ZOOMiata
ZOOMiata Dork
6/21/08 7:54 p.m.

You may recall that I bought a 92 Corvette recently. Next week I'm participating in a drag event. The question I have is how do I accessorize my little black dress? Seriously, there is no timing -- it will be a flag drop start to the end of the 1/4. How do I do this most effectively? The Corvette is an LT1 six speed, for what it's worth.

Rob

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt HalfDork
6/21/08 8:14 p.m.

Sounds like one of those special events put on to get street racers to go legit. I'd like to hear how it went.

The biggest trouble you'll have with a C4 is traction. You've got a lot of tire, but they're low profile tires, you're trying to put down a lot of power, and the tires are usually low profile. If you're running hard street tires that will make it worse.

On a dragstrip, they'll have specially prepared the area around the starting line for more traction, and this will make it easier to hook. If this is something like a runway or other "irregular" venue that's been rented for the event, the key is going to be a good launch. My Corvette, with an automatic and the less powerful L98, could smoke the tires if I just put it in second gear from a standing start and nailed the throttle. So your key here is going to be good modulation of the clutch and throttle.

The best investment you could make is a set of drag radials on a second set of rims. I can't remember off the top of my head if you can fit 15" (diameter, not width) wheels on the back of a Corvette, but you can check out what combos people are running at Corvetteforum.com and see if you can fit tires with more sidewall height.

Xceler8x
Xceler8x Reader
6/22/08 8:16 a.m.

Don't burn out. Street tires don't need that.

Avoid the water box before launching by driving around it.

Stage

Rev to peak torque with the clutch in at the line.

At green feed out the clutch to avoid wheel spin

Shift at redline

Finish!

maroon92
maroon92 Dork
6/22/08 9:24 a.m.

here are my directions for drag racing (they are the same as my directions for autocrossing a FWD car): Point and Shoot. it is that simple.

Varkwso
Varkwso Reader
6/22/08 5:17 p.m.

Try launching at 2500-3000 rpm - the C4/5/6 all have wheel hop off the line if you rev high and drop the hammer. Practice it in a safe spot if you can. If you can get a decent 60 ft time you should be able to run down almost anybody...

have fun...

P71
P71 Reader
6/23/08 12:11 a.m.

DO burn out, you need the heat! Also cleans off the dirt/crud that's picked up in the staging lanes. No need to avoid or go through the water box, it's personal preference.

Leave on the 3rd Yellow, NOT the green!

Drag racing is all in the first 60'. Launch with high-RPM's and smooth throttle/clutch action and run hero times. Spin or bog and you will go slow.

Flag drops/no timing events are tough. Usually no track prep involved.

crimson
crimson
6/23/08 9:17 a.m.

The event that we are taking part in is called www.armdrop.com.

slefain
slefain Dork
6/23/08 10:11 a.m.
P71 wrote: DO burn out, you need the heat! Also cleans off the dirt/crud that's picked up in the staging lanes. No need to avoid or go through the water box, it's personal preference.

I'll agree with the quick tire turnover to clean off the treads, but driving through the water box is a bad idea. Street tires with tread patterns pick up water in the grooves. You'll track water up into the launch area. Might not affect your launch, but it might affect the guy behind you. I've always seen it as common courtesy. Pull around the water box and back in, quick dust off tire turnover (not a John Force smoker) and you're set.

AutoXR
AutoXR New Reader
6/23/08 1:01 p.m.

Rob.

Pump up the fronts to 40ish PSi (im trying to think if I have narrower fronts somewhere )

Drop the rears down to 20Psi..

Shannonville isn't the stickiest track.. so high RPM launches won't do much...

IF you go on the green ,you are too late.. go on the last yellow. The slack in the driveline and the time it takes your old brain to react will be enough.

Don't drop the clutch , side step it @ below 2 Grand.. depending on how well it stick , I would increase RPM each time until I found the sweet spot. Keep in mind this isn't some high strung 4cyl. Most of the guys on vette forums let it go @ about 1800Rpm with streets

practice at night across from your house at the industrial complex... thats where we go.

You should be able to crack a low 13 with ease.. Our old L98 lumber wagon will do high 13's

Hows the clutch?

Also look up cutting the air box. they use a panel filter encased in plastic. It's a super common mod and is good for .2 tenths or so. U need a nibbler or dremel drill to do it. Takes 2 secs...makes it sound badass-er too! YES! i said Badass-er!

Take a cooler with a few bags of ice and ice the plenum before you run... Just leave the bag on top of the plenum

De-Screen the MAF (we did it on both LT1 wagons) fairly easy.

Learn to powershift!

aircooled
aircooled Dork
6/23/08 3:20 p.m.

One trick I believe I read in some VW (that's aircooled VW) magazine was pulling the parking brake on the line and giving a little clutch to take out any slack in the drivetrain. Not sure if this is effective or even necessary, but a Bug has to have a lot of power to spin the rear wheels (too much traction) so there is a lot of drivetrain stress.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
GZrddPI1PCextic9tJG6hPTj4Hc4h3QseoJDW6dyKvD9WfJvEm49MbX2ZRIZMiPg