1 2
car39
car39 Reader
4/11/11 7:47 a.m.

Sport drinks are a good idea too. We had one event in the triple digits, and I was sick the next day from too much water, and not enough salt / sugar. The Costco stuff tastes a good / bad as the major brand, and is cheap.

Slyp_Dawg
Slyp_Dawg HalfDork
4/11/11 9:41 a.m.

either in addition to or in leiu of sunblock, get a long sleeve camping shirt. they are evidently equivalent to SPF 30-50 sunblock, and they feel light enough to wear all day on a hot day. I haven't tried it yet but it should work pretty decently

steverife
steverife New Reader
4/11/11 9:51 a.m.
sachilles wrote: Crappy tires teaches you how to be smooth

I just don't see this. Every year or two, I end up running an event or two on crappy tires and I find myself doing extreme things trying to get the car to turn. I think I'm generally pretty smooth and I think it really sets me back.

WilberM3
WilberM3 HalfDork
4/11/11 10:44 a.m.

maybe it should read, "crappy tires require you to be smooth, so if you learn to be smooth it will benefit you and you'll see huge improvements quickly", but yea i just get mad at crappy tires too. maybe a season on them would change our minds?

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
4/11/11 10:53 a.m.

Reading doesn't hurt either. There's a few good books out there, and you can pick up some of the "little things" from them. As for the numbers, spend the $20-$30 and get some professionally made magnetic numbers. I'd suggest getting three numbers, a "1", a "9" (which also doubles as a "6") and another number of your choice. With that, you can create dozens of 2 and 3 digit numbers, so you can almost always find a number that works, no matter what group you a running with.

As for driving advice, all the above plus this: figure out your driving style, then try to co-drive/ride along with people with the "opposite" style. I tend to be a more technical driver, one of my friends is much more "seat of the pants" (and marginally out of control). I learned from him that I was leaving some of my car's potential on the table. He learned from me that the car is usually fastest when the tires aren't squealing. Oh, and don't worry about the competition. I get my best results when I'm concentrating on my own driving and don't even know until the final standings go up where I'm stacking up against everyone else.

And don't forget, two primary goals are to have fun and improve your driving ability. If you worry about finishing order too soon, it's really easy to kill the fun part.

Soma007
Soma007 Reader
4/11/11 11:39 a.m.

Ugh, if you told me I had to autocross for a year on crappy all seaons then I'd probably stop autocrossing.

Lack of grip doesn't make you a better driver, just a slow one. You want a stable, consistant platorm to work on your driving and all seasons won't give you either.

You don't need race tires at first but Star Specs or Azenis are relaively cheap and a massive improvement over all seasons.

Rufledt
Rufledt HalfDork
4/12/11 4:31 p.m.

Where can I get some of this stuff? Anyone get stuff from soloracer.com? I found that one looking for helmets

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RVBFwhzFnOWGFPee8hGQNXPp9w24UBi14bqR8P393yDAzFHwKjMuHs1LD381PpCc