toad9977
toad9977 New Reader
4/28/10 8:57 p.m.

So I've been noticing that my breaks have been getting worse for awhile, but being a poor college stoodent, I've been putting off buying new ones until my drinking funds were stable. That was all fine and dandy until I had to slam on the brakes today and continued going at the same rate as before I applied them. So needless to say the beer fund is going to be tapped and and I'm going to be getting some new breaks. I've got the TurnerMotorsport slotted rotors on the way, but i"m held up on the pads. I like the Hawk HPS Street pads, but ideally I would like to find some a little cheaper, so I was also looking at the Satisfied GranSport 6 pads from tirerack and the Mintex Xtreme pads from Bavarian Auto and the Axxis Ultimate Street pads. Anyone have any experience with any of these pads? They all seem fine from the descriptions, but I don't know how well they will be for dd and the occasional auto-x event. Its a BMW 318is so its not gunna go too fast, but I still like to be able to stop. THanks in advance for the help!

Dan

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard SonDork
4/29/10 5:46 a.m.

You're in college?

Btw, your problem sounds like a rusted out brakeline, not subpar rotors and pads.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/29/10 7:37 a.m.

Be nice Tommy, creative spelling is nothing new here.

I agree with you however, the OP's description sounds more like a hydraulic issue than hardware.

On a budget, I would skip the slotted rotors in favor of brembo blanks for $35-40 ea. I bought the HPS pads from one of the well-known online retailers/spam generators for under $150. Are they better than the cheapos from NAPA at half the price? Yes. Are they twice as good? Not even close.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
4/29/10 8:23 a.m.

OEM quality rotors should be plenty for your purposes and would be less expensive, but it sounds like you already have the slotted rotors ordered. I've had good luck with Axxis Metalmaster pads myself. A good source for parts is http://www.blunttech.com/ , he knows e30s pretty well and can give you advice on your choices.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
4/29/10 8:28 a.m.

It doesn't sound like you're having a pads/rotors issue. When's the last time you checked your brake fluid level? Ever had it bled or changed?

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
4/29/10 9:53 a.m.

I like the Axxis Ultimates. Perhaps a little more than the HPS.

toad9977
toad9977 New Reader
4/29/10 9:56 a.m.

Well I haven't officially ordered anything yet, but everything is a credit card number away from being there. Brake fluid level is fine, but they're going to get bled anyway. I guess what i am hearing is just stick with OEM stuff? I guess I just budgeted myself $200 and the rotors with the pads with the exception of the Hawks fit in there nicely. BTW, I am almost metal on metal, so I'm going to need the brakes anyway. And stuart in mn, its an e36, but that site does seem pretty nice. Thanks for the help!

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker SuperDork
4/29/10 9:59 a.m.

The stock pads are more than enough bite for a street aplication. Look for the puddle under the car. You likely blew out a dry rotted $8 rubber brake line. The ones that go from the body to the trailing arms in the rear are easy to overlook and difficult to access. Murphy's law applied says those are probably it.

914Driver
914Driver SuperDork
4/29/10 9:59 a.m.
Toad said: That was all fine and dandy until I had to slam on the brakes today and continued going at the same rate as before I applied them

Did the pedal go to the floor? Did it feel squishy? Does it feel different now than it did yesterday? Does it feel differently than on another car? Once the car was stopped, did the brakes mysteriously heal and now they're fine?

Dan

toad9977
toad9977 New Reader
4/29/10 10:08 a.m.

So that satement may have been a tad exaggerated, but not too far off. All of the brake lines are fine and there's no puddle of fluid under my car. It felt like really bad brake fade or that they were all glazed over to be honest. There was stopping power there, I just had to push a little more than I really wanted to for an everyday type situation. The pedal resistance was what I've been experiencing for the last 1 1/2 years since I ahve had it.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
4/29/10 10:22 a.m.

I'm not so familiar with the e36, but could that be a sign of the brake booster beginning to fail?

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
4/29/10 10:32 a.m.

what model of BMW is it? If you have a 318 anything, you have smaller rotors and calipers in the front. A cheap upgrade is to move to the vented brakes from the 328.

I run the Hawk HPS and the ATE star slotted rotors.. and while I LOVE the HPS.. I hate those stupid rotors. they hold water when it rains and the first half second of braking after a long time without using them.. and you have no brakes untl the water gets squeazed out or boiled off.

Definatly replace the fluid and bleed the brakes. Brake fluid will suck water right out of the air.. even through your brake lines, causing corrosion and fade.

Also, most BMW have a 'check brake" light that comes on when the pads get too low.. is your's on?

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/29/10 11:09 a.m.

e36 brakes are all the same, except the M3. 318, 325, 328 - no difference. I've also seen enough of the brake pad wear sensors zip-tied to the strut housing so as not to trust them.

$200 is doable for all four corners - pads and rotors - if you shop around and skip the racey stuff.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
4/29/10 11:10 a.m.

While stock pads do a great job of stopping, I'm going to recommend an upgrade to something like the Akebono Euro ceramic pads. I've had them on my E38 for a couple years now, and just put a set on the Range Rover. Great feel, and no overheat/fade issues, even on these heavy cars. Best part? No brake dust coated wheels anymore. Even when the car hasn't been washed in a couple months (like in the winter) this is the dirtiest thewheels get:

Anyone who has spent time around BMWs understands what I'm talking about.

z31maniac
z31maniac Dork
4/29/10 11:46 a.m.
bludroptop wrote: e36 brakes are all the same, except the M3. 318, 325, 328 - no difference. I've also seen enough of the brake pad wear sensors zip-tied to the strut housing so as not to trust them. $200 is doable for all four corners - pads and rotors - if you shop around and skip the racey stuff.

I thought the Ti's and 4 cyl Z's had non-vented rotors front and rear?

He never said it was a Ti, just throwing that out there.

bludroptop
bludroptop SuperDork
4/29/10 12:18 p.m.

I stand corrected. Ti models did have solid rotors until mid-'98. Don't know about the Z cars, I never really think of them as e36, although I guess technically they are.

Not to go off topic, but there is a 2.3 Z3 sitting in a driveway three doors from my house, and it hasn't moved in about 6 months. The last thing I need is another car, but I'm starting to get tempted to low-ball the owner - so I may get more familiar with them soon!

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
4/29/10 4:20 p.m.

I always liked the z3....

Kompff09
Kompff09 New Reader
10/12/10 12:12 a.m.

I also use Akebono for my Benz C350. Bought the performance part when the used car dealership told me that the ones in place needs replacement. Since I had it, never had a problem.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/12/10 5:34 a.m.

Zombie Canoe!!!!
Brought back from the dead of 6 months ago.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
uxxMGyUIXPzSdqEhEA2HfA8xFriPuWvlHXAYNwadr77aNhql21EaZJT8V6kLPIcc