding belts.  There are just about impossible to find.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/20/20 2:56 a.m.

Now that I've watched the episode...

1) I hadn't realized how many organizations there were in Britain.  There's at least 3 that have a C1 class:
BARC: https://www.barc.net/championship/trade-team-citroen-c1-challenge/
BRSCC:  https://brscc.co.uk/formulae/brscc-citycar-cup/

and, maybe the original?  C1 Racing Club:  https://c1racing.club/

I think the videos I posted above are from BARC and C1RC.

I can't quite tell if they're all using the same kit, or different ones for each.  The cage, at least, looks to be the same.

stroker
stroker UberDork
9/20/20 8:12 a.m.

So what's the closest comparable car to that in North America?  Geo Metro?  Suzuki Swift?  There ought to be enough of those around to set up an almost identical class in one of the sanctioning bodies...

BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter)
BoxheadTim (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
9/20/20 8:20 a.m.

In reply to stroker :

Mitsubishi Mirage?

The C1s are fairly new compared to what normally runs in crapcan racing over here. Part of this is because vehicles depreciate a lot quicker in the UK for some reason. 

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
9/20/20 8:23 a.m.

Canadians know how to do it.  Honda/Michelin, Players Camaro/Firebird, and then this:

https://youtu.be/xjHZXv_Vx5Y

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) PowerDork
9/20/20 8:45 a.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

Those Micras are about the same power and weight as my ITB VW GTI was 15 years ago, and I had a lot of fun racing it. For those posting about cage needs in a low powered car, I think you still need a decent, triangulated cage cuz...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yh5Wys6Bn28

Go to 4:00 to see a real good wreck in these things...https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ecPJ1Mm8Rks

MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
9/20/20 8:47 a.m.

The Mirage or the Spark are the closest US gets.

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/20/20 10:43 a.m.

apparently the cages are 'compliant' with "Motorsports UK"... which is apparently the national governing body of 4-wheel motorsports in the UK.

their rego's:
https://www.motorsportuk.org/wp-content/uploads/2019/12/Blue-Book-2020-1.pdf

looks like min of 3 M8 grade 8.8 bolts per landing pad, with defined reinforcement pads into the body.

And, there's a bunch of diagrams to show different double shear bolts for adding bars in... looks like 14mm bolts are spec'd for the size cages in the C1?

I don't have a bolt chart handy... and it's been a while since I've done that kind of structural analysis.  But, considering how... ahem... safety focused UK society is; I'm guessing someone has done the math somewhere?

sleepyhead the buffalo
9/20/20 11:12 a.m.

as for the Micra...

I can confirm it's an ok car to drive.  There are a number of reasons why I can't "hoon" it so much... but I can confirm that a 1-2speed shift will kick on the TC.  Hopefully that's disabled in the Canada series.

I agree that the Mirage is probably the closest car in the US to the C1's in the UK.

I think, though, that "B-spec" is probably the closest series.  Unfortunately, the manufacturer requried kits, I think, are ~2x the price of what I've seen for the C1?

I wonder if an "MC" (2005-2010) Accent petitioned/prepped for H-Prod would be the closest to a budget build.  Although, I dunno how competitive it would be.

GridLife's SundaeCup/SpecFit time trial class is probably similar... if not actually w2w.

GIRTHQUAKE
GIRTHQUAKE Dork
9/20/20 11:27 a.m.

I vote the Mitsubishi Mirage for the American version of this racing series.

• They depreciate practically the instant they're given a VIN from the factory.
  • and it could actually help Mitsubishi come back in the states, and I'd argue that Mitsubishi would give pointers for a cage.
  • Stock uses a 3-cylinder making all of 70HP.
  • Body panels comes pre-dented!
  • more than enough families would be getting rid of theirs once they are able, ensuring a stable supply of new race cars.
MrChaos
MrChaos SuperDork
9/20/20 11:33 a.m.
GIRTHQUAKE said:

I vote the Mitsubishi Mirage for the American version of this racing series.

• They depreciate practically the instant they're given a VIN from the factory.
  • and it could actually help Mitsubishi come back in the states, and I'd argue that Mitsubishi would give pointers for a cage.
  • Stock uses a 3-cylinder making all of 70HP.
  • Body panels comes pre-dented!
  • more than enough families would be getting rid of theirs once they are able, ensuring a stable supply of new race cars.

to disable abs and traction control you just have to unhook the wheel sensors.

also factory 14" tires

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
iX6dkcvxBWv0xe0i7Penwb2XqXvnJqIY7C6Kh3DGLl1iRzcWHa3JrN6DhUzaKcdH