Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Reader
6/23/12 2:01 p.m.

It's been a long time since I've seen one so I figure I'd put the question to you guys:

Maybe I'm dreaming, but what are the chances of fitting a child seat (newborn) in the back of a 2nd gen RX-7 without moving the passenger seat completely up to the dash?

I'm suffering from the worst car ADD ever and a back seat is a requirement for a vehicle these days. Besides it seems like EVERY RX-7 over here has a back seat (except the FB's).

A GTV6 was also on the "idea list" if you thought that would have more room, but I'd really like another rotary....

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
6/23/12 2:05 p.m.

So put the baby seat in the front, like my friend with the '79 did.

Snrub
Snrub New Reader
6/23/12 2:24 p.m.

There are lose belts in the trunk/hatch area which are intended to be used for child seat attachment (a pre-LATCH seat solution). I believe they're intended for a child seat in the front.

hrdlydangerous
hrdlydangerous Reader
6/23/12 2:49 p.m.

Put the car seat in the front or buy an Rx-8. Newborn car seats fit very well in the back of those. Ask me how I know.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Reader
6/23/12 3:21 p.m.

An RX-8 was an option but it doesn't meet the ">25 years of age" requirement to bring back to the states. (assuming I can keep a car long enough to worry about that now)

I bet I could sell the "front seat idea" to the wife since if she's going to be around then so will her Audi wagon soooooo

Now I just have to sell my two current vehicles

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 SuperDork
6/23/12 3:31 p.m.

Buy a more practical rotary wagon or sedan. My '73 RX-2 had a very roomy back seat. Other options would be RX-3, RX-4, RX-5.

Always glad to help another rotary enthusiast!

dean1484
dean1484 UltraDork
6/23/12 4:00 p.m.

Yep I had a FB and FC with little kids. They do not do car seats well at all. Hell my 190 2.6 MB was even worse and it had 4 doors. It is a case of you really have to try the fitment. Even 4 doors does guarantee that a car seat will work.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Reader
6/23/12 4:26 p.m.

I would love love love an RX-2, RX-3, or an RX-5 but there are NONE for sale in this entire country My idea was to post my Impala for sale and pocket what I don't spend on an RX-7, then when I get back I'd start looking for an RX-3 again.

I DID see an RX-3 on RX7club.com the other day and the buyer was asking $12,000 for it without the motor/transmission... I hope that isn't the norm these days.

So I'm really leaning towards an FC for now (there's one 3.5 hours away for $1500).

When the "rotor-bug" bites...

JtspellS
JtspellS HalfDork
6/23/12 4:33 p.m.

Are you in a county that sells the Cosmo by any chance?

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
6/23/12 4:34 p.m.
Snrub wrote: There are lose belts in the trunk/hatch area which are intended to be used for child seat attachment (a pre-LATCH seat solution). I believe they're intended for a child seat in the front.

They are to secure the sunroof when it is in its bag.

(Wait... FC or FB?)

aussiesmg
aussiesmg PowerDork
6/23/12 5:21 p.m.
JtspellS wrote: Are you in a county that sells the RX5 by any chance?

FTFY

SlickDizzy
SlickDizzy UltraDork
6/23/12 5:27 p.m.
aussiesmg wrote:
JtspellS wrote: Are you in a county that sells the RX5 by any chance?
FTFY

Did you now?

Not an RX-5, last I checked.

VG30_S12
VG30_S12 New Reader
6/23/12 5:50 p.m.

Damnit Bill(hank hill voice) lol now your giving me the rx7 itch, only difference is I have no money and up to eyeballs in debt :(

cwaters
cwaters New Reader
6/23/12 8:59 p.m.

My old RX-7 FC had the rear seats. There's NO CHANCE that one could put a child seat in the back. Those seats are really not much more than child seats anyway.

Hungary Bill
Hungary Bill Reader
6/24/12 8:53 a.m.

Nope, No Eunos Cosmo's here That was a big dream of mine when we moved out here.

I think my wife is starting to get cold feet about the deal now that I'm actually starting to go through with it. I think she underestimates the power of the Rotary Addiction

Knurled
Knurled SuperDork
6/25/12 10:32 p.m.

Get a 929 and a Cosmo or Luce frontcut and mate the two, no?

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dF4MAxw5lnfhhqDUy8gT1IQVvthz8yZV7cEE2yEcjhy5IopSpf39bbuVb4WxxTRI