Markde
Markde New Reader
9/16/13 5:06 p.m.

I have been buying/selling used cars for about 10 years now in upstate NY. I generally buy low <1k, fix/detail and sell fairly low <3k. It has been a great hobby that brings in a little cash on the side to support my other car habits.

Craigslist is where I have found the large majority of these deals and there almost always is something on there that can be turned around pretty quickly.

I spent a year in Charleston, SC and had a hell of a time finding even a cheap driver let alone a car to flip. On craigslist every running car was over 1,500 and despite the lack of rust, most were trashed. I looked at 10 cars before eventually settling on an overpriced bmw. Here in NY I buy over 50% of the cars I go to look at.

I am moving back there for work and want to know if anyone has any insight into this phenomenon. Anyone from this area? Is the presence of Carmax and the otherwise consumerism mentality of the city what kills this niche market? Is this lack of cheap used cars an issue in other places?

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Reader
9/16/13 5:16 p.m.

Columbia SC has cheap cars there. Give that a try. Not far from Charleston

Toyman01
Toyman01 PowerDork
9/16/13 5:33 p.m.

Car prices around here seriously suck. People will pay stupid money for junk and ask even stupider money for blown up scrap. Shop outside the area.

The last cheap car I bought came from Columbia.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3rL9D2kZnwtnQm4PLlsITYHkUjcm55KwJsOvi8yxnemT2OaKtrYKtTV3cuuYoOlN