1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:28 p.m.

So I knew of a guy who restored Corvair race cars and he does some pretty impressive builds. However I can not figure out a way to contact him since my only contact with him was on FB, but I quit, so that doesn't help. Can't find him on the forums either.

Anyways, one of the things that he adds to the car is a remote oil sending unit "rail" that you can hook multiple senders to. He runs a high pressure hose from the original sending unit location to the unibody frame rail where this is mounted and has a couple different oil sensors hooked to it. He told me it was a custom unit.

I imagine someone in the racing world has made something like this for universal applications. My GoogleFu is not strong with trying to find this particular item.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:33 p.m.
Stampie
Stampie Dork
2/10/17 6:36 p.m.

Holy E36 M3 $70 for that? I was thinking you could make one with a trip to home depot.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:37 p.m.

Can't fathom what such a set up is suppose to do.

Well, you could have one sender for a light and one to give pressure, I guess.

But why it would be remote, I'm lost.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:42 p.m.
Stampie wrote: Holy E36 M3 $70 for that? I was thinking you could make one with a trip to home depot.

We weren't tasked with finding a cheap one, just proving that it exists and it does indeed exist, and is for sale.

Stampie
Stampie Dork
2/10/17 6:46 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

True. No offense meant and you did a great job. I was just amazed at the price.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UltimaDork
2/10/17 6:48 p.m.

Oh ya, should have put a at the end of my reply. This was literally the first one I found. I assume there are cheaper ones or using this as a template a machinist could make one.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/10/17 6:53 p.m.

I made a clumsy version of that so I could run a true oil pressure gauge and a low pressure light in a Miata. This would have cleaned up the install a bit.

photo 0b868d22-03b8-4822-b298-c2b429e708ed_zps4bavy0rw.jpg

Stampie
Stampie Dork
2/10/17 6:53 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

back to ya then.

Kramer
Kramer Dork
2/10/17 7:00 p.m.

Is it LeVair Performance in Anderson, IN? Warren LeVeque (or something like that). He raced an EM and his son raced a Yenko. The EM had a great racing history.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/10/17 7:03 p.m.

Ah, now I understand.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/10/17 8:15 p.m.
Kramer wrote: Is it LeVair Performance in Anderson, IN? Warren LeVeque (or something like that). He raced an EM and his son raced a Yenko. The EM had a great racing history.

No it wasn't Warren. Rick Norris was his name, but I can't find him on any of the Corvair boards.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/10/17 8:20 p.m.

Cheaper to look it up as a vacuum distribution block. Most oil sender fittings are 1/8, 1/4, or 3/8 NPT. The typical vacuum block uses 1/8 npt fittings. All you need is an oil line with the proper NPT fittings at each end to get from the engine block to the distribution block, and from there you would just plug whatever you didn't use with NPT plugs.

https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vacuum+block

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/10/17 8:20 p.m.
mazdeuce wrote: Like this?

Exactly like that execpt it had three ports. Probabaly could find something like that.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
2/10/17 8:24 p.m.

Refresh the page and you will have your answer! I missed you noticing my post by seconds.

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
2/10/17 8:28 p.m.

I made something like that years ago, a trip to H-D for 1/8 brass tube and some fittings will work.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/10/17 8:42 p.m.

In reply to iceracer:

This is literally all the area I get to deal with with a sender. I'm going to be installing an electric fuel pump and I dont have enough room for the oil pressure switch that will be needed for it, plus I'm also adding an aftermarket oil pressure gauge.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/10/17 9:14 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Refresh the page and you will have your answer! I missed you noticing my post by seconds.

Haha yeah I just noticed. Some of those should be ok as long as they can deal with the oil temp.

Stefan
Stefan MegaDork
2/10/17 10:37 p.m.

The Chrysler 2.2/2.5 Turbo engines had a factory oil distribution block on the front of the motor.

Usually had 4 ports on it (Sender, switch, Turbo oil feed and the last was blocked off).

Amazon has them or you could ask a T-D person if they have an extra lying around in their pile of parts.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
2/10/17 11:45 p.m.

I would think you could also use a distribution manifold for air/pneumatic tools.

mr2peak
mr2peak Dork
2/11/17 2:11 a.m.
iceracer wrote: Can't fathom what such a set up is suppose to do. Well, you could have one sender for a light and one to give pressure, I guess. But why it would be remote, I'm lost.

It's remote because the senders are heavy, and can break off if the engine vibrates significantly.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/11/17 2:33 a.m.

It's called a manifold, McMaster has pages of them.

https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-manifolds/=16az8hh

T.J.
T.J. UltimaDork
2/11/17 9:46 a.m.

Rats. Interesting discussion here, but I thought this was going to be a thread about Sasquatch.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/11/17 12:17 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: It's called a manifold, McMaster has pages of them. https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-manifolds/=16az8hh

Hmm, it says they're rated at 200 degrees. Corvair oil usually gets up to 230 degrees. Don't think it's that big of a deal, but I wouldn't want it to fail.

EvanR
EvanR SuperDork
2/11/17 1:09 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Hmm, it says they're rated at 200 degrees. Corvair oil usually gets up to 230 degrees. Don't think it's that big of a deal, but I wouldn't want it to fail.

They're chunks of metal with holes drilled and tapped into them. What could possibly fail??

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LCYCHzopYXysIsKQqWgGaclsbVvt1xHBlseng3f26Cw9CaNVziiG48mkW0QAjZdW