ls1fiero
ls1fiero Reader
11/19/13 1:02 a.m.

I forgot how much more pleasant it is to drive when the roads are empty. It was a full moon and starry night drive tonight across town, Sooooooo much more pleasant without the traffic!

kanaric
kanaric Reader
11/19/13 1:08 a.m.

I drive under conditions like this every day when I go to work, lol. Where I drive as well there is no light pollution for about 40 miles so you can see quite a bit of stars as well.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic UltraDork
11/19/13 1:45 a.m.

You just have to be careful on the long highway stretches, just the other day I had a friend wake up bouncing his fender off the armco. He managed to recover it, but the car is pretty berked up now.

AverageH
AverageH New Reader
11/19/13 4:12 a.m.

In reply to Kenny_McCormic: Reminds me of a friend I have that fell asleep at the wheel at 3am; she was on I-5 and swerved to the right, up a steep embankment, slammed into the interstate sign and knocked it 30 feet away. The loud noise woke her up, while still traveling about 50 mph, and she swerved really quickly back down the hill and onto the road. She kept driving as nobody saw what happened.

-Hamid

tr8todd
tr8todd HalfDork
11/19/13 6:25 a.m.

The problem with driving at night is the police have nothing better to do so you get pulled over for doing 10 over. In the 10 years I worked night shift I was pulled over 6 times. Not doing anything crazy, and twice were just completely bogus. Several times I had police cars tailgating me trying to get me to do something stupid. In 30 years and with all the day time driving I do, I have been pulled over once. Amazes me that people can do 80 during rush hour with no consequences, but 65 at night gets you a ticket. Every time I was a victim of the tailgating thing, I was driving either one of my TR8s or my TVR. I'm not talking just pull up to see what kind of car it is, I'm talking bumper on bumper for miles. Hit the town line and the police car pulls over and does a U-turn.

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory Dork
11/19/13 6:40 a.m.

Sunday is my Monday. I'm on the road before sunup and even though its early, it's soooo much more enjoyable to drive.

paranoid_android74
paranoid_android74 HalfDork
11/19/13 6:46 a.m.

Hey, same here! I start at 4 am so it's just me and the deer on the roads.

As for the PO PO presence, yes- when they aren't shining deer they are very likely to pull you over!

ebonyandivory wrote: Sunday is my Monday. I'm on the road before sunup and even though its early, it's soooo much more enjoyable to drive.
mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
11/19/13 7:02 a.m.

I hate the cop thing.. one of the reasons I -love- cruise control. Get a cop on your rear bumper.. set the cruise and bore them to death.

Last one practically followed me into my driveway

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/19/13 7:08 a.m.
tr8todd wrote: The problem with driving at night is the police have nothing better to do so you get pulled over for doing 10 over. In the 10 years I worked night shift I was pulled over 6 times. Not doing anything crazy, and twice were just completely bogus. Several times I had police cars tailgating me trying to get me to do something stupid. In 30 years and with all the day time driving I do, I have been pulled over once. Amazes me that people can do 80 during rush hour with no consequences, but 65 at night gets you a ticket. Every time I was a victim of the tailgating thing, I was driving either one of my TR8s or my TVR. I'm not talking just pull up to see what kind of car it is, I'm talking bumper on bumper for miles. Hit the town line and the police car pulls over and does a U-turn.

Call the state police on your cell phone (hands free of course) and report an aggressive / dangerous driver is tailgating you and you would like police assistance. Then give then a description of the vehicle. What you are describing is driving to endanger.

dean1484
dean1484 PowerDork
11/19/13 7:10 a.m.

To follow this up. I use to drive to work very early in the morning and would routinely get followed by the LEO in a town I had to go through. Finally I decided to pull over when I saw him and ask if there was any coffee shops open this early near by. After that (and a little more conversation about where I was going etc) I was never bothered again.

Ian F
Ian F UltimaDork
11/19/13 7:34 a.m.

I used to leave my ex-g/f's house really late all the time. I've been pulled over a couple of times late at night for I think were DUI checks. After shining the flash light into my eyes and giving me the once-over, I was told 'One of your tail lights is out... have a safe drive home.' Usually this was as I was pulling into the local Dunkin Donuts for coffee.

I've had way too many clsoe calls falling asleep while driving to take those chances anymore - especialyl as I get older. The worst was driving into work one morning and a really soft song came on the radio... I somehow managed to "sleep-drive" for about 5 miles during rush hour on a three lane hwy that was not straight. I came to just as I was passing my exit. I have no idea how I did it, but it was by far the scariest thing that's ever happened to me in a car.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
11/19/13 7:35 a.m.
ls1fiero wrote: I forgot how much more pleasant it is to drive when the roads are empty. It was a full moon and starry night drive tonight across town, Sooooooo much more pleasant without the traffic!

Wait a minute...

Are you posting on the internet while you are driving??

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Pc8Nn2fT6AOTSaCtpzNqgNeTLIcaDCErM6O6y7YaZUiYXUl6BIsO2rU0naZzapFp