1 2
SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/11/17 1:23 p.m.
EvanR wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: Hmm, it says they're rated at 200 degrees. Corvair oil usually gets up to 230 degrees. Don't think it's that big of a deal, but I wouldn't want it to fail.
They're chunks of metal with holes drilled and tapped into them. What could possibly fail??

Hey, I've seen some pretty weird E36 M3 happen in my lifetime.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair UltimaDork
2/11/17 1:33 p.m.

In reply to SyntheticBlinkerFluid:

Rick Norris was pretty active on the FastVair yahoo group back in the day. Not sure who hosts FastVair these days, but you can probably find him that way.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/11/17 2:56 p.m.

In reply to AngryCorvair:

Wonder if it's still around, I'll have to take a look.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
2/11/17 3:10 p.m.
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: It's called a manifold, McMaster has pages of them. https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-manifolds/=16az8hh
Hmm, it says they're rated at 200 degrees. Corvair oil usually gets up to 230 degrees. Don't think it's that big of a deal, but I wouldn't want it to fail.

They're also rated for 3000 psi at which point getting aluminum that hot will make a difference*, I don't think such an arrangement would get anywhere near oil temp to begin with though since there wouldn't be any oil flowing through it.

*See here at "Tensile Strength, Yield", strength starts to drop off around 200F, not a concern for a 3000psi part that will see 100psi tops even if it does get up to 230F.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
2/11/17 4:24 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote:
BrokenYugo wrote: It's called a manifold, McMaster has pages of them. https://www.mcmaster.com/#standard-manifolds/=16az8hh
Hmm, it says they're rated at 200 degrees. Corvair oil usually gets up to 230 degrees. Don't think it's that big of a deal, but I wouldn't want it to fail.
They're also rated for 3000 psi at which point getting aluminum that hot will make a difference*, I don't think such an arrangement would get anywhere near oil temp to begin with though since there wouldn't be any oil flowing through it. *See here at "Tensile Strength, Yield", strength starts to drop off around 200F, not a concern for a 3000psi part that will see 100psi tops even if it does get up to 230F.

Ahh ok, that's good to know.

patgizz
patgizz UltimaDork
2/11/17 4:34 p.m.
Vigo wrote: Cheaper to look it up as a vacuum distribution block. Most oil sender fittings are 1/8, 1/4, or 3/8 NPT. The typical vacuum block uses 1/8 npt fittings. All you need is an oil line with the proper NPT fittings at each end to get from the engine block to the distribution block, and from there you would just plug whatever you didn't use with NPT plugs. https://www.amazon.com/s/ref=nb_sb_noss?url=search-alias%3Daps&field-keywords=vacuum+block

even better looked up as an air manifold, solid block of aluminum with 1/4 npt ports in it.

i have one with an in and 2 ports. here is one with 5.

northern tool manifold

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
2/11/17 5:42 p.m.

If my father was alive he could make one.

anyway, a machine shop could make one. Price would be questionable.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
9Ds9ycSAGUCGisaM4rUvxDCJILmcHdUFpw8ydugqrWweiyLHsKudkzM4cEJraY6p