1 2 3 4
93EXCivic
93EXCivic MegaDork
8/16/13 7:12 a.m.

Easy Morgan Aero 8. Just incredible cars.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
8/16/13 7:18 a.m.

If you are driving it very often, a c3 is not exactly a super livable car. I borrowed my mothers 63 coupe a few times, and it was rattle prone, the brakes sucked, it leaked in rain, and it was just too uncomfortable. Some of these problems can be fixed I'm sure.

It was a great car to be seen in, but not a driver's car in my experience.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UberDork
8/16/13 7:45 a.m.

I personally would look for a 65-67 Corvette convertible w/327 or a Morgan +4 or +8.

I do not care for the Aero.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke HalfDork
8/16/13 11:02 a.m.

I vote Morgan. Old Vette I don't see as a nice DD.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/16/13 11:26 a.m.
clutchsmoke wrote: I vote Morgan. Old Vette I don't see as a nice DD.

We need multiquote on this board so BAD.

Not my DD I still have the Forester to putter back and forth to work.

there are some really cool stuff out there that is new like the Wess but living in the peoples republic of Californastan i have no way to actually register it.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/16/13 11:31 a.m.

I'll resecond or whatever the vette - they can be very nice livable cars. Have you driven a few yet?

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/16/13 11:49 a.m.
tuna55 wrote: I'll resecond or whatever the vette - they can be very nice livable cars. Have you driven a few yet?

Drove a 63 a few days ago that I really liked but the price was just to high for the level of restoration that had been preformed. There is a really nice 60 white/ivory convertible that I have seen online that is priced about right ~40K for a 2.5# restoration driver.

I have driven a 54 in the past and its a little scary to drive at modern speeds on the highway. The 55 Thunderbird that I had a week a long while back was a significantly better car. Looks are subjective but I would happily drive a Thunderbird with the hardtop on the freeway for hours but the corvette would really get to me.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/16/13 11:58 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
tuna55 wrote: I'll resecond or whatever the vette - they can be very nice livable cars. Have you driven a few yet?
Drove a 63 a few days ago that I really liked but the price was just to high for the level of restoration that had been preformed. There is a really nice 60 white/ivory convertible that I have seen online that is priced about right ~40K for a 2.5# restoration driver. I have driven a 54 in the past and its a little scary to drive at modern speeds on the highway. The 55 Thunderbird that I had a week a long while back was a significantly better car. Looks are subjective but I would happily drive a Thunderbird with the hardtop on the freeway for hours but the corvette would really get to me.

The C1s wouldn't be a good driving type car, kingpins don't help them at all.

If you're looking for the quality I'd guess, I'd say a 65-67 (disc brakes) all original everything small block coupe would go for around 50-70 depending on options and condition. Convertibles are much much more.

The good news here is that those cars never go down in value, so if you buy one now, it will sell for that much plus - if it's all original.

Originality is huge with those. Unless you're going to restomod, don't get one that has been restored, there are too many good options out there.

My folks was 22k in 2003 and now it's worth 60k. All they did was the carpet and some minor cleaning/polishing type stuff. If the numbers all match, they will increase in value, so don't sweat the price too much if you can afford it.

Finding a C2 for 40k will probably not be the right car for you. Likewise, a big block or special car is going to quickly get past 100k in good condition and not run and drive as well as a standard 327.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UberDork
8/16/13 12:32 p.m.
wearymicrobe wrote:
Drove a 63 a few days ago that I really liked but the price was just to high for the level of restoration that had been preformed. There is a really nice 60 white/ivory convertible that I have seen online that is priced about right ~40K for a 2.5# restoration driver. I have driven a 54 in the past and its a little scary to drive at modern speeds on the highway. The 55 Thunderbird that I had a week a long while back was a significantly better car. Looks are subjective but I would happily drive a Thunderbird with the hardtop on the freeway for hours but the corvette would really get to me.

What's a 2.5# restoration?

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
8/16/13 12:46 p.m.

What about a used ZR1. I think I saw a couple in the 80s recently.

as far as the R8...i saw a "How it's made: Dream Cars" on the Science channel recently....really cool.

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/16/13 12:53 p.m.
Cotton wrote: What about a used ZR1. I think I saw a couple in the 80s recently. as far as the R8...i saw a "How it's made: Dream Cars" on the Science channel recently....really cool.

I presume you mean a C6 ZR1? A C4 ZR1 would sort of straddle the modern/classic line, plus should be much cheaper.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
8/16/13 1:55 p.m.
tuna55 wrote:
Cotton wrote: What about a used ZR1. I think I saw a couple in the 80s recently. as far as the R8...i saw a "How it's made: Dream Cars" on the Science channel recently....really cool.
I presume you mean a C6 ZR1? A C4 ZR1 would sort of straddle the modern/classic line, plus should be much cheaper.

yeah C6 ZR1...hence the "in the 80s" comment. I do like the c4 ZR1s though.

kanaric
kanaric Reader
8/17/13 2:11 a.m.

I would actually really like a restomod TR8 with a 3.9 or larger rover engine.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/17/13 8:40 p.m.

how bad could this be.

6 Speed manual, 12K miles all service.

Or heaven forbid. 6 Speed manual, all service, racing buckets. One of ~130 that came to the states.

Both in budget.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/17/13 11:09 p.m.

The red one (...but you have to you grow a Magnum P.I. moustache)

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/18/13 12:09 a.m.

For me it would be very hard to justify the added cost, upkeep, and other 'special' stuff that Ferrari would require over a C6 Z06, especially since the C6 would probably win any real race. It's neither classic nor modern. I dunno. Only you can define 'fun'.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
8/18/13 3:17 a.m.
wearymicrobe wrote: So I have a out there example of a car I like. There is a 36 boat-tail speedster replica for sale locally. Its brass era looking. LS powered with major wow power. Its red and cream with cream interior. Needs a good bit of work to make it drop dead perfect but would be a fun project.

To me that car looks terrible, it could be nice but its off just enough its really ugly, it kinda reminds me of an Excalibur or one of those MG or Alfa bodies for a VW bug pan.

Travis_K
Travis_K UltraDork
8/18/13 3:23 a.m.

How about one of these?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/18/13 7:06 a.m.

In reply to wearymicrobe:

A 550 Maranello is one of my "sort of realistic" dream cars. Assuming I could afford the yearly upkeep (at the 25K/yr I'd be driving one), one of those as a DD is a pipe dream.

Rational logic does not come into play when discussing a Ferrari, so comparisons to a Corvette of any kind is irrelevant.

There is a red neglected looking Testarossa sitting outside in a used car lot I pass by occasionally. It's probably in need of $$$$$ repairs/maintenance and is the Ferrari I like the least, but I'm still drawn to it... A child of the 80's I am...

tuna55
tuna55 PowerDork
8/18/13 11:40 a.m.
Ian F wrote: Rational logic does not come into play when discussing a Ferrari, so comparisons to a Corvette of any kind is irrelevant. .

I get this, and I understand he's not looking to set lap times, but I don't know if I could get over it. It's not special enough not to be super fast. Conversely, it's not fast enough to justify it's maintenance costs and lack of exclusivity.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/18/13 4:54 p.m.

So made up my mind and bought another FFR 65 Cobra replica.

After looking at a dozen different things it was the most fun and in some ways the most familiar to me. 6.1hp/lb and not 2.4hp/lb like the last one so its not going to kill me. Fuel injection, modern five speed transmission, idles well holds temp in traffic.

Guy is getting all the paperwork together and talking it over with his wife but we have a price agreed too. Will have it tomorrow or Tuesday depending on my work schedule and his.

Will post pictures after the deal is done don;t want to jinx it just yet. My wife is VERY happy based on liking my last one and it not being 70-100K like the other cars.

Leaves me a ton of cash to build a 818 or a exocet/aston if I want too.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/18/13 5:06 p.m.

certainly a good choice. well built cars. I'm certain you'll be happy with that....style-wise, I'd prefer their '33, but I just like the older stuff.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Dork
8/18/13 6:11 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: certainly a good choice. well built cars. I'm certain you'll be happy with that....style-wise, I'd prefer their '33, but I just like the older stuff.

Having seen a few of there 33's in person they just don't flow right. Plus I am a steel guy when it comes to hot rods.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
8/18/13 6:22 p.m.

I'll trust your judgement.....I've never seen on e IRL

audifan
audifan Reader
8/18/13 6:53 p.m.

what about an LS swapped Miata from our friendly board frequenters (*spelling??) Done to the hilt spare no cost. Miata dynamics with F car slaughtering speed Even all in you would still have enough left over to make bets with the F car owners during the impromptu drag race which you would inevitably win....

Sounds like a no brainer beating an F car in your Miata gotta love the embarrassment level for him going on there

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
rEUlH62NTKEkAELBCMggsuvqf9ajwpPwex2Z6Cl8QkioxaKJYSsMt7ReQGndaocZ