Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/23/24 10:36 a.m.

On my 76 2002, I'm planning on building the brake lines, instead of buying a kit, so....I need recommendations for a good quality double flaring tool. Also, in the past, I've bent brake and fuel lines on sockets,  and so on, is that a reasonable go to, or should I step up to a tubing bender?

Ranger50
Ranger50 MegaDork
4/23/24 10:42 a.m.

Hydraulic flare tool. Dont care if its $500, it's worth every penny.

Last brake line I had to bend, I used a mounting boss on the front of a truck 5.7 hemi bracket for the alternator and the concrete I was working on to straighten out the coiled line.

Racebrick
Racebrick HalfDork
4/23/24 10:45 a.m.

I have this, and it's worth every penny. https://www.summitracing.com/parts/kti-70081 I also have a nice bending tool, which are like $25 dollars. I have used it 10 or more times, and have never had to redo a flare, or had one leak.

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
4/23/24 11:01 a.m.

The Mastercool Hydraulic flaring tool set is great, if you want an heirloom tool and want the flexibility to do multiple different sizes and flare types.

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B06WD86RLH/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&psc=1

This is the one that I purchased, and it does AN Flares, GM Trans Cooler (or hose barb) flares, double and bubble flares, and some others.  It really shines if you are doing something off car.  It can be used under the car, but can be a bit bulky.

If you are doing a bunch of brake line double flares in 3/16", (not bubble flares), this tool is incredibly handy and maneuverable. 

https://www.amazon.com/gp/product/B07RTG5HTM/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_search_asin_title?ie=UTF8&th=1

I will say that for brake lines, I've moved to Nicopp line, as it is so much nicer and easier to work with, regardless of tool type.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
4/23/24 11:04 a.m.

NiCopp and Mastercool FTMFW

Trent
Trent PowerDork
4/23/24 11:11 a.m.

This variety is my favorite

the Eastwood makes stainless line flaring as easy as the soft stuff.

The hydraulic type like this 

Are the same thing but require three hands and can usually do a flare with the line on a car.

If you are using Nicopp/cunifer/ez-bend lines anything is a bender.  If you are using stainless I prefer this type of bender

I have done at least 25 cars in the last decade in full stainless and the tools I have narrowed it down to are the eastwood bender, a ridgid tubing cutter and that style of bender.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/23/24 11:12 a.m.

Thanks for all the info guys!!! Keep it coming!

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/23/24 11:16 a.m.

I used NiCopp tubing and a flare tool like the pic below last summer.  Didn't need a bending tool at all.

Just be sure to debur the end of the cut tube.

Eastwood On Car Brake Line Flaring Tool for 3/16 Tubing

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/23/24 11:24 a.m.

Anyone use the Vevor tool. Looks like the Eastwood one but at a discount

RacetruckRon
RacetruckRon SuperDork
4/23/24 12:17 p.m.

NiCopp plus Cal-Van 165 has been good to me for the last 4 years of brakeline use. And then this guy for bubble/ISO flares link 2

paddygarcia
paddygarcia HalfDork
4/23/24 6:40 p.m.

Don't forget a good cutter - a good flare starts with an even, square cut.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
4/23/24 6:51 p.m.

Some auto parts stores loan out tools, you may want to see if you can borrow a flare tool locally and then save the cost of buying one.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/23/24 7:54 p.m.

It's the gold standard. I have never made a single bad flare since I got it. Made plenty of bad flares with other tools before it though. Does all varieties of flares and quick connects and whatever else a car guy could need. 

I just used it last week to do some line fabrication work on a vehicle with a stubborn ABS brake problem. I can 100% guarantee you, that particular vehicle will never have another ABS brake issue, ever. 

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
4/23/24 8:20 p.m.

Replacing all the hard lines on my 2002 (brake and fuel) is on the medium-term agenda, so this is relevant to my interests. The tool recommendations seem fairly definitive, but does anyone have a good source for NiCopp and fittings? I've read a few reports of cheap NiCopp lines bursting under pressure, which is most certainly something I want to avoid.

EvanB
EvanB MegaDork
4/23/24 9:22 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Cheapest source I've found for nicopp is rockauto. I use the AGS brand which is good quality.

Docwemple
Docwemple Dork
4/23/24 11:13 p.m.

In reply to Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) :

Looks like they stopped producing this part number

j_tso
j_tso Dork
4/23/24 11:40 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I used SUR&R lines bought from Summit.

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
4/24/24 5:37 a.m.
Docwemple said:

Looks like it has blue handle now instead of the black. Amazon has the kits under the new numbers. 

HotNotch
HotNotch Reader
4/24/24 9:51 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:
Docwemple said:

Looks like it has blue handle now instead of the black. Amazon has the kits under the new numbers. 

Mine has the blue handle, bought ~ 5 years ago or so

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
79tTt5ao22VcPZeAIAWJ97IvSqyWfEoIOdWjEECyDbp2BmJiVrTQEsXPMJ5sDWyY