1 2
flatlander937
flatlander937 HalfDork
12/9/21 7:46 p.m.

I was a tech for them for 14 years.

Good company ethically. Quality of vehicle entirely depends on who/where it was reconditioned. 

If there is any maintenance due soon or would have been recently, make sure it was done. Honda Odyssey timing belt won't get done if it has 110k but was due at 105k... there are a couple errors their inspection standards IMO and this is a common thing that would slip by frequently. I'd get my peepee slapped for diagnosing some other problem but noticing plugs and timing belt weren't done yet and they should have been. They would only inspect those items if it comes through within 1k of the service interval. So 104-106k it -should- get inspected and done.

Mechanically they will fix whatever goes wrong in the first 90 days (used to be a 30 day warranty, changed middle of last year). I have replaced MANY failed engines under the initial warranty. Mostly GM DI Ecotecs because they're horrible about burning oil and people sell them to CarMax to get rid of their problems.

Cosmetically look it over good. I've seen cars that have looked like they were polished with a cat. There's usually 1-2 GOOD reconditioning associates at each store who actually can correct paint/touch up reasonably well. Look at all the door and trunk seals good. They fix rips with super glue. Not a problem for small ones, but some techs would go crazy to avoid replacement.

They will have no problem if you bring someone to inspect it in their store on a lift. I did that many times.

Their standards for some things are a bit lower than what IMO they should be (tires and brake pads at 4/32 are OK, etc). Budget accordingly. Tires they do install are usually the cheapest possible in MOST cases.

Their extended warranties are legit. Definitely need a tech who knows how to write a good story for proper coverage or they'll kick back due to "insufficient cause of failure" etc. Some back and forth usually resolves it. Most expensive thing usually not covered are catalytic converters because it's an exhaust part. Or deferred maintenance causing catastrophic failure.

I left mostly because of immediate (micro) management and lowering standards as my time went on with the company. Still better than MOST places, and they're honest so from a buyer standpoint I wouldn't worry. It was mostly frustrating from a technician standpoint. 

Note: haven't been with them since the beginning of this year. Would have no hesitation working for them again, provided management issues were resolved at my location. But I enjoy not beating up my body doing mechanical work anymore cheeky

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OvS2BLHHZHyEYHbKFN9GWak2LfQbRXrNSUD2BacPGHcM56y3SNcicsamBJQHdB8p