1 2
wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr PowerDork
1/11/24 9:27 a.m.
Driven5 said:
z31maniac said:
mfennell said:
fusion66 said:

I expect  the larger intercooler will increase lag due to the increased volume of the system past the turbo (it has a larger chamber to bring up to pressure). How much and is it a meaningful amount? I have no idea. 

I have been told by an OEM-adjacent engineer that is absolutely a thing with big intercoolers.  He also said that many of them were poorly designed as well (though I don't recall the details).

Volume/lag was my first thought. That's more space the turbo has to pressurize before you get the goods. 

The 13T flows 390CFM at 14.7psi, which is 184 liters per second. How much intake volume is an 'oversized' intercooler actually adding?...

This is a great video that yall should watch.

Basically, at 184l/s, it would take like .05 seconds to fill a fairly large volume.

Or in other words, "lag" will not change even going to a YUGE intercooler.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/18/24 7:37 a.m.

So the answer to this question is that an intercooler can be too big to fit a Baja engine bay. I'm sure I could make it fit if I was willing to do a lot of Fab work or make a lot more compromises but I'm not. Time to start looking for an STI or stock intercooler or something else. First I'm going to see if I can fix the factory one good enough for a daily and the challenge car

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
1/18/24 7:38 a.m.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rvTC2CBHSJLFzMqF6QjTJLzVol63QC1h3Xuu9Jy3OLVKSCFXe3cgayB9Zd0uchYP