93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/30/09 2:19 p.m.

Sooo....

I found an MGB GT for sale locally for $150.

http://indianapolis.craigslist.org/pts/1010540313.html

I'm sure i could get it for $100 or less.

Also in this area there seems to be no shortage of $500 fox body GT mustangs missing nothing but motors, and $250 running complete 302s...

For someone that hasn't really done a ground up project like this before, how suicidal and stupid is this?

Talk me out of it. Body work doesn't scare me, and i kindof like the patina this thing has.

My recipe is as follows:

MGB GT of unknown year, $150

1988 Mustang GT, missing only engine, $500

1988 GT 302 w/ 100k, $250

Ford 8.8" rear w/ limited slip + 3.73s, $150

Talk me out of it. PLEASE. Or don't. Whatever you think.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
1/30/09 2:37 p.m.

If I were going to do that build I think I would leave the MG rusty like it is. Go for a rat rod kind of thing.

I should be able to sell off what you don't need from the Mustang to recoup some money.

Do it.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/30/09 2:53 p.m.

I'm more worried about it being over my head..... but it should be fairly straight forward.

Cut until it fits, then weld it shut.

Is this Challenge-worthy?

My other plan was to buy an LT1 camaro and sell pieces i don't need off of it until i was underbudget, then just spray it. But that seems almost like cheating.

jdmae92
jdmae92 Reader
1/30/09 3:03 p.m.

If you are interested in doing that project for the challenge I have a MGB in much better shape than that one along with a complete 302 and T5 and a Mustang 5.0 that has everything but the engine and trans (taking that out for another project). I am going to sell it since I need to get rid of all my project cars and get a reliable DD. I was going to try to maximize my profit by selling everything separately but I may be convinced to sell a MGB V8 with some assembly required for a challenge friendly price. (<1k)

Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/30/09 3:18 p.m.

The problem with that MGB is that the rockers are shot. You'll be looking at quite a bit of not-that-easy work to put 'em back together, and you'll have to do it or that V8 will twist it in half.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/30/09 3:23 p.m.
jdmae92 wrote: If you are interested in doing that project for the challenge I have a MGB in much better shape than that one along with a complete 302 and T5 and a Mustang 5.0 that has everything but the engine and trans (taking that out for another project). I am going to sell it since I need to get rid of all my project cars and get a reliable DD. I was going to try to maximize my profit by selling everything separately but I may be convinced to sell a MGB V8 with some assembly required for a challenge friendly price. (<1k)

You're not helping things.

How soon do you need that stuff gone? And where are you located?

RIght now i'm realy just hashing out ideas, to be brutally honest. I have a meet at Deal's Gap that i need to sink money into the Celica for first, in April.

If the idea looked good, though, i was going to pick up the MG this weekend while i've got a little extra cash.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair Dork
1/30/09 3:47 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: My other plan was to buy an LT1 camaro and sell pieces i don't need off of it until i was underbudget, then just spray it. But that seems almost like cheating.

it is exactly like cheating. rules state purchase price of challenge car must be $200x or less.

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/30/09 3:54 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:
93celicaGT2 wrote: My other plan was to buy an LT1 camaro and sell pieces i don't need off of it until i was underbudget, then just spray it. But that seems almost like cheating.
it is *exactly* like cheating. rules state purchase price of challenge car must be $200x or less.

Well there we go!

Although i might be able to talk them down anyways... it's been listed for $2500 for quite some time now.

My bad.

jdmae92
jdmae92 Reader
1/30/09 8:31 p.m.
93celicaGT2 wrote: You're not helping things. How soon do you need that stuff gone? And where are you located?...

Not in any hurry to get rid of it. I will probably start actively trying to sell it in the spring. I am in Ashland, OH. 20 minutes from Mid-Ohio.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/31/09 8:02 a.m.

Buy Jdmae's BGT and this:

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/2008-classifieds/fscobramountaineer-302-gt40p-edelbrock-400/6915/page1/

Rolling for under $1500.

Schermerica
Schermerica New Reader
1/31/09 10:24 a.m.

you should just go buy the owner dinner somewhere in exchange for the car.

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports Reader
1/31/09 10:40 a.m.

That sounds like a good idea.

Looks like the guy just wants it out of his yard at that price.

alfadriver
alfadriver Reader
1/31/09 10:49 a.m.
Tim Baxter wrote: The problem with that MGB is that the rockers are shot. You'll be looking at quite a bit of not-that-easy work to put 'em back together, and you'll have to do it or that V8 will twist it in half.

The flip side to this problem is that it FORCES you to make sure the car is stiff enough to handle the V8. Just saying- some obstacles can actually be opportunities.

As for projects and whatnot.

The answer is that it depends. If you are super motivated to get this done, and are creative, I would go for it. It's incredbly daunting, no doubt, but if you find yourself just brimming with ideas as opposed to seeing it as a huge amount of work that looks impossible, then you may have the gumption to do it.

Although, you can have that TOO much in spades, and never get anything done (see John Brown).

Having seen a Spridget with a large V8 in front, you can do a pretty cool project. But be aware that KISS will probably rule the day, especially considering the rear of the car (no way the original rear diff/axles can handle a V8). Perhaps a Miata rear will work, or perhaps a live axle will be more effective.

If it's a simple car you want, a Mustang is a very good choice. Solid fabrication skills can fix the ills of the rear end WRT autocrossing. And you are looking at a sterotypical drag racer.

My personal two (non alfa) top challenge choices is a 5.0 Mustang and a turbo Miata. I personally think both can win it all, if done right.

Eric

ps- sorry not to talk you out of it. you are on the WRONG board for that.....

93celicaGT2
93celicaGT2 Reader
1/31/09 3:27 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Tim Baxter wrote: The problem with that MGB is that the rockers are shot. You'll be looking at quite a bit of not-that-easy work to put 'em back together, and you'll have to do it or that V8 will twist it in half.
The flip side to this problem is that it FORCES you to make sure the car is stiff enough to handle the V8. Just saying- some obstacles can actually be opportunities. As for projects and whatnot. The answer is that it depends. If you are super motivated to get this done, and are creative, I would go for it. It's incredbly daunting, no doubt, but if you find yourself just brimming with ideas as opposed to seeing it as a huge amount of work that looks impossible, then you may have the gumption to do it. Although, you can have that TOO much in spades, and never get anything done (see John Brown). Having seen a Spridget with a large V8 in front, you can do a pretty cool project. But be aware that KISS will probably rule the day, especially considering the rear of the car (no way the original rear diff/axles can handle a V8). Perhaps a Miata rear will work, or perhaps a live axle will be more effective. If it's a simple car you want, a Mustang is a very good choice. Solid fabrication skills can fix the ills of the rear end WRT autocrossing. And you are looking at a sterotypical drag racer. My personal two (non alfa) top challenge choices is a 5.0 Mustang and a turbo Miata. I personally think both can win it all, if done right. Eric ps- sorry not to talk you out of it. you are on the WRONG board for that.....

Hahah, the talk me out of it was more of a joke than anything.

I wouldn't see this as an impossible amount of work.... i'd have a year and a half to do it, and i certainly wouldn't be attempting this on my own. :D

JDMae, could you send me pics of everything you got and the price that you need to get out of it? I ran the idea past my "teammate" and he likes it, i just need to see what we're working with. Thanks!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
i5SxuXuELQA3w9KSfzRM2ZjpEBfYotWRRTIoSd6hGAQr1NKjuyQHp1INEmjDKJ0p