1 2
¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/2/16 7:13 a.m.

I'm planning on competing in Magnum Opus Rally and will need at least one crew person.
Where: Newberry, Michigan (Upper Peninsula)
When: 6/17-6/18
What: You'll need to be able to drive the service rig (GMT400 Yukon), fuel the rally car, and probably work on it (1986 RX7), possibly in the middle of the night. Ideally, I'd like you to be able to hook up a trailer as well. You either need to be able to get yourself to the event or to somewhere we can easily pick you up en-route from eastern PA.
Why: Because rally is awesome, and I'll pay for your food, and your hotel if you don't want to camp or figure out somewhere to stay.

Let me know if you're interested in getting in on some of this action:

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
5/2/16 7:42 a.m.

I'll be up there for the rally but will have three kids between the ages of 8 and 12 with me. I can help with logistics and my cottage is about a half hour away which will give people a warm bed, a shower, and home cooked meals before and after. I wish I could be main crew, but I don't want to tell you I can and then not be there for you in the middle of the night.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/2/16 7:55 a.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

100% understood, sorry for not getting you an email reply when we talked about this previously. Added benefit for potential applicants- you get to hang out with the legendary Mazdeuce!

java230
java230 HalfDork
5/2/16 9:15 a.m.

Sometimes I wish I was on the other coast. Id be down in a heartbeat if it was closer.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 SuperDork
5/2/16 9:45 a.m.

Oh man, this is my dream job!

Not sure if I can get the time off work. Or if you would want me wrenching on your car

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/2/16 10:44 a.m.

If anything serious is broken we'll be wrenching on it together. The only stuff you should have to do solo is changing a wheel, topping up fluids, maybe duct tape/zip tie wizardry, installing lights, and looking for broken stuff. Plus, have you SEEN my work?

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
5/2/16 10:56 a.m.

It's a rotary, there's hardly anything to break.

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
5/2/16 4:51 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: It's a rotary, there's hardly anything to break.

Chris already successfully completed a rally(sprint). I think that was already pushing his luck, so I'm sure you'll be busy this time

I think we'll be racing at VIR that week (or close to it), else I'd consider rolling up.

paranoid_android74
5/2/16 9:16 p.m.

The first time I crewed for a driver I earned the nick name "3 Wheel".

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo UltimaDork
5/2/16 10:12 p.m.

Hmm, rally in UP, I can do those things and live about 15 minutes from US127 (and know a guy I can park at near 75 if you're coming up that way)... Maybe, depends on work.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/3/16 4:39 a.m.

The plan is to take 80 and 75 for the most part.

monsterbronco
monsterbronco Reader
5/4/16 5:40 a.m.

IF I wasn't getting married a week later I would be in! Where in Eastern PA are you? I am in the greater philly area.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/4/16 6:58 a.m.

Bucks County, so not far from you. Looks like you have an RX7, if you ever need to offload some parts let me know

MrLittle
MrLittle New Reader
5/4/16 7:36 a.m.

I'd be interested in helping if you haven't found anyone yet.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/4/16 7:41 a.m.

In reply to MrLittle:

Haven't had anyone give a definite "yes" yet. You (and anyone else who is seriously interested) can shoot me a PM and we'll continue via email to keep the personal details out of this thread. Mazdeuce, I already have your email and will be in touch.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/13/16 7:24 a.m.

MrLittle:

I haven't heard from you, and I tried to send you a PM. Maybe the system isn't working? 6IO4I6O965, shoot me a text or something.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/25/16 7:08 a.m.

One more bump. Anybody else want to throw their hat into the ring?

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
5/25/16 8:10 a.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

I had no idea. I haven't gotten a PM let me look!

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/30/16 7:24 a.m.

In reply to MrLittle:

Hey, we're getting awfully close to the rally and I haven't heard anything from you- can you give me a call?

paranoid_android74
5/30/16 12:57 p.m.

In reply to ¯_(ツ)_/¯:

I'm going to send you a PM- there is a chance I'll be able to help out. I should have just enough time to get the day off of work.

MrLittle
MrLittle Reader
5/30/16 1:33 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ wrote: In reply to MrLittle: Hey, we're getting awfully close to the rally and I haven't heard anything from you- can you give me a call?

I apologize. I've got a deadline at work on that Friday which won't allow me to take the time off I'd need in order to help.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/30/16 2:51 p.m.

In reply to MrLittle:

No problem, thanks for letting me know.

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/30/16 3:08 p.m.

Is the service rig automatic or manual?

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ Dork
5/30/16 3:13 p.m.

Auto

Knurled
Knurled MegaDork
5/30/16 6:36 p.m.

Sweet. I'll see if I can get time off then. If you're coming across 80 then you just need to get off at the Rt. 10 exit in Ohio and drive a half mile or so to my employer's other facility, where I can stash my car for a weekend, probably, if I ask nicely.

Edit: I just realized that you were the one who posted the Ivan Chesnokov parody. I have drinks with you, trade story of many drivetrain parts broken and details of proud design of kenichi yamamoto in factory of mazda.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ES2bIxOADSjLyYJFwMc703BqycKlmFtrjDBXiWc7TX5R7OumSm8sQdomNAYhqHou