1 2 3
Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/7/15 10:53 a.m.

My good buddy just traded his quarter-million-mile, broke-ass-but-loved, manual trans '95 GT for a brand new automatic / turbo 4 'Stang. It looks like a nice car to me but he's a real conservative guy and change is not easy for him.

Anything that's reasonably cheap and easy and makes decent amounts of extra power that I can recommend to him?

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/7/15 11:02 a.m.

In reply to Duke:

Ford has a tune you can buy that doesn't void the warranty and adds significant power.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/7/15 11:39 a.m.

Looks like that's not available for the 2015 yet, but thanks. I'll keep an eye out on Ford Racing's website.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/7/15 11:39 a.m.

Cobb Accessport + the tunes you can download from them or dyno tune. $400 (iirc) for the accessport and the internet tunes are free. Significant power increase

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/7/15 11:41 a.m.

Yeah, I bet he's too chicken to try a third party. The car has like 300 miles on it right now, and frankly, even if it was 30,000 I bet he wouldn't but the Ford Racing flash sounds tempting.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/7/15 11:42 a.m.

If he's too afraid to use Cobb he shouldnt use anything lol

If you are that afraid to mod a car don't mod it. After two of my friends had their WRX explode and the fact that I saw them hold their value I became "afraid" to berkeley with it myself. So I just sold it and bought something old.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
7/7/15 11:42 a.m.

I went by the Ford dealer and was shocked at how reasonable the Ecoboost Mustangs were. Nothing to add to the thread except that though.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/7/15 11:44 a.m.
racerdave600 wrote: I went by the Ford dealer and was shocked at how reasonable the Ecoboost Mustangs were. Nothing to add to the thread except that though.

They are about the same weight as a mid 90s Supra and similiar power stock, lol. That's how I convinced one guy to buy one who was waffling on it.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/7/15 11:48 a.m.
kanaric wrote: If he's too afraid to use Cobb he shouldnt use anything lol

There's a big difference between a warrantied tune from the manufacturer, and a free internet download tune from Bob knows who.

kanaric
kanaric Dork
7/7/15 11:48 a.m.
Duke wrote:
kanaric wrote: If he's too afraid to use Cobb he shouldnt use anything lol
There's a big difference between a warrantied tune from the manufacturer, and a free internet download tune from Bob knows who.

Cobb is the most well known tuner out there.

Also you can "uninstall" it and nobody knows the difference so the warranty is irrelevant. It even has in the tools on the device an uninstall option, it's literally idiot proof. It's tested in MANY cars, and they have produced tunes for over a decade.

If you can't trust something like their accessport, like I said, you might as well not mod your car.

logdog
logdog SuperDork
7/7/15 11:54 a.m.

In reply to kanaric: Many manufacturers monitor how many restarts since reflash to address warrenty concerns caused by performance tuners. Im not sure if Ford does but it would surprise me if they did not.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler SuperDork
7/7/15 12:03 p.m.
Duke wrote: Yeah, I bet he's too chicken to try a third party. The car has like 300 miles on it right now, and frankly, even if it was 30,000 I bet he wouldn't but the Ford Racing flash sounds tempting.

Call me chicken too, but I wouldn't mod a car with 300 miles on it, either. Wait till the warranty runs out. That's always been my plan for the F-150.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/7/15 12:09 p.m.

Last night I pulled into a Ford Dealership after hours because I was so taken by the white Mustang I saw out front.
50th Anniversary Edition Mustang with Eco-boost.
Sample:

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/7/15 12:17 p.m.

I hate white, but that looks damn good.

Sky_Render
Sky_Render SuperDork
7/7/15 12:22 p.m.

Installing any non-Ford tune will void your warranty. Yes, Ford dealers can view the entire re-flash history of your PCM. No, re-flashing it to stock will not cover this up.

Having a dealer install the Ford Racing tune will not void your warranty. FWIW, I have found Ford Racing tunes to be the best in terms of drivability and reliability, even if they don't have quite as much power as some of the tuning shops' calibrations.

The biggest improvement in any aftermarket calibration comes from eliminating the "torque limiters" at lower RPMs. As an example, the FRPP tune on my '11 5.0 gave me ~15 peak horsepower and 65 lb-ft of torque at 1,500 RPM.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/7/15 12:27 p.m.

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/power-adders/turbosmart-blow-off-valve-for-2015-mustang-ecoboost-adds-big-power/

http://www.stangtv.com/project-5-liter-eater-ecoboost-mustang/project-car-updates-2015-mustang-ecoboost-project-5-liter-eater/

http://www.stangtv.com/news/german-tuner-schropp-fahrzeugtechniks-2015-mustang-ecoboost-project/

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/electronics-efi/mustang-ecoboost-tuning-with-scts-x4-powerflash-handheld-tuner/

http://www.stangtv.com/news/video-gibson-performance-improves-sound-and-power-in-15-mustang-gt/

http://www.stangtv.com/tech-stories/electronics-efi/more-power-in-minutes-jms-chip-upgrades-our-15-ecoboost-mustang/

http://www.stangtv.com/news/new-products/2015-ford-mustang-gt-5-0-and-ecoboost-exhaust-systems/

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/7/15 12:28 p.m.

In reply to JohnRW1621:

What was the MSRP?

bluej
bluej SuperDork
7/7/15 12:40 p.m.

When can I get one (ford racing tune) for the 2.0 in my fiance's MKC??

z31maniac
z31maniac UltimaDork
7/7/15 12:40 p.m.

Wonder if the factory fuel system has enough overhead built-in for E85?

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
7/7/15 12:52 p.m.
bravenrace wrote: In reply to JohnRW1621: What was the MSRP?

Was a Premium package w/ auto and I seem to remember $33k.

doc_speeder
doc_speeder HalfDork
7/7/15 1:02 p.m.

I had one as a rental in Vegas for 3 days. Every option, convertible. EB auto. Weird. Super refined and comfy, great on the interstate. But that motor felt like a tractor. Lots of torque, all over by 5k rpm. And it just didn't sound right in a Pony car. I just couldn't own one. I don't think more power would fix it. It's really not lacking power.

A 5.0 manual is the only way to go for me. Not that you asked my opinion.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
7/7/15 1:10 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: I went by the Ford dealer and was shocked at how reasonable the Ecoboost Mustangs were. Nothing to add to the thread except that though.
They are about the same weight as a mid 90s Supra and similiar power stock, lol. That's how I convinced one guy to buy one who was waffling on it.

Not the Twin Turbo Supras. We raced them in Speedvision Cup, and I believe ours made something like 320 at the wheels before we did anything to it. It was underrated by Toyota for whatever reason. The NA made about 240 at the crank.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
7/7/15 1:16 p.m.
doc_speeder wrote: A 5.0 manual is the only way to go for me. Not that you asked my opinion.

He owns the car already, and for a variety of reasons related to budget and family, it's an EcoBoost autobox. Is what it is. He wasn't real happy about that part of it either.

bravenrace
bravenrace MegaDork
7/7/15 1:21 p.m.
racerdave600 wrote:
kanaric wrote:
Not the Twin Turbo Supras. We raced them in Speedvision Cup, and I believe ours made something like 320 at the wheels before we did anything to it. It was underrated by Toyota for whatever reason. The NA made about 240 at the crank.

A stock EB makes about 291 RWHP, so I'd say its closer to the Turbo Supra than the NA Supra.

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
7/7/15 1:23 p.m.

I drove an ecoboost stang. Yes, it doesn't sound like a muscle car, but it moves like one...

Have your friend wait for the ford motorsport tune. They add good power.

Overall a really nice car.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LEuvVIKyXZErDeA8nIq4MDL752QYqmIIvZSL6Toxc2M4siTv6Yhw3iCt6zhyvosi