z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
8/14/23 11:01 a.m.

To be fair, I'm an OEM+ kinda guy. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
8/14/23 11:04 a.m.
RaabTheSaab said:

Modified cars in general. Other than lifted trucks, I don't see too many cars that appear or sound obviously modified. I'm guessing that the price of new/used cars have put a damper on that and that many young people who would have been the culprits of those badly modified Toyota/Hondas/Mazdas no longer have an interest in the scene. If they have to choose between having a car, going to college, or getting an apartment, the car is frequently going to go in the back burner. 

Pretty much this.  Saw a decently clean, nicely modified Integra in traffic the other day with a younger guy driving and I smiled.  It was nice to see.  Typically unless you go to a car show there just isn't much out there any more.  Even all the big diesel trucks are kind of gone.  There are still a few, but the 1998 24 Valve Cummins with stacks are all gone, just like the older Super Dutys and cat-eye Duramaxes with 21 year olds driving them.  

calteg
calteg SuperDork
8/14/23 11:51 a.m.

There was a brief trend of running ridiculous offset wheels in the late 90s. Almost always saw it on Grand Prix and Grand Ams for some reason. Wheels would stick 4-5" out past the fenders because "wider track = handles better."  It was a problem that solved itself when the wheel studs inevitably snapped

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/14/23 11:58 a.m.

Smoked headlight covers.

David S. Wallens
8/14/23 12:04 p.m.
z31maniac said:

"How much time you got buddy?"

Oh, totally. Let me crack open my old Automod catalog. They supplied a ton of gear, and I worked there 1992-’94. You ever wanna talk louvers, chrome luggage racks or carpet dashboard covers? I can probably still recall a part number or two. We were a W/D for all the heavies: Momo, Nardi, Kamei, Zender, Pacific, Xenon, Amco, GTS, VDO, Pacesetter, Hella, K&N, Koni, Addco, etc., etc. 

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
8/14/23 12:25 p.m.

Add-on fog lights under the bumper, mono-wiper conversions, and I'll throw in the cool sticker of the time range which ranged from - 'Oakley - Thermonuclear Protection', 'OBX' oval (mid-Atlantic thing?), to Calvin pissing on something.... Has 'Salt Life' entered the chat on this yet?   

Duke
Duke MegaDork
8/14/23 12:34 p.m.
Mr_Asa said:

What haven't you seen in a while?

Chrome biplane windshield wipers and LED sprayer nozzles.

One-wiper "touring car" mods.

Strip-n-rust hoods.

Why do you think it disappeared?

Because they were stupid.

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/14/23 12:39 p.m.

The skinny front tires on wanna be drag cars........................although I will admit a 190hp IROC Z needs all the help it can get.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 PowerDork
8/14/23 12:53 p.m.
paddygarcia said:
hamster said:

Rear window louvers.

Just yesterday I marveled at something modern with rear window louvers. Maybe they're coming back?

They are. I see lots of Mustangs, Chargers/Challengers, and Camaros with them these days. Mostly around military installations, so you know those things have 29% APR. 

myf16n
myf16n Reader
8/14/23 3:11 p.m.
Old_Town said:

Add-on fog lights under the bumper, mono-wiper conversions, and I'll throw in the cool sticker of the time range which ranged from - 'Oakley - Thermonuclear Protection', 'OBX' oval (mid-Atlantic thing?), to Calvin pissing on something.... Has 'Salt Life' entered the chat on this yet?   

Let's not forget 'No Fear' stickers.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
8/14/23 3:23 p.m.
myf16n said:
Old_Town said:

Let's not forget 'No Fear' stickers.

I've left the faded remnants of a "No Fear" windshield banner on my 92 S10 smiley

Will
Will UberDork
8/14/23 3:39 p.m.

The radar detector made me remember I think I still have a G-tech in a drawer somewhere.

G-Tech Performance Meter Pro Tesla Electronics GTech Pro  AccelerometersのeBay公認海外通販|セカイモン

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
8/14/23 3:43 p.m.

In reply to eastsideTim :

Don't forget these stickers:

David S. Wallens
8/14/23 3:49 p.m.
Woody (Forum Supportum) said:

Bam: And, yeah, I need to clean it as the flash makes it look gross. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
8/14/23 4:20 p.m.
Will said:

The radar detector made me remember I think I still have a G-tech in a drawer somewhere.

G-Tech Performance Meter Pro Tesla Electronics GTech Pro  AccelerometersのeBay公認海外通販|セカイモン

I sill have one of those in the garage............why I'm keeping it is beyond me.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa UltimaDork
8/14/23 6:18 p.m.
Turbo_Rev said:

APC (American Products Company)

These guys were THE definition of 00's boy racer bolt-on garbage. A bunch of chintzy cosmetic stuff and pot metal CAIs. They stuck around for a while during the NOPI Nationals/Fast & the Furious 1 era. Pretty quickly become synonymous with "crap" in the parlance of those times. 

Ironically, for how pervasive they were back then, I could barely find any images of their stuff on google. 

Oh man.  I still have an unopened set of foglights from them that I've been carrying around for... two decades?  I'll unpack the garage boxes, laugh, set it aside and forget to do anything with it.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
8/14/23 6:25 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Smoked headlight covers.

I think this one's the winner. I can't think of the last time I saw some.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) MegaDork
8/14/23 6:55 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I miss these, but mainly because they were so nicely made. 

Slippery
Slippery PowerDork
8/14/23 7:04 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

I miss these, but mainly because they were so nicely made. 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
TJL (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/14/23 8:08 p.m.

Truck nutz

TJL (Forum Supporter)
8/14/23 8:12 p.m.

Have aftermarket car alarms gone away? 

TJL (Forum Supporter)
8/14/23 8:16 p.m.

Did we hit "billet wheels"yet? 

i dreamed of some 17" boyd coddingtons on my frontier.

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
8/14/23 8:46 p.m.
TJL (Forum Supporter) said:

Did we hit "billet wheels yet? 

i dreamed of some 17" boyd coddingtons on my frontier.

Came here to say this. 

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy MegaDork
8/14/23 8:52 p.m.

I'm cleaning out some old car magazines.

Motor Trend, December, 1987

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YA9FdhpnYTrhRMUR06CMp6DG5CIqZMmWlUZ8ggUtsDzUVruZISzkznQ3R7PdzKnn