Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
11/2/23 4:41 p.m.

This probably isn't the right forum but I noticed I can no longer edit my posts; the button is grayed out?

Anyone else experiencing this?

EDIT the button appears to function for a short time.

06HHR (Forum Supporter)
06HHR (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
11/2/23 4:49 p.m.

I just edited one of my posts, maybe a connection glitch?

Duke
Duke MegaDork
11/2/23 4:50 p.m.

It's an anti-spammer feature, to stop them from editing in links after the post has been on the board a while.

Post age helps with search engine optimization - the longer a post remains on a given board, the more legitimate it appears to the almighty algorithms.

So now we get a short window to proof and correct our posts, but get locked out after a fixed number of minutes or hours.  That stops spammers from coming back weeks later and retroactively adding links into camouflaged canoe posts.

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Director of Marketing & Digital Assets
11/2/23 4:53 p.m.

That's correct--this was a user-requested anti-spam feature a few months ago that we've finally implemented. After two hours, you can no longer edit your post. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
11/2/23 9:04 p.m.

In reply to Tom Suddard :

Thanks; I don't have a copy editor so it takes me a few days before I noticed my many typos and or complete sentences.

Guess I will need to start paying attention.

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom UltimaDork
11/6/23 5:46 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

I resemble that remark.

Especially now that I've got a berking iPhone that "corrects" previous words along with the current one... cheeky

gencollon
gencollon Reader
2/1/24 10:04 p.m.

Editing 'old posts' is..... incredibly useful. Adding new content to update old posts streamlines the thread. Is there a way to manually switch this feature off?

Piguin
Piguin Reader
2/2/24 2:14 a.m.

In reply to gencollon :

Exactly. I do love build threads with a list of 'chapters' edited in the first post. Helps a lot when revisiting the thread to look for something specific without going through 100 pages...

Maybe an exception could be made based on some account activity values. Maybe enable them for 'Dork' and above or something. Even if that would still exclude me for a while, feels like a shame to lose functionality.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/2/24 2:57 a.m.
gencollon said:

Editing 'old posts' is..... incredibly useful. Adding new content to update old posts streamlines the thread. Is there a way to manually switch this feature off?

You can always quote yourself and add the updated info.

Rodan
Rodan UltraDork
2/2/24 8:25 a.m.

The edit function was very useful, especially if you have a long build thread.  This forum software is pretty terrible (as forum software goes), but the forever edit was something I really liked.  Half of my build thread would be broken photo links (thanks, Photophucket) if I hadn't been able to go back and edit them.

I like Piguin's idea of linking the feature to post count, or to certain forums, like Builds and Project Cars.  Is that possible?  

volvoclearinghouse
volvoclearinghouse UltimaDork
2/2/24 9:41 a.m.
Piguin said:

In reply to gencollon :

Exactly. I do love build threads with a list of 'chapters' edited in the first post. Helps a lot when revisiting the thread to look for something specific without going through 100 pages...

Maybe an exception could be made based on some account activity values. Maybe enable them for 'Dork' and above or something. Even if that would still exclude me for a while, feels like a shame to lose functionality.

Agreed, turn on permanent edit for anyone who has at least 100 posts or something.  I hate my typos with a purple passion, and have been known to come back and correct them days later.  Well, before they changed this feature, that is.  

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard Publisher
2/2/24 9:57 a.m.

I'll see what's feasible, everybody. Thanks for the feedback!

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
2/2/24 1:17 p.m.

In reply to volvoclearinghouse :

Agreed 

thashane
thashane Reader
2/2/24 1:42 p.m.

GRM+ feature

03Panther
03Panther PowerDork
2/2/24 4:53 p.m.

In reply to thashane :

Despite not being a +, I think that would be a good plan for the forum!

thashane
thashane Reader
2/3/24 11:22 a.m.

In reply to 03Panther :

+ and somehow grandfather in all the Dorks?

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
2/12/24 8:57 a.m.
Tom Suddard said:

I'll see what's feasible, everybody. Thanks for the feedback!

Can we make editing old posts a feature for GRM+ users? That should still prevent link spamming. I like to use the first page of my build threads as an index with links to different stages of the build, which I update as I go. 

RevRico
RevRico MegaDork
2/12/24 9:03 a.m.

Please don't take away a feature then bring it back as a microtransaction. Please. You're better than EA, Sony, Ubisoft, Microsoft, Apple, etc etc.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
2/12/24 9:07 a.m.

True, having a minimum post count would be the best way to gatekeep the Edit feature. 

J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
2/12/24 9:35 a.m.
maschinenbau said:

True, having a minimum post count would be the best way to gatekeep the Edit feature. 

We're working on restoring the edit button to those with an X amount of posts. It won't be overnight, but we got it in the works.

maschinenbau
maschinenbau PowerDork
2/12/24 11:47 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

Thank you

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
2/12/24 12:33 p.m.
Piguin said:

In reply to gencollon :

I will second this.  Having the first post as a base point to add information (being much easier to find in a large thread) is super useful in some cases.  Adding updated information/status, links to updates etc.

I was making great use of this for the Assetto Corsa league, but now have to create new threads for each season, copying and editing the first few posts each time.

It will be great to have that back if you can do it!  Thanks.

Piguin
Piguin Reader
2/13/24 6:55 a.m.

It can also be an issue when people need to edit a post that includes personal data.

While it might not be advised, it is sometimes necessary when someone needs instant help, and handy in for sale ads - as happened recently. with John coming to the rescue. 

Yes, Mods can help in editing these, but it just adds more workload. Don't know if it is more or less than the work needed to fix the threads, but I guess we won't know that until more people realize it isn't a passing bug but a permanent change.

[EDIT] Was just corrected in a build thread and TIL that the edit button is again active for those that are above a certain number of posts. A very belated thank you to the team for bringing this back.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
kK8efutY8uQSUwv3IxVF8HfHXrkr4m9jzi7ieXbwo9kI9ZcPXP1sZWKDek7MQTPW