1 2
mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/3/09 10:08 p.m.

while the LSx swap seems pretty good. Anybody ever swap a porsche engine into one?

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
10/3/09 10:31 p.m.

My aunt had an early one when I was a kid, but she got scared off when Nadar's stupid book came out (they're all appliances to her). It's probably part of what sent me on this path in the first place.

I still think the 2nd gen is one of the most attractive cars ever made, and the best handling American sedan until the late 80s Fords came along. The kids in my elementary school all wanted Mustangs & Camaros-I wanted a Yenko!

GTwannaB
GTwannaB New Reader
10/4/09 4:09 p.m.

What about a Honda motor swap? Reverse rotation like the Corvair? I love these cars.

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
10/4/09 7:19 p.m.

I have not seen a Porsche engine in a Corvair (strangely) but I have seen (almost the same) what was essentially an entire Porsche 911 drivetrain put under a Corvair body. Didn't see it in person though.

Of note, I did do a quick measurement of the wheel track (as in rear vs front) of a Corvair vs a Mazdaspeed 3, they are within and inch of each other!!

As a note, if you are within range, there will likely be a few at the event below. Sadly there are not a lot of Corvair AutoXers anymore, but there should be at least a couple of fast Corvairs there (and usually a pretty wide variety of other cars). This is in Camarillo, north of Los Angeles.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
10/5/09 12:14 a.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Excellent! Most under-rated American car ever, if you like your roads twisty instead of straight.

I still remember this guy who almost won the DP race at the Runoffs a couple of times. I was going to post up the pic last night, but I can't remember his name! I stumbled across somebody's pic on Flickr showing him running in FL in 1974.

I swear that if I ever start any kind of website resource, I'm going make it about the history of SCCA Club Racing. There are a few decent sites out there, but they all just refer to a marque, like that wonderful Nissan Roadster place:

http://www.datsun.org/fairlady/usindex.htm

Or a track, like the incredible VIR history site:

http://www.virhistory.com/

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair SuperDork
10/5/09 2:55 p.m.

yeah, we've seen a lakewood before...

mad_machine
mad_machine SuperDork
10/5/09 3:33 p.m.

glad to see you got one... I had never even heard of a lakewood before reading about it in an english mag where they compared it with a Citron DX

aircooled
aircooled SuperDork
10/5/09 3:44 p.m.

They made a van you know...

...not the best choice for AutoX.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
10/5/09 11:33 p.m.
aircooled wrote: They made a van you know... ...not the best choice for AutoX.

Aw, c'mon. Thats how you get a Greenbriar to rotate.

friedgreencorrado
friedgreencorrado Dork
10/5/09 11:35 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: yeah, we've seen a lakewood before...

Two big fat thumbs up.

And remember my comment is from someone who like the 2nd gen chassis..

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GBoqpxRlFTLtJMQ3M1xZU1SNeFAy4eWX0nojS5CeKeCeldK26BYJGDgd3eINO4OC