1 2 3 4
mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
12/6/15 5:00 p.m.
redstack wrote: How about a hotel guide? Best clean "value" hotel? It's not like you will spend any time in it. Kayak had lots to choose from, but any real recommendations?

I've had the same kind of questions about lodging and I opted to stay about 20 min from the track at a Hampton Inn. I know the quality there is good and they have a good rewards program.

Wall-e
Wall-e MegaDork
12/7/15 8:23 a.m.

Get a good night's sleep the day before. Both times I went I said I would go back to the hotel and take a nap. I ended up getting side tracked and walking around. Bring good shoes as well. I spent a fair chunk of the race on my feet. You can go pretty much anywhere so take advantage of that and if something looks too far to walk to hop on one of the many trams that run all night. Like Joe I also really enjoyed being out in the middle of the night. Take the midnight tour. David, Tommy and Dean do a great job of bringing you places you wouldn't normally go on your own and getting some insight into what a massive undertaking running a 24 hour race is and meeting some of the people that make it happen.

The past two years we stayed at the Acapulco. It's a bit dated but clean and right on the beach. We got it off price line the night before we got to Daytona a couple years ago for about $70 a night and paid close to that again last year.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
12/7/15 10:16 a.m.

Generally speaking.... avoid the hotels on US-1. You are better off getting a hotel near the track (just off I-95) or on the beach. U.S. 1 can be a bit rough, and seedy, especially from 92 (International Speedway Blvd) to Beville Rd. Not a place you want to be walking around at night.

wae
wae HalfDork
12/7/15 10:51 a.m.

My dad and I are looking in to some options around renting a travel trailer to bring down and then staying in the campground on the outside of turn 1. We stayed at Perry's last year and while it was nice, the trip from the track to the hotel is kind of a pain in the butt. Plus the way they squeeze the cars in to the paddock area makes it so there are some times that you're kind of stuck. We'll see how it works out.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/7/15 12:06 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: Generally speaking.... avoid the hotels on US-1. You are better off getting a hotel near the track (just off I-95) or on the beach. U.S. 1 can be a bit rough, and seedy, especially from 92 (International Speedway Blvd) to Beville Rd. Not a place you want to be walking around at night.

thanks for that info ... hadn't realized that it could be/is that sketchy ... like I said, I've stayed right in that exact area (International Speedway - Beville Rd) for all my yrs coming to the Rolex ... 'course I'm not out walking around at night, so that could have some impact on my not realizing ... plus my favorite breakfast place is 1 block south of the motel (the Ultimate Omelet) ... I did try to get a place on the beach this yr, but it didn't have a Sat vacancy ... so ended back at the Super 8 like always

I'll try to remember to reserve earlier next yr

redstack
redstack Reader
12/9/15 11:49 p.m.

We are staying Fri thru Sun and found a place on the beach called something Cove. $70 night, older but lots of good reviews. Fingers crossed.

Dang $15 just to have the right to buy a ticket!

So the midnight walk is just first come, no reservations?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/10/15 9:55 a.m.

To do the midnight tour, just be at the entrance of the GRM tent Saturday night at midnight. I'd suggest comfy shoes, earplugs and, assuming it's chilly, appropriate dress.

That's really it.

Marjorie Suddard
Marjorie Suddard General Manager
12/10/15 10:14 a.m.
redstack wrote: We are staying Fri thru Sun and found a place on the beach called something Cove. $70 night, older but lots of good reviews. Fingers crossed. Dang $15 just to have the right to buy a ticket! So the midnight walk is just first come, no reservations?

I just had some family stay at The Cove over Thanksgiving (had too many to stuff into the house), and they were really pleased with it. It's in Ormond Beach, which is 10 miles from the track, but unlike Daytona, which really saw its beachside decline during the last recession, Ormond has lots of healthy restaurants and shops, and a much quieter beach.

Speaking of food in that area, Stonewood is a good bet for dinner; Peach Valley has a yummy breakfast (start with the apple fritters).

And while you're on the beachside, if you like sushi, you really, really want to go to Cafe du Japon at 306 Seabreeze Ave. in Daytona Beach. There's no sign--look for a question mark and the word "GAROU"--because owner and chef Maki Watanabe wants to bypass the heavy tourist presence in town and just serve great sushi to discerning locals. It's really worth the hunt.

Closer to the speedway you'll find one of the GRM crew's favorite restaurants, Hibachi Grill & Supreme Buffet. It's just east of the track on ISB in the K-Mart plaza, and has some of the finest fried chicken this yard-bird enthusiast has ever eaten, as well as a very good salad bar. And seriously, how could anyone resist a "supreme" buffet?

Margie

fiesta54
fiesta54 Reader
12/14/15 5:33 p.m.

I'm looking at buying some tickets as a Christmas present right now. If I do the 4 night deal with camping (just in a tent) should I be worried about getting a spot? Or is it relatively easy to park early on?

whenry
whenry Reader
12/18/15 9:39 a.m.

Tickets arrived today!

Devilsolsi
Devilsolsi New Reader
12/18/15 10:04 a.m.

Does anyone know if there is a schedule of events anywhere? Looking to see what is going on Friday and Saturday morning before the race actually starts.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/19/15 7:02 p.m.

won't be there ... first miss in 10 yr .. I realize that there many that have much longer streaks .... wasn't posting to start a (peckermeasuring contest)

just that's how long I've been involved in this addiction of ours ...

kidney removal on the 4th and 4 - 6 days of in hospital recovery, and then 4 - 6 weeks of at home recovery .... and even if all goes perfectly, there still won't have been anything done to the tumor in the upper should/back/spine area that is causing all the excruciating pain ... which would change a 1 day 10 hr trip to a 2/3 day drive each way ... plus the amt of pain meds I'm on don't lend themselves to the concentration needed to negotiate the noon time traffic through Columbia, and then evening traffic through/around Jacksonville, plus just the craziness of I 95 after dusk ... this country boy ain't used to that sort of traffic ... plus the amt. of main meds are again something that probably aren't good for my drivers license's safety (not discounting the danger it might be for my fellow idiots on the highway

hope I see all y'all in '17

walter

p.s. the ticket was sold within seconds of posting it on another forum ... I was headed here to post it for sale, when I got the "ping" of a PM that said I'll take it ... and less than 5 min later 2 more

06HHR
06HHR HalfDork
12/19/15 7:19 p.m.

Was coming by myself, but looks like the missus got that weekend off so she and the grandson will be joining me. This will be his first, he's 5

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
12/19/15 8:51 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

That sux.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg MegaDork
12/19/15 9:47 p.m.

We will miss our annual get together Walter, I will bend my elbow in honor my friend.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/20/15 6:51 a.m.

I'll miss the heck out of all my regulars ... and all the "new" GRM faces put to user names ... looking forward to '17

wheeler
wheeler New Reader
12/20/15 8:51 a.m.

This will be our 3rd year.

IMO...Thurs and Fri (believe it or not) end up being our best days. The access and places you can find your way into are crazy. 5 min conversation with Patrick Long! We fly in Wed night and do it ALL! No crowd to speak of really. But standing at the pit out, with 30 cars pulling out and hitting the rev limiter, one by one...priceless! No crowd, more time to explore the vendors and other stuff that's too crowded on Saturday. Don't get me wrong, the race is fun (RIDICULOUS FUN), especially the pre race walk out on the grid and track. Last year, shorts and t shirts, backpack full of IPA's, sitting ON the track leaning against the wall, taking it all in...amazing. But there will be an ass load of people on Saturday so the "special" all access feeling goes away. GRM Experience, what can I say, just a first class group!

Watch some from the grandstands FOR SURE! The "no fun police" have put the kabash on standing near the fence, but still give it shot. The first year we were there I think we were maybe a dozen people total on the grandstand side at night. We literally had our phones poked through the fence with DP cars raging by at 190 mph, not 5' away, punching you in the chest lap after lap. Smart? No. Memorable? YES!!! Rear diffuser exploded on a Ferrari and showered carbon fiber on us at one point!

Not sure what he situation will be for watching the bus stop?? They tore down the bleachers back there and assuming the Budweiser party deck went with it. Sad...this was an EPIC place to see the carnage of the bus stop!

Wear or take long pants to put on if you happen to get access to the hot pits. Temps will get cold at night, even though it's not COLD, always seems like I wish I had a better jacket and better gloves.

We always stay in a condo on the beach, VRBO. There are a ton of them and way nicer than the E36 M3ty hotels around there.

Across from the track, in a strip center is an unbelievable liquor store, I mean freaking HUGE with every kind of craft and micro brew you can imagine.

We usually eat mexican food TWICE at Tia Cori's, nothing special, just kickass authentic mexican food. And throw down a few post track pops at the Oyster Pub in Daytona Beach.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/20/15 9:32 a.m.
wheeler wrote: This will be our 3rd year. IMO...Thurs and Fri (believe it or not) end up being our best days. The access and places you can find your way into are crazy. 5 min conversation with Patrick Long! We fly in Wed night and do it ALL! No crowd to speak of really. But standing at the pit out, with 30 cars pulling out and hitting the rev limiter, one by one...priceless! No crowd, more time to explore the vendors and other stuff that's too crowded on Saturday. Don't get me wrong, the race is fun (RIDICULOUS FUN), especially the pre race walk out on the grid and track. Last year, shorts and t shirts, backpack full of IPA's, sitting ON the track leaning against the wall, taking it all in...amazing. But there will be an ass load of people on Saturday so the "special" all access feeling goes away. GRM Experience, what can I say, just a first class group! Watch some from the grandstands FOR SURE! The "no fun police" have put the kabash on standing near the fence, but still give it shot. The first year we were there I think we were maybe a dozen people total on the grandstand side at night. We literally had our phones poked through the fence with DP cars raging by at 190 mph, not 5' away, punching you in the chest lap after lap. Smart? No. Memorable? YES!!! Rear diffuser exploded on a Ferrari and showered carbon fiber on us at one point! Not sure what he situation will be for watching the bus stop?? They tore down the bleachers back there and assuming the Budweiser party deck went with it. Sad...this was an EPIC place to see the carnage of the bus stop! Wear or take long pants to put on if you happen to get access to the hot pits. Temps will get cold at night, even though it's not COLD, always seems like I wish I had a better jacket and better gloves. We always stay in a condo on the beach, VRBO. There are a ton of them and way nicer than the E36 M3ty hotels around there. Across from the track, in a strip center is an unbelievable liquor store, I mean freaking HUGE with every kind of craft and micro brew you can imagine. We usually eat mexican food TWICE at Tia Cori's, nothing special, just kickass authentic mexican food. And throw down a few post track pops at the Oyster Pub in Daytona Beach.

the "no standing next to the fence has always been the rule ... at least for the 10 yrs I've been going

wheeler
wheeler New Reader
12/20/15 3:51 p.m.
wbjones wrote:
wheeler wrote: This will be our 3rd year. IMO...Thurs and Fri (believe it or not) end up being our best days. The access and places you can find your way into are crazy. 5 min conversation with Patrick Long! We fly in Wed night and do it ALL! No crowd to speak of really. But standing at the pit out, with 30 cars pulling out and hitting the rev limiter, one by one...priceless! No crowd, more time to explore the vendors and other stuff that's too crowded on Saturday. Don't get me wrong, the race is fun (RIDICULOUS FUN), especially the pre race walk out on the grid and track. Last year, shorts and t shirts, backpack full of IPA's, sitting ON the track leaning against the wall, taking it all in...amazing. But there will be an ass load of people on Saturday so the "special" all access feeling goes away. GRM Experience, what can I say, just a first class group! Watch some from the grandstands FOR SURE! The "no fun police" have put the kabash on standing near the fence, but still give it shot. The first year we were there I think we were maybe a dozen people total on the grandstand side at night. We literally had our phones poked through the fence with DP cars raging by at 190 mph, not 5' away, punching you in the chest lap after lap. Smart? No. Memorable? YES!!! Rear diffuser exploded on a Ferrari and showered carbon fiber on us at one point! Not sure what he situation will be for watching the bus stop?? They tore down the bleachers back there and assuming the Budweiser party deck went with it. Sad...this was an EPIC place to see the carnage of the bus stop! Wear or take long pants to put on if you happen to get access to the hot pits. Temps will get cold at night, even though it's not COLD, always seems like I wish I had a better jacket and better gloves. We always stay in a condo on the beach, VRBO. There are a ton of them and way nicer than the E36 M3ty hotels around there. Across from the track, in a strip center is an unbelievable liquor store, I mean freaking HUGE with every kind of craft and micro brew you can imagine. We usually eat mexican food TWICE at Tia Cori's, nothing special, just kickass authentic mexican food. And throw down a few post track pops at the Oyster Pub in Daytona Beach.
the "no standing next to the fence has always been the rule ... at least for the 10 yrs I've been going

Like I said, our first year was 2014 and believe me...I was stunned nobody said anything to us. It was NUTS. I'll post some video if I can find it!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/20/15 5:53 p.m.

it is a blast to get down on track level and get next to the fence ... the "no fun police" won't hassle you as long as you keep moving ... they'll even give you a bit of slack if you stop for a moment ... and then move on

when the Mazda rotaries were running it was a blast to be at that level and turn your back to the oncoming traffic (what a dumb ass thing to do ) and listen to the cars coming out of NASCAR 4 ... even standing all the way down track at pit out, you could tell it was a Mazda the entire length of the front straight .... dang they were loud ... then watching all the flame popping as they downshifted for turn 1

wheeler
wheeler New Reader
12/21/15 9:48 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

For sure! SO many sights and SOUNDS...that's what I love about Rolex! So many great cars, all with their unique sound, all etched into my brain. The Ferrari Challenge race we always try to take in at least one from the Grandstand side. The sound of thirty two F 458's tearing up the front stretch and downshifting into T1 is just insane!

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
12/21/15 12:40 p.m.

yes it is

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
12/21/15 12:51 p.m.

Yeah, Thursday and Friday are the days most people miss. Likewise, the Roar Before the Rolex is also worth doing--all of the cars but none of the crowds.

mk2mer
mk2mer Reader
12/21/15 3:31 p.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, Thursday and Friday are the days most people miss. Likewise, the Roar Before the Rolex is also worth doing--all of the cars but none of the crowds.

The Roar will go on my calendar for next year as will my third Rolex 24.

wheeler
wheeler New Reader
12/23/15 5:41 p.m.
mk2mer wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote: Yeah, Thursday and Friday are the days most people miss. Likewise, the Roar Before the Rolex is also worth doing--all of the cars but none of the crowds.
The Roar will go on my calendar for next year as will my third Rolex 24.

Likewise! I would really like to do that. We're in KC so it's a tough call with Rolex the following month, but that "having the place to yourself" feeling is awesome! Below are a couple of pics from 2014 when we drove our rented mini van up behind the grandstands (because we could) and actually watched the race between the breezeway...just to say we did!! Hahahaahahahh...nobody said a word to us...there was nobody around at all!!

SO glad we got to enjoy the old bleachers before they redid everything. Like visiting the old Yankee stadium!

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
KrxlBI49UoVhhpInq4Sc1P7pWoXRZIS3Gu3c8u8W7R0ko6Cnb85Vl3zvoo4At1xw