1 2 3
mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
11/30/15 2:37 p.m.

Last year was my first year to experience the Rolex 24 with my (then) 12 year-old son. Being our first trip there, we didn't have a clue how to maximize the experience of the event.

How do you guys enjoy the race? What do you see as the must-see/must-do parts of that event? We were blown away by the race itself and can't wait to come and see it in 2016 but we want to have the best experience we can while there.

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
11/30/15 2:41 p.m.

I am interested in hearing suggestions as well. This year will be my 1st year going. We are going for my bachelor party and camping in the infield.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
11/30/15 2:46 p.m.

We always make our way up to the grandstands to watch for awhile up there. Best view of the track but can often get overlooked by staying in the infield. Also, before the start you can roam around the pit lanes and see/meet the drivers, take pictures, etc. They also do a wine tasting and chili cook-off on Saturday night I believe, we did that a couple years ago and it was fun (free chili afterwards too).

If you have a favorite driver and they have to leave the track for repairs you can watch them work on the cars in the garage area as well.

Those are just a few things that spring to mind. GRM does a bunch of cool stuff too, but I'm sure more will elaborate on that.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
11/30/15 2:48 p.m.

Well, tip #1 is to get at ticket to the GRM Experience at the Rolex 24. Unfortunately, it only took us one day to sell out this year!

https://grassrootsmotorsports.com/events/2016-grassroots-motorsports-experience/

Check out the February 2015 issue of GRM---- there's tons of good information on how to do Rolex in there. We'll have a similar guide in the February 2016 issue---- but you'll have to wait until after Christmas to get that issue.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
11/30/15 2:53 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

I love koolaid! :)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
11/30/15 2:56 p.m.

You didn't hear it from me, but soon we'll be posting an updated Rolex At Daytona fan guide to our site.

mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
11/30/15 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Joe Gearin:

I intended to get GRM Experience tickets for 2016 but missed the boat. I'll be on it next year for sure.

David S. Wallens
11/30/15 3:40 p.m.

Even if you don't have one of our tickets, you can still hang with us all weekend, go on the tours, etc. We just can't offer parking or Saturday dinner.

mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
11/30/15 3:45 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Even if you don't have one of our tickets, you can still hang with us all weekend, go on the tours, etc. We just can't offer parking or Saturday dinner.

That's something I plan to do this year. I'd like to see the GRM tent and hang out for a while. I can only imagine there's little to no room under that tent should the rains come.

wae
wae HalfDork
11/30/15 4:28 p.m.

Last year was my first time, so I'm not an expert by any chance, but here's what I thought:

Definitely take the opportunities to walk through the garages and see the sights there. There are also windows on the backs of the garages that you can peer and photograph through if you can get over the creepy peeping-tom feeling. Depending on what the team is working on, that can be a better view than from the front of the garage.

The GRM tours/walks are worth at least twice what they charge (just kidding, they don't charge anything but I'd pay it if they did!) but dress twice as warmly as you think you need to for the midnight garage tour.

A company will set up a trailer in the vendor area where they'll rent and/or sell radios and/or channel lists for all the team radios. Consider that. I thought it sounded kinda dorky, but my dad insisted and I was enthralled with some of the back and forth. I recall that race control and safety also broadcast, so when the safety car came out you could kind of figure out what was going on.

The supporting races were pretty interesting and easier to check out. The pit walk before each race is really cool and you can get some great pictures and talk to drivers and crew. On the support races, though, not as many people came to those walks but for the main event, it was just a sea of humanity.

After the pit walk for the 24, we went across the track and up in to the grandstands up around NASCAR turn 1 so we could watch the cars come across the start/finish and then go through most of the infield course. That was a pretty neat way to watch the start of the race, and we stayed up there for a couple hours. It's a long walk back to the infield and FOB Grassroots, but I think the line for the shuttle was longer.

The run up to the Int'l Horseshoe is awesome at night if you're a fan of seeing glowing red brake rotors.

Joe Gearin
11/30/15 4:29 p.m.

Mk2mr said----- That's something I plan to do this year. I'd like to see the GRM tent and hang out for a while. I can only imagine there's little to no room under that tent should the rains come.

Don't worry about running out of room--- our tent is massive, and besides the dinner on Sat. night, there is usually tons of room to hang out. Come on by--- like David said, our compound is welcome to everyone--- we just can't feed and offer parking for everyone.

and yes Stefan----- I do like kool-aid, as long as it's delicious and I can share it with my friends.

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) MegaDork
11/30/15 4:50 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: and yes Stefan----- I do like kool-aid, as long as it's delicious and I can share it with my friends.

As do I Gearin, as do I....

Koolaid for everyone!

(seriously though, thanks for this thread, it may help with future plans of mine down the road which is why I posted my quasi-snarky response so that it would stay near the top )

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
11/30/15 5:56 p.m.

Pro-tip: If you're gonna park and camp in the infield (non GRM experience), get there as early as possible. If you try to show up Saturday morning, you'll have to park outside.

David S. Wallens
11/30/15 8:11 p.m.

Thanks. We try to make the tours fun. Dean, Mrs. Editor and I started the midnight tour informally several years ago. If we're going to wander the infield at night, why not open it up to the rest of the world? A year or two ago Tommy Kendall mentioned them during the broadcast. He rules, by the way.

And, yes, bundle up. It always feels a bit cooler at the track. If you're debating wearing a cap, gloves and extra layer, put them on--especially for the midnight tour.

If you can, definitely make Friday's Continental tire race, including the fan walk. The crowds aren't too bad, and it's a chance to meet a lot of our friends--Charles Espenlaub, James Clay, Eric Foss, etc.

Also, the Roar Before the Rolex is worth doing, too. It's like 90% of the cars with 10% of the crowd.

mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
12/2/15 3:43 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: If you can, definitely make Friday's Continental tire race, including the fan walk. The crowds aren't too bad, and it's a chance to meet a lot of our friends--Charles Espenlaub, James Clay, Eric Foss, etc. Also, the Roar Before the Rolex is worth doing, too. It's like 90% of the cars with 10% of the crowd.

Can't make The Roar or the Continental race unforutnately. Would have been great to possibly get to meet Ryan Eversley after binge listening to all podcasts he and Sean Heckman put together a couple months ago. If you haven't listened to Dinner With Racers, do yourself a favor. I think it's fantastic.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/2/15 4:18 p.m.

Every time I walk out to my car in the afternoon, I'm reminded that the Rolex is coming up.

Seems like they are going for 48 hours just to be ready.

David S. Wallens
12/2/15 4:57 p.m.

Bummer that you can't make the roar or Conti race. For the rest of the class, yeah, try to make one or both of those events. It's a great opportunity to meet drivers and see the cars up close.

David S. Wallens
12/2/15 4:58 p.m.
alfadriver wrote: Every time I walk out to my car in the afternoon, I'm reminded that the Rolex is coming up. Seems like they are going for 48 hours just to be ready.

That's cool. So, what are the odds-makers saying about Ford's return? Personally, I'm glad to have them back.

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
12/2/15 5:58 p.m.

Wasn't there a thread where people were posting up tickets they couldnt use? I'd love to take my dad there for the GRM experience as a Christmas Gift. I looked but can't find it now

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
12/2/15 6:01 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote:
alfadriver wrote: Every time I walk out to my car in the afternoon, I'm reminded that the Rolex is coming up. Seems like they are going for 48 hours just to be ready.
That's cool. So, what are the odds-makers saying about Ford's return? Personally, I'm glad to have them back.

Last I heard, the odds of a Ford powered car at the Rolex is quite high.

Then again, it's not the first time this powertrain has raced there. Heck, it won last year.

But since cars are such a system, well.... Lets just say, if they don't finish, it's not because of the engine.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/2/15 6:29 p.m.

If you are going to camp bring LOTS of blankets, it can get cold. Be prepared for rain and high winds also if in a tent. Ride the ferris wheel at night when the cars are running. Wear comfortable shoes and keep walking the fence for different perspectives of the race as the hours pass. Fireworks at the halfway mark. For starters.

whenry
whenry Reader
12/3/15 8:08 a.m.

My favorite part of the race is that you have the freedom to do whatever you want. You can sit in the bleachers(infield or outside); you can walk the fences; stalk the pit lane and/or garages or you can ride the shuttle to the Budweiser Deck. It is a great chance to overload on racing. Plus when you get tired or hungry, you can leave for an hour or so and they will still be racing when you get back. You absolutely cannot beat the access that you are given for this race and that doesnt include the benefits of the GRM Experience.
Probably the biggest downside is trying to find suitable housing for the weekend. Camping is very primitive unless you can afford the plush RV along the fence and the beachfront hotels/condos are pricey when you consider how long you will actually be at the room.

Joe Gearin
12/3/15 10:24 a.m.

My favorite part of the race is from 3am until 5am or so. In the depths of the night, it seems like daylight will never arrive and the race will never end. The cars are beat up, the drivers are beat up, the crew is beat up, and you can see the stress and fatigue in their eyes.

During this time the drunks are passed out, and the other spectators are asleep, leaving the place pretty much to yourself. It's a great time for photography--- especially if you like glowing rotors, and pics of the drivers / crew.

Once the sun rises the teams cheer up, as they can see the light at the end of the tunnel. During the depths of the night though, they are doing all they can, just to survive.

Oh..... and be sure to bring earplugs. Regardless of how much you love the sound of roaring race engines....it's a full 24 hours. That's a long time to expose your ears to that level of noise.....even as glorious as it is.

redstack
redstack Reader
12/6/15 1:15 p.m.

How about a hotel guide? Best clean "value" hotel? It's not like you will spend any time in it. Kayak had lots to choose from, but any real recommendations?

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/6/15 2:45 p.m.

while it's not the 4 Seasons, I've stayed at the Super 8 on Ridgewood (US 1) ... reasonably priced ... I get there (assuming I can go this yr) on Wed evening ... and check out Sun morning ...

not an exact number .. but the rate works out to be ~ $400 for the 4 nights

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
riHhnzmWdiSgDu8qvae1nRLhR3ydU29C8SXTGS8MQyis3hPp3EwpFGQ4SdJEikr1