jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
2/24/09 7:24 a.m.

I am shopping another Miata.
'92 w/104k miles but it has this dent. I am not a body work man and have yet to drive a few hours to see the car. What are your thoughts on this dent shown in the photo?

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/24/09 7:57 a.m.

Junkyard door + Junkyard fender = easy fix.. Might need a hinge. Check to make sure no damage to the frame. I don't think here will be though.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
2/24/09 9:06 a.m.

Assuming there is no underlying damage you could just bend the fender and door so they open and close without interference and race the bejesus out of it as it sits. My current Miata acquisition has some guardrail rash. Runs and drives great.

psteav
psteav Reader
2/24/09 11:06 a.m.

I had the same dent on my car. New fender is about $100, and I cleaned up the the dent on the door (although mine wasn't as deep) with a file and some bondo.

On second thought, a junkyard door is probably a better option. Mine wasn't nearly as deep.

joey48442
joey48442 SuperDork
2/24/09 11:26 a.m.

I will have a door for sale. It amy be white, or it may be black. I'm in MI.

Joey

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
2/24/09 4:43 p.m.

Door=replace. Fender could be fixed, but if you can get one for $100 or so why bother?

George
George New Reader
2/24/09 8:49 p.m.

Get a cheap can of Bondo and a case of Miller Lite The Official Beer of Hong Norr South and just practice with a "dumb board" aka long file. It's not a metallic color so it is forgiving. If you need step by step give me a hollar. Or you could just buy a case of beer and a $100 bill and take it to Econo.

Woody
Woody Dork
2/24/09 8:55 p.m.

Red Miatas are the easiest ones to find in the junkyard. Remove your bad fender first so you know where all the bolts are when you get to the yard.

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
2/24/09 9:24 p.m.

wonder what that car hit or was hit by? I see little in the way of scrapes

jrw1621
jrw1621 HalfDork
2/25/09 7:01 a.m.

The owner claims that his kid backed into it with the family truck.
Thanks for the inputs.
I think the best ideas for me would be to find a red miata being parted out and swap in a new fender and door. This would result in the paint not matching perfectly but should provide an overall acceptable appearance. My thoughts are to buy this one, keep it until mid summer and then flip it for a profit.

Of course, I hate to say too much about the car or show too much in fear that someone here will swoop in and buy it first.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
TC0X4eIsTOcfWjUtcou3vt79T6ofDizzqwWPt4aSACAE6bvVBGEMe4ek3tL7bgd5