CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
11/30/08 9:56 p.m.

I want more light in front of me when driving (this is for the Vic) and i have come to two conclusions.

1) Upgrade the headlight harness (forum regulars swear by it)

2) add more lights

Im thinking of starting off by doing the DIY headlight harness upgrade and see how that works. But then i got to thinking. Why not just add more lights.

Could i just get a set of snowplow lights and wire those in behind my grill? is it legal? worth it?

Is this just a bad idea again....

benzbaron
benzbaron New Reader
11/30/08 10:35 p.m.

I need more light on the benz and from what I've learned is that you relay the headlights so you don't pull so much juice through the wiring harness. You get a drop in voltage through the harness verses a relay.

After that you actually start addressing issues with the lights themselves including conversions to brighter bulbs. I'm not certain about what you'd have to do, but you drive a very common car so you aren't the only person out there looking for and upgrade. Good topic and good luck!

slantvaliant
slantvaliant Reader
12/1/08 8:39 a.m.

Poke around in HERE for lighting info.

P71
P71 HalfDork
12/1/08 9:40 a.m.

Harness upgrade. Requirement on all modern Fords.

car39
car39 Reader
12/1/08 9:45 a.m.

At the risk of asking a previously answered question, what is the harness upgrade? Is it a kit? Homebuilt?

I did run a search on headlight harness upgrade and nothing came back

Keith
Keith SuperDork
12/1/08 10:36 a.m.

You can do the job with a relay, an inline fuse and some fat wire. Basically, you want to make sure that you're getting full voltage at the lights.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 HalfDork
12/1/08 11:19 a.m.

HIDs y0

JmfnB
JmfnB SuperDork
12/1/08 11:41 a.m.

Crown Vic? Remove the faded and yellowed lamps and install new clear ones!

jrw1621
jrw1621 Reader
12/1/08 11:42 a.m.

Every P71 that was ever parked right behind me had PLENTY of light! You may need to install/re-install the light bar.

pigeon
pigeon Reader
12/1/08 1:14 p.m.

Check your DMV regs but likely not legal to have more than 2 forward-facing non-fogs lit at once. Make sure the stock lenses are clear, run fat wire and a relay for full voltage, and see what you can see then. After that consider brighter bulbs, though even that's likely not much help if the lenses reflector design are crappy (I don't know if the CV is or isn't crappy, just saying...)

Woody
Woody Dork
12/1/08 2:34 p.m.

You don't want snowplow lights. They have less range than fog lights. They're designed for when you're going less than 10 mph and looking at the ground.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic New Reader
12/2/08 3:50 a.m.

In VA you can have up to 4 forward facing driving lights (this includes the headlights), but they are required to be aligned.

CarKid1989
CarKid1989 Reader
12/7/08 9:15 p.m.

ok. so im going the upgraded wiring route. Does anyone make a quality kit fairly cheap? im pricing out material cost and time VS. buying a premade kit.

Thoughts>?

Thanks

walterj
walterj HalfDork
12/7/08 9:28 p.m.

How about 3 or 4 of those 2 million candepower deer spotters mounted Rally style on a cop pushbar? They are 12v already and can double as heat and auxiliary lighting for your garage.

Tommy Suddard
Tommy Suddard
12/7/08 10:32 p.m.

I put some Hella driving lights on the Geo. They're brighter than the stock lights.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior New Reader
12/7/08 11:18 p.m.

If money isn't an object...Sylvania xenarc HID auxiliary low beam headlights? they're bright... http://www.suvlights.com/product_info.php?products_id=46

pinchvalve
pinchvalve SuperDork
12/8/08 10:03 a.m.

The lenses on my old Intrepid were badly yellowed and crazed. I polished them (fine grit sandpaper, Mother's Wheel Polish, buffing wheel) and it made a world of difference. Better cutoff, more defined beam, brighter output.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c9HZ7VXlJtoADeYa0yihzvqH26G9bXJKOLK30HDPSUc7mxawbNnqN9I1GRQ8rhTp