1 2 3
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/9/13 11:15 p.m.

Since I have taken a few offers on the two monsters in the garage. So back in the black so to say, and new pain drugs mean no sleep.

NO MORE TRACK CARS. I have not had a weekend to myself in almost 12 months to get out and race around. I still want a spyker but it will never work in real life.

What say the Hivemind.

Classic.

Or Modern.

Or a bit of a mix.

MG Bryan
MG Bryan SuperDork
8/9/13 11:19 p.m.

Please buy the Morgan so I can live vicariously through you.

JamesMcD
JamesMcD HalfDork
8/9/13 11:33 p.m.

You should buy a brass-era Packard.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/9/13 11:35 p.m.
JamesMcD wrote: You should buy a brass-era Packard.

There is a beautiful marmon V8 locally that I would love to get. I could do CCCA events my wife would like that.

irish44j
irish44j UberDork
8/9/13 11:43 p.m.

it is all dependent on budget. From your initial choices, I'm guessing $50-100k?

Are the two cars posted the two choices, or are you taking suggestions?

Also, are the pain drugs for something like a bad back or another ailment that would prevent certain types of cars (e.g. something low and firm)?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/9/13 11:45 p.m.
irish44j wrote: it is all dependent on budget. From your initial choices, I'm guessing $50-100k? Are the two cars posted the two choices, or are you taking suggestions? Also, are the pain drugs for something like a bad back or another ailment that would prevent certain types of cars (e.g. something low and firm)?

Sub 100K, the pain pills are for a nerve disorder. I can comfortably drive my viper ~400 or so miles a day.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/9/13 11:50 p.m.

Of the three options you listed, the morgan.....but I agree that a brass era car would be the most fun.

nocones
nocones Dork
8/10/13 12:23 a.m.

Morgan..

ransom
ransom UltraDork
8/10/13 1:19 a.m.

The Morgan looks awesome. I think this sort of question involves more detail about what you enjoy than I know.

My 2012 WRX is much faster than my old BMW 2002 and much more competent. It's quite possibly better in every quantifiable way, and by comparison to the 2002 it does almost nothing for me in terms of grinning, giggling fun.

For pure fun, I want something with as much character as competence, with the tiebreaker going to absurdity.

The Morgan kind of sounds like the best of both worlds, but I'd almost be afraid that it only looked full of character...

kanaric
kanaric Reader
8/10/13 1:50 a.m.

ummm..... if you have a morgan in the mix always choose that.

phaze1todd
phaze1todd HalfDork
8/10/13 3:00 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: Since I have taken a few offers on the two monsters in the garage. So back in the black so to say, and new pain drugs mean no sleep. NO MORE TRACK CARS. I have not had a weekend to myself in almost 12 months to get out and race around. I still want a spyker but it will never work in real life. What say the Hivemind. Classic. Or Modern. Or a bit of a mix.

FTFY

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
8/10/13 3:18 a.m.

Morgan or E-Type Jag.

...but I'm pretty sure I'd still go with Morgan.

singleslammer
singleslammer Dork
8/10/13 7:24 a.m.

I am really partial to the morgans and love the fact they revived the three wheeler. however, the three wheeler has a very low top speed so I vote the aero8 just to survive the highway.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar SuperDork
8/10/13 7:26 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
irish44j wrote: it is all dependent on budget. From your initial choices, I'm guessing $50-100k? Are the two cars posted the two choices, or are you taking suggestions? Also, are the pain drugs for something like a bad back or another ailment that would prevent certain types of cars (e.g. something low and firm)?
Sub 100K, the pain pills are for a nerve disorder. I can comfortably drive my viper ~400 or so miles a day.

Is the Viper staying or going? If it's staying, I'd say classic since the snake covers modern very well. If the sale of the Viper is part of your budget, then maybe something from the modern camp.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/10/13 8:29 a.m.

I can't think of the name now, but the German car that kind of looks like the Morgan but uses V8 or V10 BMW power.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/10/13 8:41 a.m.
z31maniac wrote: I can't think of the name now, but the German car that kind of looks like the Morgan but uses V8 or V10 BMW power.

Sounds like a Gordon, but those are made in sweden

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
8/10/13 8:50 a.m.

^No, like the modern one up there.

FOund it!

Weismann

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/10/13 9:14 a.m.

Morgan in a heartbeat.. especially a vintage trike

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/10/13 10:44 a.m.

Classic for me. A Corvette, especially a small block coupe, has very little that can actually go wrong that NAPA can't fix in a heartbeat. I'd get a 327 four speed with sidepipes. I think 65 and newer got disc brakes, too.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/10/13 11:21 a.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote:
Is the Viper staying or going? If it's staying, I'd say classic since the snake covers modern very well. If the sale of the Viper is part of your budget, then maybe something from the modern camp.

Viper is pretty much gone leaving for its new owner this week, the Prowler is soon to be gone new owner is coming down from Colorado to drive it back.

So basically I have the Forester and a large stack of 100's. I am not buying this one for resale.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
8/10/13 11:25 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Of the three options you listed, the morgan.....but I agree that a brass era car would be the most fun.

If by "most fun" you mean least useful, most fatiguing, most expensive and most unreliable then sure. He puts 400 miles a day on his viper, something of that era with possibly a total loss oiling system won't go 400 miles without a major service or decoking of the hollow crankshaft.

I have had a lot of experience with pre-war cars in the last year. Packards, Cadillacs and Rolls Royces from 32 and earlier. Nothing like waiting 8 months to find a used distributor cap for a Packard V-12 and having to pay over a grand for it. Most of these cars with mechanical brakes, and the worlds heaviest steering are flat terrifying in traffic at 30mph. I can't imagine taking one out for a long cruise.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
8/10/13 11:31 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:

Shoot for the middle. A modern classic Ferrari like a 308 or 328 is in that ballpark with money left over for a major service and some upgrades.

Racer1ab
Racer1ab Dork
8/10/13 11:39 a.m.

If I had that kind of money to spend on a car, the new F-type would be my first test drive.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/10/13 11:39 a.m.

I feel like the Morgan is the right idea. It's not the fastest, nor the most competant of all the choices, but goddamn if it isn't the best looking (IMO) and the grin factor alone would make it worth it for me.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/10/13 11:42 a.m.
ditchdigger wrote:
JoeyM wrote: Of the three options you listed, the morgan.....but I agree that a brass era car would be the most fun.
If by "most fun" you mean least useful, most fatiguing, most expensive and most unreliable then sure. He puts 400 miles a day on his viper, something of that era with possibly a total loss oiling system won't go 400 miles without a major service or decoking of the hollow crankshaft. I have had a lot of experience with pre-war cars in the last year. Packards, Cadillacs and Rolls Royces from 32 and earlier. Nothing like waiting 8 months to find a used distributor cap for a Packard V-12 and having to pay over a grand for it. Most of these cars with mechanical brakes, and the worlds heaviest steering are flat terrifying in traffic at 30mph. I can't imagine taking one out for a long cruise.

I like pre-war stuff Though I am nuts and have driven my 28 Model A roadster ~500 miles in one day on the freeway.

The brass era parts availability is a major downside to me.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cptg6VQ1SepMR3j7AglE6WEzMfLbFgOZpd9XJMRcgto12iEbCYEFAzy5DxRwnT3O