G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
6/11/08 12:39 p.m.

Hey guys I have some questions about the 1991 BMW 318is for use in G Stock, I went looking through the archives at SCCA to see what older car might be a good option for me to use in this class, since I know my SAAB isn't going to be coming in first anytime soon. After looking at the results for the nationals I saw a BMW 318is was in the top 5 not to far back, 2006 I think.

The MINI S is just too far out of my price range, so I figured this would be a good alternative in the $3000 and less category.

Anyways I just wanted to know more about the 1991 318is, how much parts are for it, what problem areas to look for and general stuff. Since I'm more of a SAAB guy I need the BMW guys to help me out.

Or if anyone has some other suggestions for a competitive G Stock ride speak up! lol

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
6/11/08 11:28 p.m.

I can't believe no one has any suggestions..

stan
stan Dork
6/12/08 6:35 a.m.

I'm sure someone will give their opinion soon.

Where are you located? In the local CL there's a '91 for $500 I've been thinking about looking at in person (the pictures don't look too bad). Could be a great start to your project. Dayton, Ohio CL btw.

Stan

moxnix
moxnix New Reader
6/12/08 7:02 a.m.

Are you looking at nationals or national tour results? Because nationals has been pretty much just Mini's.

I don't think there are any other cars that can keep up with the mini in GS other than the SER Spec V on a good day and maybe the civic si but they are both newer also.

If you want a class where older cheaper cars are competitive look at HS or ES.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
6/12/08 10:54 a.m.

Thanks for the input guys, what would you suggest for E-Stock then, that would be on the more affordable side?

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
6/12/08 10:57 a.m.

The answer for E stock is Miata!

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
6/12/08 10:59 a.m.
92dxman wrote: The answer for E stock is Miata!

...or 2g MR2, also affordable.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
6/12/08 11:41 a.m.

Not a huge Miata fan, but the MR2's have always appealed to me. So the MK1 MR2 wouldn't be a good option?

92dxman
92dxman New Reader
6/12/08 12:14 p.m.

I think the mk1 MR2 could be an option but I think they are getting harder to find in good shape. Plus they are getting up there in age. The mk2's are a bit heavier and porkier but seem like a better car and are more common and seem to be more competititve.

moxnix
moxnix New Reader
6/12/08 12:43 p.m.

If you want to be competitive nationally in stock class for ES it will be either the N/A MK2 MR2 or the 94-97 miata (R package preferred)

Capt Slow
Capt Slow New Reader
6/12/08 12:48 p.m.

FWIW I have a buddy who has a mk1 MR2, it doesn't seem as fast as it ought to be, the car seems to have some brake balance issues (the front wheels lock up if you even look at the break pedal), and from what my friend says its endemic to all first gen MR2s

I don't know if it would be competitive in the stock categories

Of course is car has all kinds of issues...

z31maniac
z31maniac HalfDork
6/12/08 2:41 p.m.

STX or DSP is where you will have a chance at being competitive in an E30.

Take a look at Vorschalg Motorsports, they have a '91 318iS that they are building for STX. But keep in mind they have $2500 just in the coilovers.

But if you're just looking to go out and have some fun, then just do to the car what you want and go out and have fun.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
6/12/08 5:52 p.m.
moxnix wrote: Are you looking at nationals or national tour results? Because nationals has been pretty much just Mini's.

I looked today since I couldn't remember, it was the 2005 Finals, a BMW 318is took forth, but after looking he was a good second slower than the MINIS, dang those little buggers.

moxnix
moxnix New Reader
6/12/08 9:10 p.m.
G_Stock wrote:
moxnix wrote: Are you looking at nationals or national tour results? Because nationals has been pretty much just Mini's.
I looked today since I couldn't remember, it was the 2005 Finals, a BMW 318is took forth, but after looking he was a good second slower than the MINIS, dang those little buggers.

I just looked and the link on the scca site for the 2005 ProSolo Finale (ProSolo is a little different than regular solo) actually links to the results for the Toledo Pro not the Finale and the BMW is 5+ seconds back from the minis.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
6/13/08 9:23 a.m.

Yeah I meant to say he was slower by a full second or more every run so he was 5 seconds down like you said by the end.

Ahh screw it I'll just buy and old G-Body and throw in a 4 speed Jerico and some old NASCAR suspension parts and run it in whatever class it might end up in and have a good time!

moxnix
moxnix New Reader
6/13/08 10:30 a.m.
G_Stock wrote: Yeah I meant to say he was slower by a full second or more every run so he was 5 seconds down like you said by the end. Ahh screw it I'll just buy and old G-Body and throw in a 4 speed Jerico and some old NASCAR suspension parts and run it in whatever class it might end up in and have a good time!

The times are based on your best result on each side so he was down about 3 seconds a side to the winner on a 35 second course.

sounds like a good plan for fun.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
6/13/08 11:54 a.m.

If you aren't worried about class then take that 318 and stick an LS(X) engine in it!

JohnW
JohnW None
6/15/08 8:30 p.m.

A 91 318is won D-Stock in the early or mid 90s with Bob Tunnell at the wheel.

In GS, it should be locally very competitive. I would start with Konis, BMW OEM offset upper strut bushings (they allow for an extra half degree neg. camber), bigger front anti roll bar (lots of body roll stock), the usual round of synthetics and a drop-in K&N air filter. A supersprint cat back exhaust is also an option, but only adds 1-2 hp, despite costing more than $500.

G_Stock
G_Stock New Reader
6/16/08 1:07 p.m.

Thanks man, I was wondering about the exhaust. What brand roll bar would you recommend?

Which Koni's also?

Any pointers on buying an older BMW like this. It'll be pretty much a track car only, but I will drive it to the Auto-X

racerdave600
racerdave600 New Reader
6/16/08 4:37 p.m.
Capt Slow wrote: FWIW I have a buddy who has a mk1 MR2, it doesn't seem as fast as it ought to be, the car seems to have some brake balance issues (the front wheels lock up if you even look at the break pedal), and from what my friend says its endemic to all first gen MR2s I don't know if it would be competitive in the stock categories Of course is car has all kinds of issues...

I disagree totally on the brakes. I raced one for many years, including building an IT car, and never had brake lock up issues other than what a rear heavy design brings you. You have to have a good working system, and balance your braking with proper pads. In fact, it could out brake just about every other car out there. You have to also be careful on your spring rates, and make sure it can transfer a little weight to the front under braking. A lot of people go too stiff and it can't get any weight on the front for braking or grip for turn in. What the car lacks is torque, and that's why the 2nd gen cars are better at autocrossing, that and they put their power down better.

If you want to go play and be competitive in a MKI MR2, you need to look at DP. The other classes aren't real kind to it, but its a ton of fun to drive.

As for the original post, the 318is is down on power a little compared to the Mini, but it still handles well. If you want to be competitive on a national level, you're going to have to spring for good (read very expensive) shocks and learn how to tune them, as well as the other tuning parameters of the chassis. And given the age, a good, to the limit engine rebuild would probably also be required. Don't under estimate how much better a car will run with a fresh rebuild, especially a good head.

I've also thought about this as a choice for a car, but it would probably take another $4k to $6k (something like Ohlin shocks, VERY lightweight wheels, and a good rebuild, not to mention new bushings, etc.) to really make it run anywhere near the front of a national grid. That's still a lot less than a new Mini though!

JohnW
JohnW New Reader
6/16/08 10:57 p.m.

The Koni Sports (the yellow ones) will probably be your best bet. But research this/don't take it from me ... I gave into to a good deal on Bilstein Sports a while back. (The Konis are better.)

Also, check out http://www.m42club.com/forums/ if you haven't been there already. This is a good place to get some background on these cars before you are ready to buy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uiy8wbCMNZrO8YiA7PYtsJd1KHgWaQv0eqh9dh85aF8bRkuGvCm21JpEq4c1fYO7