vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) UberDork
6/7/23 7:37 p.m.

Going to look at a 94 rwd with raised roof. Front of motor is apart. If the underneath is good, I'll pull the trigger. They're asking $650. Also hoping it has the g80 rear diff.

Here's my question. What modern relatively inexpensive engine could I put in there easily. I've done the V8 swap already (hello Jean Clyde Dam Van). How easy to put a newer V6 or other? If I do another V8 conversion I'd like to keep the fuel injection this time. Are the 94 V8 and V6 injections similar like in 92? 

Thoughts?

The 1994 V6 will use throttle body injection like the 1994 V8 would use (full size truck and van application). You can reuse the entire wire harness and everything from the V6 when you swap in a V8. You'll need a V8 distributor and a matching PROM for the ECM. You can reuse the existing ECM even. I used to swap TBI trucks from V6 to V8 pretty often back in the day.

BlueInGreen - Jon
BlueInGreen - Jon UberDork
6/7/23 8:54 p.m.

When it comes to Astro vans, the answer is always yes.

fasted58
fasted58 MegaDork
6/7/23 10:35 p.m.

Not to hijack but check out Mike Z on YT for 4WD Astro Vans while the subject is up. Awesome build.

https://www.youtube.com/@AstroVanTribe/videos

6/7/23 11:05 p.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

The 1994 V6 will use throttle body injection like the 1994 V8 would use (full size truck and van application). You can reuse the entire wire harness and everything from the V6 when you swap in a V8. You'll need a V8 distributor and a matching PROM for the ECM. You can reuse the existing ECM even. I used to swap TBI trucks from V6 to V8 pretty often back in the day.

The 92 was this way. I have the parts to do the swap. Only reason I didn't keep the FI was the cam I chose has too much overlap. The computer couldn't handle it and it would backfire into the manifold. Didn't what to try an aftermarket chip if it wasn't going to solve that problem. The intake on this (the 94) appears to have the spider Fi under the manifold that always goes bad and leaks however. I'll know more on Sunday. Here's hoping I'm wrong. A quick and dirty V8 swap would good.

In reply to vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) :

I went to Rockauto and cataloged a 1994 Astro and it shows TBI parts and not CPI parts. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UltraDork
6/8/23 7:21 a.m.

The spider delete kit for Vortec motors works great.  It removes the poppet valves so you don't need 60 psi just to start it and helps it run a little better.  I put one on my 2001 GMC Savanna.

6/8/23 11:26 a.m.
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) said:

I went to Rockauto and cataloged a 1994 Astro and it shows TBI parts and not CPI parts. 

Hmmmm....

6/8/23 11:39 a.m.

Here's a pic from the ad. Looks like CPI. Maybe it's a late 94/95 model year?

Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter)
Cousin_Eddie (Forum Supporter) Dork
6/8/23 12:00 p.m.

That's CPI, no doubt.

I spent some more time at Rockauto just now It looks like 94 is mostly calling for TBI parts, but there are a few CPI parts in the listings if you look close enough (intake manifold gasket kits, there are both varieties listed, same with injectors). It looks like 94 was a transition year. In 1995 listings things appear to be CPI parts only.

I know almost nothing about that CPI system. I did have to do the injector assembly in my 1997 truck recently but that's about all I can talk about with personal experience. My knowledge base is throttle body unfortunately.

6/11/23 4:02 p.m.

So I did not buy it. Went to see it today. It presented well from the outside. Underneath, while better than my current van, left me wanting to live in the south if only to find a rust free vehicle. The front subframe was rusty but not crusty. The body underneath was fair. Looks like it has been sitting over grass for a couple of year.

The interior...wholly nastiness Batman. Rodent feces and all kinds of detritus from stem to stern.

The front of the motor torn a part. No reason. Current owner doesn't know why. He took it in on trade for labor.

Moving on. 

Thanks for all your thoughts. No enabling today.

6/14/23 5:05 p.m.

Okay. I lied. Mostly to myself. I thought about the van, saw the ad again, and asked if they'd take $500 cash. Tomorrow I go get it. Build thread to follow. Not sure what to do about the power plant. I'll need to assess once it's home. This will ultimately replace Jean Clyde Dam Van. Now I need to work on the new name. Jackie Van is one, but I'm not married to it.

I think I enabled myself.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
6/14/23 7:33 p.m.

Morrison?

Dusterbd13-michael
Dusterbd13-michael MegaDork
6/14/23 8:02 p.m.

Stuff a 5.3 in it and call it van gohs

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
6/14/23 8:07 p.m.

The answer here is obvious.

Swap the grill and everything for safari parts. Paint it black. Tasteful body kit. slap on a set of these:

Then turbo the 4.3.

Call it a Monsoon.

6/14/23 8:27 p.m.
AClockworkGarage said:

The answer here is obvious.

Swap the grill and everything for safari parts. Paint it black. Tasteful body kit. slap on a set of these:

Then turbo the 4.3.

Call it a Monsoon.

I like how you think. Didn't a tv show do that?

AClockworkGarage
AClockworkGarage Dork
6/14/23 8:56 p.m.

No idea, but I wouldn't be surprised. I came up with the idea like 20 years ago  but like I said it's obvious.

6/15/23 10:20 p.m.

Apparently Tony Angelo just purchased an AWD Astro.

BTW, most of the names for my vehicles feature Clyde in some way.

Clyde, Bionic Clyde, Millennium Clyde, Darth Clyde, Obi-Clyde-Kenobi, Race Clyde, Jean Clyde Dam Van. Trying to come up with a sequel to that since the new van will replace JCDV. But I'm not married to the concept.

Van should arrive tomorrow while I'm at work.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3kj8turQnnFdVUWTYhAYOcBPk5BOr71QCuYG90f2zzNwxbbFIb3bhJoftpyIiCyH