Eb4Prez
Eb4Prez New Reader
4/8/10 9:54 p.m.

Time for new pads on my '03 Impala 9c1 DD. I plan on doing a little auto-x and a couple HPDE's in this, but in reality 99.99997% is daily driving. I will probably go with the Wagner thermo-quiet since I've had good luck with them (and they now have a rebate). What are the pros/cons as far as wear/ rotor wear/ brake dust/ stopping power you have experinced? Thanks ( I think) in advance.

JeepinMatt
JeepinMatt HalfDork
4/8/10 10:45 p.m.

I use ceramics on my E30 right now, but that's strictly a race car. Until the last few bits come off, it's technically street legal, so it's seeing a little bit of street duty to get it from place to place. Haven't put enough miles on them to really give you any helpful advice, nor have I put metallics or semi-metallics on it. Just don't get asbestos. Practically, asbestos is a great braking material. But you breathe a little of that crap in and it can screw you up.

I will say that I'm expecting someone to take the bait and say "but asbestos was banned way back in the day! They don't put it in brake pads anymore!" To which I will respond "Oh no, my friend, it wasn't and they do." Although Raybestos mentioned a few years ago that they would cease selling anything containing asbestos. That is all.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
4/9/10 8:31 a.m.

My personal choice is to go with the "premium" parts store sourced pads on my DD's, such as the Wagners. I have the Thermo-Quiet pads on the LS400 now. Anything with a LifeTime warranty is a big plus for me. On performance vehicles, I have some EBC Yellowstuff on my Esprit, and that's the only way to go on that car. That 4th time you try to stop from 100 in the Esprit and actually experience braking makes it all worth while.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
4/9/10 9:17 p.m.

wagner TQ is dog-E36 M3 for repeated applications at high decel. avoid like getting crazy glue on your hootus.

fifty
fifty Reader
4/9/10 9:25 p.m.
Eb4Prez wrote: Time for new pads on my '03 Impala 9c1 DD. I plan on doing a little auto-x and a couple HPDE's in this, but in reality 99.99997% is daily driving.

Auto-x and daily driving you can get by with regular street pads. I think the main advantage of ceramic pads is low dust. HPDE and high speed track work is a totally different beast. I'd recommend a second set of pads that can handle the sustained high temps and still give a ton of friction, especially for a heavy vehicle like the Impala

Nitroracer
Nitroracer Dork
4/9/10 10:36 p.m.

I thought I was being nice by getting ceramic brake pads for my Dad's Frontier one day until he blew threw a stop sign the next morning. The ceramics needed a lot more heat to work properly and even standing on the brake pedal wouldn't stop the truck first thing on a cold morning. Switched back to some semi metallics and all was well in the world again.

Personally I like the extra grip offered by performance semi-metallic pads, and Im willing to pay the premium. The old adage of 'you only get what you pay for' is alive and well.

Eb4Prez
Eb4Prez New Reader
4/10/10 9:30 p.m.

Thanks guys. I guess I'll go with the semi-metallic again. I figured I would try the track days, and if I really liked it in my big car I would switch to race pads just for track.

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
4/10/10 9:34 p.m.

I use CarQuests installer grade ceramics for daily driver pads. They are a little noisy when cold but stay together when being aggressive.

gunner
gunner New Reader
4/10/10 9:56 p.m.

In reply to Nitroracer:

thats eye opening because I was thinking of ceramics for my wifes sienna when it needs new pads. thanks for replying.

Chris_V
Chris_V SuperDork
4/10/10 11:41 p.m.

I use Akebono Euro ceramics on both DDs (the 740iL and the Range Rover), and have for almost 2 years. Outstanding pedal feel, progressiveness, and stopping power cold or hot. And I love the fact that my front wheels no longer turn black in a day. Or a month (or two). They don't have to be bedded in when you first install them. they work at light pedal pressures, at medium, and best of all, they work better the harder you have to use them (which makes them perfect on the Rangie when towing). And the Akebonos are quiet, so you get the best of all worlds: quiet brakes that don't make dust AND stop good. At $70-85 an end, they are a bit pricier than the average auto parts store brakes, but it's worth it.

VWguyBruce
VWguyBruce HalfDork
4/10/10 11:54 p.m.

I just put the Wagner Ceramic pads with new rotors on the wife's DD and they're the noisiest pads I've ever had on any vehicle. I've been thinking of changing them out for semi-metallic. YMMV

driver109x
driver109x Reader
4/11/10 12:18 a.m.

Satisfied ceramics from Kragen (or are they o'reilly now?) on my dd Infiniti G20 with new brembo OEM rotors. So far so good. I usually go for PBR deluxe or for more performance, metal masters.

Kompff09
Kompff09 None
10/12/10 12:08 a.m.

I too use Akebono for my Benz. When I had it, not a problem.

jrw1621
jrw1621 SuperDork
10/12/10 5:19 a.m.

Zombie Canoe!!!
The conversation is 5 months old.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ush0aMGgedDqPkyRL6QFIh7VYQFwNK7NU1UaqDYYuVdUFcbbBazWu6FKs67Zm98e