1 2
Ed Higginbotham
Ed Higginbotham Associate Editor
4/2/18 10:36 a.m.
feature_image

What's the best of the latest crop of 200-treadwear tires? Andy Hollis and a couple special guests are testing a variety of the latest rubber on both autocross and road courses to find out. Tires in the test include Dunlop Direzza ZIII, Bridgestone RE-71R and the BFGoodrich g-Force Rival S 1.5. Whi…

Read the rest of the story

CyberEric
CyberEric Reader
4/2/18 10:48 a.m.

Looking forward to it!

Sonic
Sonic UltraDork
4/2/18 10:57 a.m.

ETA for the next issue? I’m about to order some tires and certainly am interested in Andy’s findings. 

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/2/18 11:08 a.m.

I hate to be nitpicky but I'd really love to see this done on something heavier. 

NOT A TA
NOT A TA Dork
4/2/18 11:20 a.m.
Bob the REAL oil guy. said:

I hate to be nitpicky but I'd really love to see this done on something heavier. 

^^^ This, there's a lot of vehicles weighing 3200- 3500 lbs or more with 275+ widths being used for auto X and HPDE's.

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/2/18 11:27 a.m.

Fun fact, some of those wheels were in my garage a week ago. We're a small community. 

Less fun fact, this gets me no advanced data from the test. I still have to wait for the magazine to come out. sad

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr UltraDork
4/2/18 11:57 a.m.

No RS4?  This is currently the go to tire for cheap car racing.  No Maxxis?

I would like to see more track testing.  less Autox testing.  

What tires do you guys run on your Budget racecar?  How do they work?  Why did you pick what you picked to race?

freetors
freetors Reader
4/2/18 11:58 a.m.

The new rival is basically a non starter for me since my str size is over $200 more per set than the equivalent re71r 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/2/18 12:22 p.m.

Anyone else want to see a 400 treadwear autocross test?

Ed Higginbotham
4/2/18 1:15 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

The issue with this article should be hitting mailboxes in early May.

Ed Higginbotham
4/2/18 1:16 p.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

We run Bridgestone RE-71R tires on our turbo Miata. They've never let us down and are very predictable. But I'm excited to see what the numbers say.

Bob the REAL oil guy.
Bob the REAL oil guy. MegaDork
4/2/18 1:20 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

^^^ This, there's a lot of vehicles weighing 3200- 3500 lbs or more with 275+ widths being used for auto X and HPDE's.

that's what I was thinking as well. The truck should be around the 3500lb mark and if money ever flows the right way will be ready for some 295-305's

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/2/18 1:51 p.m.
NOT A TA said:

Andy and I were just discussing that. First, don't forget that a year or so ago we did a test using a McLaren. That's big, right?

For tire testing, the Miata has a few advantages for us:

It's easy to consistently drive for an entire day. 

The Miata has proven to be reliable, too. 

It's a very popular car in our world. 

A load of Miata wheels and tires are easier to transport than a load of Corvette wheels and tires--usually one truckload vs. two.

Everyone seems to always offer a 225/45R15.

But we do compare our data against others. Tire Rack usually tests their cars on a BMW 3 Series, and our data always seems to jibe. 

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Dork
4/2/18 2:33 p.m.
Trackmouse said:

We're probably the only two....

pimpm3
pimpm3 SuperDork
4/2/18 3:38 p.m.

Another rs4 vote, they wear like iron and offer lots of grip

livinon2wheels
livinon2wheels New Reader
4/2/18 4:50 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

darn skippy...I'd love to see whats out there and how it stacks up against its peers.

goingnowherefast
goingnowherefast New Reader
4/2/18 6:09 p.m.

"lot's of grip" only works when you compare it to older tires like the Direzza star specs. RE71R and Rival S 1.5's leave the RS4's in the dust when you compare performance metrics. 

architect7779
architect7779 New Reader
4/2/18 7:45 p.m.

a vote for Falken Azenis RT615k+

chada75
chada75 Reader
4/2/18 7:50 p.m.

In reply to OldGray320i :

And Three. Loved to see a class using 400tw+ tires.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve MegaDork
4/2/18 9:18 p.m.

Will be nice to see how the Rival 1.5 stacks up.  I get a lot of "why didn't you just buy the RE71" questions, but I prefer the Rivals.  Would be good to have some empirical data.  

SkinnyG
SkinnyG SuperDork
4/2/18 11:14 p.m.

I put RE71R's on the V8 Firefly.  Spoiler - the car is still traction limited.

te72
te72 New Reader
4/2/18 11:19 p.m.

Serious question here, I've rarely had a car long enough to wear out a set of tires... are there any out there that last for, say, 15000 miles or maybe 3-4 years? I only get a few solid months of weather where tires like these are useful, and with 500+hp on tap, well... I kinda need as much grip as is feasible for the weather.

I store the tires during the cold months in a warm (low 60° F) basement out of direct light, but I get the feeling that tires are gonna age out before they're used up. Just feels weird throwing out tires that aren't especially worn out.

So, short and sweet, anything out there that will last for 3+ years and won't get hard on me?

mazdeuce - Seth
mazdeuce - Seth Mod Squad
4/3/18 12:33 a.m.

In reply to te72 :

Short and sweet, no. The longer answer is that (as I've driven them) they tend to react to heat cycles as much as age. They also behave differently in the wet depending on age with some of them getting downright scary long before they're "worn out". Also they won't be as good as new their second season, but they'll still be better than basically any 300+ tw tire is when new. The third season they degrade more, but are still sticky in comparison. It's not that they are no good, just that they're not as good and certainly no longer competitive at the very pointy end of AX in their second and third years. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UltraDork
4/3/18 10:41 a.m.
Trackmouse said:

I do because I want a tire that I can drive every day to work and maybe go racing once or twice in the summer and not need to shell out 1000 dollars every summer for commuting + an occasional race.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/3/18 12:08 p.m.
fidelity101 said:
Trackmouse said:

I do because I want a tire that I can drive every day to work and maybe go racing once or twice in the summer and not need to shell out 1000 dollars every summer for commuting + an occasional race.

Quoted for truth! I notice there are +6 likes on the 400tw autocross match. Likely there are more that would enjoy it. GRM is just mag to pull this off!

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PZOKqQnw9ibAu8HTG0dhMTbNDwbDDAcjca6kRNgtvkEJzPAGVJ7cRtpo8nimt2oM