1 2 3 4 5
wbjones
wbjones UltimaDork
12/11/14 4:03 p.m.

points earned towards year end trophies are SRSBZNSS

Flynlow
Flynlow Reader
12/11/14 5:45 p.m.
True_Racer wrote: I was also surprised to see people questioning my experience as obviously with a race built car and racing gloves it was not my first rodeo.

That's how we knew you were inexperienced at autox.....forget the gloves, where's your floppy hat!!??!!

Anyone can buy a race car

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/11/14 6:24 p.m.

In reply to True_Racer:

Your title showed somebody looking to start up a spirited discussion, which seems to have met that expectation and then some. Your consideration of protesting this showed somebody taking it very seriously. The lack of background information in your first post showed somebody who might not be very knowledgeable on the rules or standard practices. Your video showed somebody who with enough experience to be treated as an equal, as well as a good sense of camaraderie with his fellow competitors. And your posting history shows somebody not getting involved in the community beyond promoting your own (admittedly, applicable to our interests) videos with the annoying, yet apparently still unprofitable, advertising proliferating throughout Youtube.

That's a potent set of conflicting messages to drop into this volatile group of 'opinionated' individuals.

And yes, you are one lucky SOB to have a site like that so close to home!

I think this says it best:

trucke wrote: We piled on like you were one of us. Please forgive us! Welcome to our forum.

On a final note, I generally believe protests are akin to a moral or ethical dilemma. If you have to ask whether or not it's the right thing to do...

dean1484
dean1484 UltimaDork
12/12/14 12:31 p.m.

Don't know why but this comes to mind

chrispy
chrispy HalfDork
12/12/14 1:15 p.m.
Flynlow wrote:
True_Racer wrote: I was also surprised to see people questioning my experience as obviously with a race built car and racing gloves it was not my first rodeo.
That's how we knew you were inexperienced at autox.....forget the gloves, where's your floppy hat!!??!! Anyone can buy a race car

My 12 year old put on racing gloves at his second event. He's getting a floppy hat for his birthday. We've had several folks show up in race built cars, myself included, but that didn't mean we knew what we were doing.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk SuperDork
12/12/14 2:33 p.m.

Just a nit-pick detail...but this forum is run by a magazine group that started life as "Auto-X Magazine". Auto-X is/was serious enough motorsport to help support Tim and company for the last 30 years.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/12/14 3:17 p.m.
Danny Shields wrote: In reply to True_Racer: If you think a cone is out of position you have to stop and point it out to the course workers to get a rerun; otherwise you have accepted it. Complaining after the run is too late.

This is exactly what I was going to point out after watching the video/reading the post. You didn't stop and point it out, so you owned it. If you take autoxing this seriously, you might want to take up a different hobby like chili cook offs, figure skating, drifting, or pie baking contests.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/12/14 3:27 p.m.
wbjones wrote: points earned towards year end trophies are SRSBZNSS

Damn, you mean winning the only 3 events you attend in a 7 event season and ending up in the 3rd in the class at the end of the season is not an acceptable practice? E36 M3, I must need to care more. Probably why I've never felt the need to protest someone, even when they had zero business being in the class.

Its also why I'll just enter the gutted 318ti in SSM and protest myself if I happen to win somehow.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla PowerDork
12/12/14 3:56 p.m.

I've had plenty of competitors that were "technically" illegal in the class I ran. DOn't care. If I can't beat them, its on me anyway!

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
12/12/14 4:46 p.m.
Flynlow wrote:
That's how we knew you were inexperienced at autox.....forget the gloves, where's your floppy hat!!??!! Anyone can buy a race car

True that. I've probably done in the neighborhood of 150 autocrosses and rallycrosses. The only time I wear my stylin nomex Alpinestars gloves are when I'm doing wheel-to-wheel racing. Plus they look funny with my super-cheap G-Force race suit.

Javelin
Javelin MegaDork
12/12/14 5:26 p.m.
bludroptop wrote:
Maybe it was your racing line. Could you wear a full fire suit next time so we know you are a hot shoe?

QFT. You don't look ahead enough, you don't put in enough steering angle, your line is inconsistent, and you keep a death grip on the wheel like a 90 year old on her way to bingo.

Note (since you're new): I, too, autocross a Porsche with a rollcage and have a shelf full of dusty plastic trophies, but I don't post all over the internet about an out of place cone. I either deal with the cone or stop like I'm supposed to.

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
12/12/14 5:40 p.m.
Javelin wrote: You don't look ahead enough, you don't put in enough steering angle, your line is inconsistent, and you keep a death grip on the wheel like a 90 year old on her way to bingo.

...A driving technique that I have spent years mastering.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
12/12/14 6:50 p.m.

I only remember hitting one cone in my life. It was back around 1987. I've hit several thousand more since then, but they were all very forgettable.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/12/14 6:58 p.m.
Woody wrote: I only remember hitting one cone in my life. It was back around 1987. I've hit several thousand more since then, but they were all very forgettable.

I distinctly remember going through a cone wall...sideways...more than once.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
12/12/14 7:38 p.m.

This thread is on page 3.

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/12/14 7:57 p.m.
Toyman01 wrote:
Woody wrote: I only remember hitting one cone in my life. It was back around 1987. I've hit several thousand more since then, but they were all very forgettable.

I see your cone wall and raise you the cone wall and a timing & scoring light.....

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/12/14 8:41 p.m.
yamaha wrote:
Toyman01 wrote:
I see your cone wall and raise you the cone wall and a timing & scoring light.....

You win, though I have been through the timing lights sideways as well. I actually managed that one without hitting a single cone. There are some advantages to a tiny car.

Not looking too promising... I had already collected half of the previous element. You can see them under the car.

Pretty sure there were 4 cones wedged under there. For some reason the course workers get upset when you drive off with an entire corner. But once they get that far under there they don't want to come out and you don't want to grab the exhaust by mistake.

Rotary exhausts are HOT and melting cone stinks!

Edit: The best part is, after a tank slapper like that, it's almost guaranteed to stall. Then it takes me about 3 minutes to get it to re-fire because, hot flooded rotary. Meanwhile, everyone is watching. All the course workers run over to see if they need to help push, the red flags have flown, every one in grid and paddock applauds. It's just a grand old time.

/thread jack

yamaha
yamaha MegaDork
12/12/14 9:00 p.m.

Buwahaha, well that is pretty epic.

kylini
kylini Reader
12/12/14 9:14 p.m.

The only thing better than that amazing story is the fact that you look like Dark Helmet.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/12/14 9:16 p.m.

In reply to kylini:

LOL!!!

I'm about 2' taller than he is I think. Maybe that's why the helmet fits.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UltraDork
12/12/14 9:26 p.m.

I have a hard time trusting people that wear plaid shorts, kind of like a tie on sundays or a tie with short sleeved shirt. Getting out and screaming hysterically is never a great approach to resolving things. Others have pointed out the rule, learn from it, deal with it, better luck next time buttercup.

Toyman01
Toyman01 MegaDork
12/12/14 9:34 p.m.

I'll go ahead and post up the rest of the picture series.

Starts here. I've already lost it at this point. From here on out it's just trying to minimize the damage. I'll blame it on a sandy course but lack of talent may have contributed to it.

Not quite done.

My son thought it was fantastic. I think this was the first autocross he was allowed to ride. He had a grin for a week. This year he will be able to drive.

Then they stuck a reporter in my car and told me to not scare her too bad.

That was a really good day. Thanks for reminding me of it.

Nick_Comstock
Nick_Comstock PowerDork
12/13/14 8:15 a.m.
T.J. wrote: This thread is on page 3.

And these people "don't take auto cross seriously"

Bwahahahahahahajajah!

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
12/13/14 8:28 a.m.
Toyman01 wrote:

Sideways? How about backwards.

http://youtu.be/HK4tfRGvZ6s

Who says you can't spin a FWD car. I gots skillz, man.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/13/14 8:31 a.m.

In reply to Toyman01:

This may be really, really obscure. But your pictures remind me that I should get back to glass blowing.

(I wonder if the person who recieved the item in reference is still here- that was a few years ago)

My "crash" story- the only one I really remember of mine was when I spun my GTV. Don't remember the cones, but the feeling. Some of the autocross books and articles mention that being on the edge is like ballancing yourself in a chair- you always have that uneasy feeling of falling backwards. I so remember that event and a series of higher speed corners, and how uneasy if felt. I did manage to fall backwards.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
PanRMdebvwtH4B5fjReJ7ulRiCdG50LOZbqYfdwyA1dw9ScVR3Cd4hsfI7HIGvUm