doc_speeder
doc_speeder Reader
8/10/13 11:42 a.m.

So we bought a new-to-us RV a couple months back. It's a 2000 5th wheel, about 27' long.

This past week was our first real outing with it. We tend to prefer "boondocking" 4-5 days at a time in no-service campgrounds or even wilderness camping to actual side by side sardine style RV parks, and that brings us to my problem(s):

1) In the past, all my trailers have had at least 2 big 12v deep cycle batteries, usually 3. I haven't had time to do anything to this one yet, so it's only got one battery and it's in rough shape. It doesn't seem to hold a charge, even with the posts disconnected so I know there's no draw on it. So I need a couple new batteries. That's easy enough.

2) I'm not getting any 12v output when I'm plugged into 120v on my driveway before the trip, so I can't charge that way. Do I just get a new converter/charger, wire it up to the incoming 120v line and then to the battery and call it a day? Or is it not that simple? It appears there are several available for under $200. How much do I need? They seem to be available from 35 to 100 amps. 100 seems like a lot. I'm not sure what I'd use that would draw anywhere near that amount of power.

3) I don't think I'm getting a good charge off the truck. I have 14.5v at the plug on the truck, but only 12.4 by the time my wires get to the battery on the trailer. I'm thinking this is excessive voltage drop, correct? Where should I start to look? The plug on the trailer is factory sealed, non-removable. It APPEARS to be in good shape.

I welcome any suggestions.

mistanfo
mistanfo UltraDork
8/10/13 6:35 p.m.

Voltage drop is likely due to undersized wiring. How long are the wires?

Onetrillionrpm
Onetrillionrpm New Reader
8/11/13 12:04 p.m.

undersized wiring will kill amps, you should still have 14 at the batteries, I'd check and clean grounds first. As for the converter I'd make sure the fuse isn't popped on it, also what kind of box is it?

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim PowerDork
8/11/13 12:44 p.m.

Grounds or corrosion in the connectors are the most likely reason for the low voltage reading IMHO.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic SuperDork
8/11/13 12:48 p.m.

Perhaps the converter is smart and wont run without a battery?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vceBhJbCxkTMrVXNROftqIIeFUqOydnQHwpOpsS87xoEs63NaPzskgLfDWYexGVs