4 5 6 7 8
Eastwood_Company
Eastwood_Company New Reader
6/9/14 9:58 a.m.
Woody wrote: Will this stick to chrome?

Thank you nicksta43 for the answer to this!

As stated yes it wil stick with no adhesion issues to chrome

Eastwood_Company
6/9/14 10:07 a.m.
EvanR wrote: I got mine, and read the can. I can not actually figure out if the product is intended to be temporary or permanent. I sure can't figure out what to do with it if I don't know how long it will last!

Its been UV tested to the equivalent of 5 years. If that gives any resolution but yes it is still considered a temporary coating.

I understand where you are coming from. I do powder coating, and my thoughts were similar to yours, "why would I use this if i can powder coat something for more durability and longer finish"

Well let me put some examples into play. A lot of my customers and myself that ride motorcycles (before powder coating or doing a color scheme to track fairings or the bike it self) will use this product to give a quick color change and visual reference before undertaking a major project.

Next example: My 91 Camaro needs paint, it looks great and will be up and running 100% this week and would like to take it to the track and shows, but i'm not ready to drop money on paint let alone what color i would want. Elastiwrap is the next closest thing to having a nice colored vehicle without hindering a future paint job and will protect the body from the weathers or from the clear fading/chipping anymore.

Lastly: Wheel protection. Between my last car that had RPF1's to my old track bike (Carozerria wheels) to my newest camaro project leading into my soon to possibly be trans am build. I don't really cheap out on wheels (Advans, ccw, enkeis, rays, volk, ect) I absolutely hate when they get chips from stones either on the track or street, along with brake dust. Hence a clear elastiwrap to go over top or even color for that matter to protect them

Its kind of a limitless idea product, its just about what it may suit your needs.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
6/9/14 11:19 a.m.

I got a can of Burnout Black this weekend and decided to coat the grill of my SAAB 900. I scrubbed it down with a scotchbrite pad and then prepped the surface with some wax and grease remover. One final wipe with some rubbing alcohol and I then applied about five coats.

Before:

Here is the first coat, right after spraying; you'll notice that it doesn't lay down smooth when wet:

Here is a close-up, showing the imperfection in the grill itself:

Back on the car, you'll see that ElastiWrap flattens itself nicely:

I've got a can of the silver metallic on the way so I can shoot the SAAB emblem. I think I'm also going to do silver on the grill slats to give it a more finished look.

My thoughts on the product: ElastiWrap goes on just like paint, and the coats cover very well. The whole grill was very evenly covered with just two coats, but for the sake of removal, the instructions indicated that 5-6 are ideal. I put 5 or 6 coats on, and the paint did a reasonable job hiding the physical imperfections in the grill. Without being able to sand it down between coats, it certainly didn't make those flaws disappear, but then no paint would.

On the last coat, the can was nearly empty and it started to throw some boogers and get a little lumpy. Watch out for this.

Overall, it was very forgiving to work with, and while it will run if you lay it on too thick, you had to go out of your way to do so unlike regular rattle-can paints.

I'll post more pics once I get my can of silver and I finish the whole thing.

Big thanks to the Eastwood Company for putting this product out there for people to test!

EvanR
EvanR Dork
6/9/14 11:21 a.m.
Eastwood_Company wrote:
EvanR wrote: I got mine, and read the can. I can not actually figure out if the product is intended to be temporary or permanent. I sure can't figure out what to do with it if I don't know how long it will last!
Its been UV tested to the equivalent of 5 years. If that gives any resolution but yes it is still considered a temporary coating.

Well, I live in Las Vegas. We get a whole lot of UV! The UV-resistant Coroplast with which I roofed my camper lasted about 6 months!

So if this product has been UV-tested out to 5 years, I'll expect it to last 1 year here! LOL :)

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
6/9/14 12:08 p.m.
Eastwood_Company wrote:
aircooled wrote: I got mine and gave the stencil idea (car number etc.) a try....
So in your opinion would you use this product again or say it was worth the money for certain occasions? I do appreciate your feedback and i'm glad it did work out well for you!

I do like the idea of being able to temporarily paint designs on a car. I had previously considered trying temporary water based paint, but this seems like a much better idea. Seems like a great way to put designs on a car for a special occasion (parade, wedding, big game etc.) without the expense of a vinyl or magnet (which you may not ever use again). You do still have to make the stencil of course.

I am thinking that using white, on windows, might be a good way to put cone "kill" stickers on auto-X cars, but I suspect if you approach most peoples car with a spray can and a stencil you will not get a good response! It would be fun, with a nice car, to start spraying on numbers, ID's, at an event and watch everyone freak out.

I do think it would be fun to temporarily change the color of a car fairly easily. For me (a full car repaint on an already painted car), it's a bit pricey for that, but I do really like your idea of "pre-painting" a car that is not ready for paint yet. That is something I might actually try. It gives you a real life idea what a car will look like. The Intermix system gives a pretty good possible varieties. Since I am a fan of non-metallic colors (not common these days) this stuff might work out great.

Questions:

• As a default, the paint will always be flat correct?

• To get a gloss coat, you would need to gloss clear it, right? I am curious how this stuff gloss coated compared to "real" paint. Pictures are needed.

• Do you worry that this stuff will be very useful for cars used in bank robberies, international espionage etc? Have you contacted the studios? Because I can see this stuff playing a good role in the next Bond / espionage film.

oldsaw
oldsaw PowerDork
6/9/14 12:21 p.m.
aircooled wrote: Question: - Do you worry that this stuff will be very useful for cars used in bank robberies, international espionage etc? Have you contacted the studios? Because I can see this stuff playing a good role in the next Bond / espionage film.

Srsly?

Maroon92
Maroon92 MegaDork
6/9/14 12:32 p.m.

I got my can yesterday. Looking forward to using it. Let's see how it does.

aircooled
aircooled UltimaDork
6/9/14 12:42 p.m.
oldsaw wrote: Srsly?

No, not seriously.

Smuggling though, that might be the area to market to.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/9/14 12:56 p.m.

In reply to aircooled:

Pre painting, That is exactly why I did the E21. This was prior to Eastwoods entry into this market.

Thread here.

Eastwood_Company
6/9/14 2:35 p.m.

Eastwood_Company
6/9/14 2:40 p.m.
aircooled wrote:
Eastwood_Company wrote:
aircooled wrote: I got mine and gave the stencil idea (car number etc.) a try.... Questions: - As a default, the paint will always be flat correct? - To get a gloss coat, you would need to gloss clear it, right? I am curious how this stuff gloss coated compared to "real" paint. Pictures are needed. - Do you worry that this stuff will be very useful for cars used in bank robberies, international espionage etc? Have you contacted the studios? Because I can see this stuff playing a good role in the next Bond / espionage film.
1. Yes the Elastiwrap by default will be flat (the metallic's will come out more like satin). 2. And yes you would need a gloss clear to make it a gloss finish 3. Worried, not so much, unfortunately i do not know of any espionage forums that would allow a vendor. I'm still glad overall you did have a good experience with the product and were able to give a said sound opinion on it. Every little bit negative or positive counts
Eastwood_Company
6/9/14 2:42 p.m.
Mezzanine wrote: I got a can of Burnout Black this weekend and decided to coat the grill of my SAAB 900. I scrubbed it down with a scotchbrite pad and then prepped the surface with some wax and grease remover. One final wipe with some rubbing alcohol and I then applied about five coats. Before: Here is the first coat, right after spraying; you'll notice that it doesn't lay down smooth when wet: Here is a close-up, showing the imperfection in the grill itself: Back on the car, you'll see that ElastiWrap flattens itself nicely: I've got a can of the silver metallic on the way so I can shoot the SAAB emblem. I think I'm also going to do silver on the grill slats to give it a more finished look. My thoughts on the product: ElastiWrap goes on just like paint, and the coats cover very well. The whole grill was very evenly covered with just two coats, but for the sake of removal, the instructions indicated that 5-6 are ideal. I put 5 or 6 coats on, and the paint did a reasonable job hiding the physical imperfections in the grill. Without being able to sand it down between coats, it certainly didn't make those flaws disappear, but then no paint would. On the last coat, the can was nearly empty and it started to throw some boogers and get a little lumpy. Watch out for this. Overall, it was very forgiving to work with, and while it will run if you lay it on too thick, you had to go out of your way to do so unlike regular rattle-can paints. I'll post more pics once I get my can of silver and I finish the whole thing. Big thanks to the Eastwood Company for putting this product out there for people to test!

Thank you for the feedback! And it looks great! We will look into the spitting/sputtering topic with the can since it seemed to pop up with you as well.

But overall thank you again!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/10/14 9:04 a.m.

Sean @Eastwood, youve got mail

Eastwood_Company
6/10/14 10:13 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Sean @Eastwood, youve got mail

Email sent!

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/10/14 11:09 a.m.

Im very curious to see how the product holds up after a few mechanical car washes. Any GRMers any feedback on this topic yet?

Eastwood_Company
6/10/14 11:15 a.m.
4cylndrfury wrote: Im very curious to see how the product holds up after a few mechanical car washes. Any GRMers any feedback on this topic yet?

I've ran our competitors product through a mechanical car wash before, it held up, but still isn't recommended. If someone has feedback we'd like to hear it as well (even though each car wash is different)

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/10/14 11:16 a.m.

In reply to 4cylndrfury:

No experience with this particular product but I think a mechanical car wash would be a bad idea. It replicates perfectly the act of catching an edge and rolling it back to start peeling it off. A touchless automatic wash should be fairly harmless but I'm a hands on kind of guy and prefer to use "The Absorber" to clean without leaving little lint particles everywhere.

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/10/14 11:24 a.m.

That said it's not going to hurt the surface. The only danger is catching an edge and lifting.

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
6/10/14 3:33 p.m.

My can arrived over the weekend, and I thought of a use for it. How many cans are recommended for coating a set of four 15" wheels?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH MegaDork
6/10/14 3:42 p.m.
aircooled wrote: - Do you worry that this stuff will be very useful for cars used in bank robberies, international espionage etc? Have you contacted the studios? Because I can see this stuff playing a good role in the next Bond / espionage film.

Something like this was already done once, in some terrible low-budget movie I don't remember that came out in the mid-2000s, but they used vinyl wrap.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury MegaDork
6/10/14 3:57 p.m.
GameboyRMH wrote:
aircooled wrote: - Do you worry that this stuff will be very useful for cars used in bank robberies, international espionage etc? Have you contacted the studios? Because I can see this stuff playing a good role in the next Bond / espionage film.
Something like this was already done once, in some terrible low-budget movie I don't remember that came out in the mid-2000s, but they used vinyl wrap.

Also in the original Cannonball movie, remember the red err white Lambo? They washed off the outer color, revealing another color.Technically different, but you get the idea

nicksta43
nicksta43 UltraDork
6/10/14 4:12 p.m.
bgkast wrote: My can arrived over the weekend, and I thought of a use for it. How many cans are recommended for coating a set of four 15" wheels?

I'm pretty sure I saw a usage guide on their website. Depending on how much actual wheel is there. A couple thin spokes or a solid steel wheel? I'd say 2-4 depending.

Eastwood_Company
6/11/14 9:51 a.m.
bgkast wrote: My can arrived over the weekend, and I thought of a use for it. How many cans are recommended for coating a set of four 15" wheels?

As long as they aren't 15x10+ wide wheels 2 cans will be sufficient to coat them.

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
6/11/14 10:17 a.m.

Thanks. I recalled seeing a coverage guide, but couldn't find it again. I'm lazy and will probably just paint the faces. They are narrow stock wheels, but have a lot of face surface area. I'll post my results.

Mezzanine
Mezzanine Reader
6/11/14 10:58 a.m.

I got my can of silver and learned a few things about this product.

First, I tried to mask off the grill that I had already ElastiWrapped in black so I could paint just the slats silver. Turns out that blue painter's tape will make absolutely no pretense of sticking to ElastiWrap. The grill was spotless and clean, but the tape would not stick at all. I did my best to get it all masked even though the tape wasn't sticking.

I went to prep the surface for paint and discovered that the grease and waz remover I typically use to prep for paint immediately softened the ElastiWrap that I had already applied. It has dried for about three days before I prepped to shoot the silver, but the remover softened it right up. Not necessarily removing the base coat, but some would wipe away with the blue shop towel I was using.

So with a crappy masking job, I managed to get two coats of silver on the slats before I threw in the towel since the tape and paper was falling off all over the place. I got silver overspray in a few places and remembering that the grease and wax remover had softened it, I decided to try wiping the overspray with a cloth soaked with the stuff. Great news! It was just the thing to remove the overspray and smooth out the black base coat!

Happy accident perhaps, but good to know just the same. I went after one spot where the base coat was a little lumpy and the grease and wax remover smoothed it right out.

I remounted the SAAB emblem (also ElastiWrap silver) and put the grill back on the car. Looks pretty good! I'm really curious how this product would fare being shot directly onto rubber like my bumper covers.

4 5 6 7 8

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
3UTOWKkr6VrQ9chJy9ECjweYc94pKPbGrrsXOohFSFrLhJz5dLjh2wTIZo5psAoT