1 2
Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/10/15 7:30 p.m.

Every Wednesday, we get a small weekly newspaper that covers about six local towns. They have a tiny classified section, and on any given week, there are about six ads in there. I glance at it every week, but have never found anything of interest.

About two months ago, the paper came in the mail on a typical Wednesday and I didn't get a chance to look at it until Thursday night. I spotted an ad for a car that I thought might make a nice replacement for my Miata. It was in better condition, had a little more power, fewer miles, and was being sold by the daughters of the original, elderly owner who had recently passed away. It was being offered for $3000, which I thought was a fair price, as these cars had been on my radar for a few months.

I called the seller (son in law), told him that I had the next day off, and asked if I could see the car the next morning (Friday). We met at the assisted living facility where his father in law had lived, I checked the car out and took it for a short ride. I wasn't in love with the car, but I really liked it and could see myself owning it. I told him so, and then he said that someone else had looked at the car the night before (probably before I had spoken to him on the phone for the first time). That guy told him that he could get him a check for the full amount on Saturday.

I had $3000 in cash in my pocket and offered it up. The guy said thanks but, "I don't want to be a dick. If the other guy shows up with a check tomorrow, I feel that I need to sell him the car. If he doesn't, it's yours."

I was a little annoyed that he didn't mention any of this on the phone, but I said that I could respect the fact that he was trying to be fair to the first guy and asked that he call me the next day if the guy didn't come through.

My attempt to lure him with $3000 in cash on the spot was probably dulled by the presence of a fairly new Rolls Royce parked nearby...

Anyway, he contacted me the next day and told me that the other guy had showed up with a check and the car was gone. I was bummed, as it was a pretty nice car for the price, but it really wasn't a great time for me to buy a car anyway, as I was having knee surgery a week later.

I more or less forgot about it for about a month, though every once in a while, I would kick myself for not having checked the paper immediately. I screwed up and I lost.

So now, six weeks later, an ad pops up on Craigslist in the next town over. It looks an awful lot like the $3000 car that I looked at, but the asking price is $6500. I contact the seller and ask a few very specific questions pertaining to the car, without letting on that I have seen it before. It is clearly the same car, and he has done nothing to it since he purchased a few weeks earlier.

Now I'm pretty annoyed. I get it. I've flipped cars before for a profit (though I've always done a tone of work on them first) and he beat me to it fair and square. I almost feel bad for the original seller ("I don't want to be a dick...").

I think I still want the car, but the fact that I got beat on it may be contributing to that. There are better examples out there, but most are around his $6500 price or more. I haven't contacted him again.

A few nights ago, I check the ad again and he has dropped his price to $5500. It's pretty clear that he didn't really want the car and was just looking to turn a quick profit. I sense that he is starting to panic.

I'm thinking about going to look at the car, take it for a ride to confirm that I want it and offering $4000. Sure, it's $1500 below his new asking price, but at that point, I will mention that I know that he paid $3000 for it a few weeks earlier and can turn an easy $1000 profit without expending any effort on the deal. He runs the risk of sitting on a rear wheel drive car that he will have a hard time selling in New England as winter approaches. If he counter's with $4001, I will probably walk away.

What would GRM do if you were in his shoes?

Stampie
Stampie Reader
10/10/15 7:43 p.m.

His shoes? I'd take your stack and walk away happy. If I were you I wouldn't mention that you know what he bought it for. Might make him defensive. $4g offer in cash and let him know that you can't go higher. Let him do the math.

kazoospec
kazoospec Dork
10/10/15 7:45 p.m.

I don't buy cars I don't want, so I'll probably never be in his position, but I'd probably take the $1000 easy profit and call it a day. If I were in your shoes, and I didn't really need/want the car, I probably wouldn't bail him out by offering a quick profit. If I needed/wanted the car, I'd ask him if it comes with snow tires to remind him RWD season ends soon. Then, I'd offer less - say $3.2 to 3.5K.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/10/15 7:47 p.m.

I like the snow tire angle

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
10/10/15 7:47 p.m.

I guess the big question is - is it worth $4k to you when you're not pissed at the seller?

If it is, I'd be tempted to offer 3750 with a target price of $4k. I don't have a problem letting him know that I know what he paid for it, if he's an honest seller that'll either get him talking if he did anything to the car that wasn't obvious, or he may decide to take it.

The other one strategy is "here's my number, call me when you're at the realistic price of $4k and I'll come over and pick it up".

pimpm3
pimpm3 Dork
10/10/15 7:49 p.m.

If the car is worth 5500 and you can get it for 4000 you both win. It sucks that you know what he got it for but at the end of the day it is worth what it is worth and 4000 sounds like a good price relative to the others you found.

curtis73
curtis73 PowerDork
10/10/15 7:52 p.m.

Yeah. This will sound a little existential, but spite as a motivation isn't good for your heart either. He has his own path to walk.

And it wasn't his fault that you didn't get the car, it was the original seller who pulled that questionable trick on you.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/10/15 7:53 p.m.

In reply to BoxheadTim:

It is worth $4000 to me. If I don't get it, I would probably spend another $2500 on a more powerful version of the same car or the same on something completely different.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/10/15 7:54 p.m.

In reply to TheEnd:

Sorry, too soon.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/10/15 7:57 p.m.

In reply to curtis73:

Spite was probably the wrong choice of words. I'm bummed that I didn't get the car and annoyed at the way that it went down. I'd still like to own the car.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim UltimaDork
10/10/15 8:00 p.m.

Talk to the seller and see if you can make a deal, I'd say.

Of course now we're all curious what car you're looking at...

HappyAndy
HappyAndy UberDork
10/10/15 8:01 p.m.

It's OK if you still want it, just don't pay this guy more than you would have paid the first guy, or anyone else.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy PowerDork
10/10/15 8:13 p.m.

Offer him $3500 without snows, $4000 with snows.

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
10/10/15 8:16 p.m.

Z3 2.5?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/10/15 8:18 p.m.
2002maniac wrote: Z3 2.5?

Nope.

Slippery
Slippery Dork
10/10/15 8:31 p.m.

The way I look at this is there is a car for sale that you want. You offer what it is worth to you regardless of what the owner paid for it. Don't dwell on that too much.

rusty
rusty New Reader
10/10/15 8:40 p.m.

It almost sounds like the girl you don't care about until she is with one of your friends.

That being said, show up with 3500 cash.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
10/10/15 10:07 p.m.

Cmon man! What's the car? It's the only way you get my opinion, I'm holding it hostage till I know.

Slippery
Slippery Dork
10/10/15 10:41 p.m.

Is this the RX-7?

Woody
Woody MegaDork
10/11/15 5:18 a.m.
Slippery wrote: Is this the RX-7?

No.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
10/11/15 6:34 a.m.

Had this happen to me two years ago. Found a car on C-list several, several states away that was pretty much exactly what I was looking for. Spoke to the guy and he'd owned it for dozens of years, had built the thing himself and wanted it to go to a good home. We talked about the logistics of a fly-n-drive and I said I'd try to put the pieces together but if he sold it beforehand I'd understand.

He wound up selling the car the morning that I called to confirm I could make it happen.

I saw the same car on ebay 2 weeks later. The guy who bought it had told the seller he would take good care of it, would be in a good home, yada yada but he had bought it to flip. He was too lazy to even install a loose piece of chrome that car came with and was so bold as to use several of the same photos the original seller had used.

I despised the flipper because he was a liar, not because he had beaten me to a car. I LOL'd as the car remained on ebay for two months while he couldn't turn a profit on it. I think it finally sold for a couple hundred more than he paid. Karma.

KyAllroad
KyAllroad SuperDork
10/11/15 6:38 a.m.

Given everyone's fear and loathing of older cars from the salt/ rust belt I'd be looking real hard at something more southern anyway. Would your money buy a cleaner example down in North Carolina? Convenience is nice but lack of corrosion is nicer.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf UltraDork
10/11/15 6:46 a.m.

Go look at it tell him you saw another but turned it down at $3000 and then say this ones in the same shape offer $2500. When he looks at you funny tell him the story and settle on $3200

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT HalfDork
10/11/15 7:32 a.m.

Don't do anything that, after the fact, will give you any reason to regret your purchase.

I think that means don't let your negative feelings impact your purchase decisions. It might bring some negative emotion to your ownership.

Knurled
Knurled UltimaDork
10/11/15 7:43 a.m.
Woody wrote: What would GRM do if you were in his shoes?

Your $4000 offer is generous. If he counteroffers higher, counteroffer the same amount lower than $4000.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EGYL0fv37L3Yacuo4V93Nskkni1n6sRIMxreDY5lTjl0osqRXCM9yxWMl69S9394