2 3 4 5
bluebarchetta
bluebarchetta New Reader
10/28/15 8:48 a.m.
nderwater wrote: The V6 Accord, Altima and Camry will each do 0-60 in about 5.8 seconds.

That's what makes it so infuriating when you're stuck behind one that's poking along at 52 mph, trying to merge into 70 mph freeway traffic.

Back on topic...a buddy of mine who's a GM tech tells me the 2012-15 Impala LTZ with the 300hp 3.6 has no top-speed governor and will do an honest 150 mph.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet UltraDork
10/28/15 9:48 a.m.

The last generation of the Toyota Supra had hollow fibers in the carpet to save weight. I want THAT Toyota back.

Dave
Dave Reader
10/28/15 10:04 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:
RossD wrote: The original Austin 7 had ... 7 horsepower. My riding mower has more.
I thought it was rated differently

It was tax-able horsepower. A complicated formula that essentially came down to engine bore. That is why the British had so many long stroke motors.

Autolex
Autolex Dork
10/28/15 10:32 a.m.
snailmont5oh wrote: How about this one? A dragster engine turns fewer than 600 revolutions during a pass.

it's actually more like ~450-500 revolutions!

More interesting Top Fuel tech from MotoIQ

Part 1 Part 2

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
10/28/15 10:43 a.m.

Just throwing out number: 6,000 RPM redline, 10 seconds pass => 1,000 revolutions. And that's assuming making redline the entire pass which is giving you a higher number.

CyberEric
CyberEric New Reader
10/28/15 5:15 p.m.

My dad has the Rav4 3.5 V6 with 270HP and it is indeed fast. It's totally surprising. I was actually also surprised at how well it handles.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/28/15 5:22 p.m.

I remember being surprised at the positive reviews about how well the then-new Chevy X11 did at auto-X.

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/28/15 5:24 p.m.

I seem to recall GRM doing a review of "then and now cars", comparing the autoX abilities of the old Jag E-type and a Honda Odyssey minivan. I recall that the minivan won...

kb58
kb58 Dork
10/28/15 5:31 p.m.

I remember the first gen Datsun 240Z had a Road and Track 1/4-mile time of 17.0 seconds, and that was very respectable. Virtually every commuter car can beat that now... how times change.

Kreb
Kreb UltraDork
10/28/15 5:42 p.m.
kb58 wrote: I remember being surprised at the positive reviews about how well the then-new Chevy X11 did at auto-X.

Funny you should say that. The reviews for that car were amazingly good considering what a POS it was compared to anything made today.

A car that always stood out to me was the Buick Grand National.It looked like yet another mulletmobile, but would kick practically anything's butt in a straight line.

And of course the Chrysler turbovans.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
10/28/15 5:59 p.m.

Bob Lutz once described the Saturn L300 as GM's best kept secret.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/28/15 6:14 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: Bob Lutz once described the Saturn L300 as GM's best kept secret.

Or you could buy a contemporary SAAB 9-5.

They were okay, although I wasn't terribly impressed with the interior. IMO the L200 was a much nicer car because it had the Ecotec and not that godawful V6.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/28/15 7:00 p.m.

Godawful in what way? The L300 was fast for the time and the same engine was deemed good enough for the 1g CTS.

Mike
Mike Dork
10/28/15 9:23 p.m.
Kreb wrote:
G_Body_Man wrote: A previous gen Rav4 V6 will hit 60 in the low to mid 6s.
And the current Rav-4 EV is about 7 seconds. It uses Tesla components, which makes me wonder if it's artificially slow - i.e. a hacker might be able to turn it into something truly dangerous.....

Not unlikely, if they're trying to feed the front wheels of a compact crossover power from a drivetrain designed for the back wheels of a full-size Model S.

The Mercedes B-Class Electric is also a Tesla collaboration.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku PowerDork
10/28/15 10:37 p.m.
kb58 wrote: I remember being surprised at the positive reviews about how well the then-new Chevy X11 did at auto-X.

The '81 X11 was the best handling FWD of time. It won SCCA SSB for a couple years. John Heinrecy of Corvette fame headed the project. 135hp V6 with 160lbs of torque and a 4 speed that would see 60 at the top of second gear... Hell, the thing had a functional cowl induction hood!

bL79
bL79 New Reader
10/29/15 1:26 a.m.

It's worth reading about dragster facts. They're super badass

Heres a good one: The torsional load on a top fuel crankshaft is so great there is a measurable angle difference from the front to the rear of the engine. The effect is large enough that they actually grind the camshafts differently along the length to account for the difference in phase between front & rear.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
10/29/15 5:30 a.m.

In reply to kb58:

Wasn't that the Odessey and a 356?

Storz
Storz Dork
10/29/15 6:33 a.m.
ebonyandivory wrote: In reply to kb58: Wasn't that the Odessey and a 356?

There was a Jag in there too, one of my favorite GRM articles ever. I love seeing older cars go through modern performance evaluations.

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/articles/soccer-moms-revenge/

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory UltraDork
10/29/15 6:56 a.m.

In reply to Storz:

Agreed!

(I guess the fact that the 356 is my all-time favorite car made me forget the Jag momentarily!)

NickD
NickD Reader
10/29/15 7:17 a.m.
Vigo wrote: Godawful in what way? The L300 was fast for the time and the same engine was deemed good enough for the 1g CTS.

It's the L81, the same engine as the Catera engine. They had some issues with timing belts and water pumps, as I recall. And they were in the Catera.

The first-gen CTS used a slightly enlarged version of it but only for 2 years and then they ditched it for the 3.0L High-Feature V6, not at all related to the Opel 54* V6.

Although, if you count the Catera as the 1st-gen CTS (After all, CTS stands for Catera Touring Sedan) then yes, it did use the L81

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
10/29/15 8:21 a.m.

Lada sold cars in Europe as late as 1996 with a carb under electronic control to meet emissions. Yup, a real live mechanical carb. Needles to say they only sold around 100 in 96 in the UK before pulling out of the market.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
10/29/15 9:09 a.m.
NickD wrote:
Vigo wrote: Godawful in what way? The L300 was fast for the time and the same engine was deemed good enough for the 1g CTS.
It's the L81, the same engine as the Catera engine. They had some issues with timing belts and water pumps, as I recall. And they were in the Catera. The first-gen CTS used a slightly enlarged version of it but only for 2 years and then they ditched it for the 3.0L High-Feature V6, not at all related to the Opel 54* V6. Although, if you count the Catera as the 1st-gen CTS (After all, CTS stands for Catera Touring Sedan) then yes, it did use the L81

The L81 actually performed admirably enough. It was the reliability that was godawful. Sadistically placed oil coolers that failed regularly. Valvetrains that could not be quieted. Timing belts that failed at half their recommended service interval...

Though I did just take one in on trade with 200k miles that seems hardly the worse for wear.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
10/29/15 12:24 p.m.
belteshazzar wrote: The L81 actually performed admirably enough. It was the reliability that was godawful. Sadistically placed oil coolers that failed regularly. Valvetrains that could not be quieted. Timing belts that failed at half their recommended service interval... Though I did just take one in on trade with 200k miles that seems hardly the worse for wear.

I was a Saturn tech when they were new... All I can say is "Yup"

snailmont5oh
snailmont5oh Reader
10/29/15 12:40 p.m.
Autolex wrote:
snailmont5oh wrote: How about this one? A dragster engine turns fewer than 600 revolutions during a pass.
it's actually more like ~450-500 revolutions! More interesting Top Fuel tech from MotoIQ Part 1 Part 2

Yes. That is fewer than 600.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
10/29/15 8:44 p.m.
The L81 actually performed admirably enough. It was the reliability that was godawful. Sadistically placed oil coolers that failed regularly. Valvetrains that could not be quieted. Timing belts that failed at half their recommended service interval...

I never saw them for anything other than misfires and timing belts/waterpumps and thought they were only annoying but not terrible. But because i only ever worked for independents, my sample size of Saturn Ls and 1g CTS is fairly small. I enjoyed driving them and would take one over the other mostly-E36 M3ty V6s GM was peddling at the time.

For another surprising statistic, i remember reading an article where a Dodge Intrepid R/T stopped 60-0 in ~106ft WAAAY before that became a common thing for sporty cars to do. I was shocked at the time. I rode in one at autocross once and it definitely felt like it stopped harder than the average car back then (04ish?). Strange for such a boat of a car.

2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4edmEUTqhUbN9Z2j5ggoOyEJGj766O8HlNqAEVdjAQoqhTacu3xwMbKFgAADKBoi