1 2 3 4
MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UltraDork
8/10/13 12:14 p.m.

I'd go with the Corvette. No depreciation, easier to find parts for than the Ferrari, and I just like it better.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/10/13 12:20 p.m.
MadScientistMatt wrote: I'd go with the Corvette. No depreciation, easier to find parts for than the Ferrari, and I just like it better.

Plus my wife is leaning that way. There isa a 3.5 restoration 1963 vette in town with disk brake upgrades and a few other things for 34.5 that I am going to go take a look at this afternoon.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Dork
8/10/13 12:43 p.m.

The Vette is nice to look at but I'd rather drive that Ferrari on a regular basis. Or a Nice Maserati or Aston.

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade UltraDork
8/10/13 1:05 p.m.

Corvette parts are at least easy to find.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
8/10/13 1:12 p.m.

I say modern. Classics are fine but there always seems to be something going wrong with them. At least mine anyway.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/10/13 1:16 p.m.

Morgan vote for me too! Local Subie/Lincoln dealer (don't ask) had one. Wonderful cars.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
8/10/13 2:35 p.m.

Morgan, or maybe an Aston Martin for something more modern.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Reader
8/10/13 3:56 p.m.

I would say Eagle GT but I think that is out of the price range.

What do you really use your fun car for? Does it lean more toward cruising or canyon carving? I would go C3 vette over C2 but I just like the C3 lines better personally and if you really wanted to, you can make them handle well. Downside is if you don't have a lot of time for the track, do you have time to wrench?

The problem I know in my area is I'm lucky to go the speed limit and most of the fun roads are clogged with either bicycles, hogs, or just a ton of traffic. So, It's more towards cruising for me most of the time.

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku UberDork
8/10/13 8:24 p.m.

I'd shop for a classic that has had a modern drive train installed with good A/C.

Style and comfort in a reliable package.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/10/13 8:44 p.m.

VTEC Mini? Classic, cute style with modern power. Way under your budget, but off the scale on the fun-factor. Plus, no matter how fast or slow you're driving, everyone on the road smiles and gives you a thumbs-up.

PHeller
PHeller UberDork
8/11/13 8:16 a.m.

What about trying to get ahold of a car from overseas? An older GTR or something

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
8/11/13 10:12 a.m.

Aston Martin or Ford GT

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/11/13 10:50 a.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: From what I remember he's had an Aston, or can't find a good on. A ford gt is well over $100k

GT's are just to much money for me. Not in terms of buying one but for bang for buck. I have flat out given up on finding a good Aston at this point. It would have to fall into my lap I am not going though the hell of finding a good one again. My pocketbook still hurts from just having a few PPI'd.

Datsun bloody R8's whats the deal with them. Why must I love them and why must they not depreciate like a normal car. Even with the updated 2014 I swear the 08/09's have gone up in price.

Corvette was a bust solid 25-27K car owner will not budge on his price. I knocked on the the door of the lady who I has the Marmon one last time and that is a long dead cause. I passed the info onto someone with deeper pockets then me.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/11/13 10:50 a.m.

SWMBO wants the 'vette. He'll get the 'vette.....doesn't change the fact that the morgan is way cooler.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/11/13 11:05 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: SWMBO wants the 'vette. He'll get the 'vette.....doesn't change the fact that the morgan is way cooler.

SWMBO wants something that we can cruise it, that is no where near as aggressive as the viper.

Though she has a thing for Gen II corvettes, not quite sure why.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/11/13 3:41 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote:
wearymicrobe wrote: Datsun bloody R8's whats the deal with them. Why must I love them and why must they not depreciate like a normal car. Even with the updated 2014 I swear the 08/09's have gone up in price.
You and I discussed that offline before, they just don't drop. Based on that I ordered a 14, 2 weeks ago. Daytona Gray, wedge painted to match. Nougat interior, black styling package, convenience, and bang and olufson audio. I did not get navigation. I'm at 125 on the road. Figuring the 09s are hovering at 95-100, I figure its worth getting a new one instead of a 5 year old one. Just do it

At that price I am assuming V10 correct?

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
8/11/13 3:44 p.m.

Considering how easy it is to spend $125K on a 991 these days, I'd consider the R8 a bargain. It has so much more presence.

WM - If you can get a new V10 for anything under $150K out the door you are a master negotiator.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/11/13 3:56 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
Datsun1500 wrote: You and I discussed that offline before, they just don't drop. Based on that I ordered a 14, 2 weeks ago. Daytona Gray, wedge painted to match. Nougat interior, black styling package, convenience, and bang and olufson audio. I did not get navigation. I'm at 125 on the road. Figuring the 09s are hovering at 95-100, I figure its worth getting a new one instead of a 5 year old one. Just do it
At that price I am assuming V10 correct?

Since according to the Audi website, the V10 starts at $151,200, I'm guessing it's a V8...

kreb
kreb SuperDork
8/11/13 4:22 p.m.

How about a restomod - perhaps an E9 BMW with a S52 motor? One of the prettiest cars ever with modern legs thrown in for good measure. Here was a nice one:

http://bringatrailer.com/2013/08/04/straightest-e9-body-1973-bmw-30cs-hot-rod/

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/11/13 5:13 p.m.
nderwater wrote: Considering how easy it is to spend $125K on a 991 these days, I'd consider the R8 a bargain. It has *so* much more presence. WM - If you can get a new V10 for anything under $150K out the door you are a master negotiator.

There was 25-35K in trunk money on the 13's on the V10's when we were speaking last. Figured that there might be some still in the trunk so to say.

Personally I find the V8 a excellent car.

oldtin
oldtin UltraDork
8/11/13 5:18 p.m.

Might be close on the money, but Maserati ghibli or bora

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/15/13 6:38 p.m.
Datsun1500 wrote: The V10 seems to drop more in value for some reason though.

Yeah there are a lot more V10's out there which is bringing down the prices a bit. I also imagine that the enthusiast buys the V8 the monied guy gets the V10.

So I have a out there example of a car I like. There is a 36 boat-tail speedster replica for sale locally.

Its brass era looking. LS powered with major wow power. Its red and cream with cream interior. Needs a good bit of work to make it drop dead perfect but would be a fun project.

ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
8/15/13 7:05 p.m.

Factory Five 32 for me. Black with flames. Terminator power. Way under budget, way fast and way cool.

JFX001
JFX001 UltraDork
8/15/13 9:16 p.m.

I like the Auburn's.

Personally, I would go for a very clean resto-mod. Modern convenience with older styling.

Or... maybe a Bentley Turbo R/Continental R, or De Tomaso Longchamp.

mndsm
mndsm PowerDork
8/15/13 9:51 p.m.

Weismann just went for bankruptcy, now might be the time.....

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dWp2afBObSkihfj53zvyiwEwIlobCOFkbD1gWVbYaRhSGs0Y6Yeiwao1MFjmKCdJ