1 2 3 4
jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
2/22/14 9:39 a.m.

I'm actually seeing quite a few of these around Melbourne. If Elio can sell as many as Can-Am does, then it really could be a success. They are certainly making a splash in the press.

Woody
Woody MegaDork
2/22/14 10:01 a.m.

There is, of course, the possibility that they've seen The Producers...

Wally
Wally MegaDork
2/22/14 10:14 a.m.

It's growing on me. For the foreseeable future I have to drive to work, 85 miles each way. I had thought about one the last time this was posted but didn't think it would do well in the snow. This winter we had three storms where my Malibu didn't have enough ground clearance. If the Elio proves to be as cheap and reliable as they say I could have some money in the budget for a small 4x4 for the deep snow.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
2/22/14 1:24 p.m.
Gearheadotaku wrote: Looks better than most of 3 wheelers I've seen. Still no interest in buying. can't help but wonder what it would look like with 4 wheels. The rears set out and exposed like the fronts. With rear or Awd.

Basically the edison 2...

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
2/23/14 6:40 p.m.
jstein77 wrote: I'm actually seeing quite a few of these around Melbourne. If Elio can sell as many as Can-Am does, then it really could be a success. They are certainly making a splash in the press.

This is sort of how I'm viewing it. An enclosed Spyder. Not that I'd expect the Elio to have Volvo wagon safety, but it should be a good bit better than a motorcycle.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/3/14 9:19 a.m.

Zombie time.

As far as doubting start ups, Fiskar wasn't and Tesla isn't offering a vehicle at $6800. If it gets built, and I really hope it does, the low price and high MPG will get enough people to overlook it's unconventionality. It already has over 25K people who have placed deposits.

Vehicle service, the deal with pep boys is interesting, and should save some overhead until they get up to speed or if they go under there is still someone trained on them.

Also, the updated body looks better.

I know that this is a big if, but if it gets built, I will get one. Green, with cruise and whatever stereo gets me an aux input.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/3/14 9:21 a.m.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/3/14 9:59 a.m.

With a little less than a year left on my Volt lease, I have to admit I'm intrigued. I'd do a volt again in a heartbeat, but if these are available when it's time to turn my Volt in, I'll certainly do the math.

I still need a bit more from the company to convince me they're for real, though. Like maybe a projected launch date? Or some comprehensive photography of at least one assembled prototype. I've seen photos and sketches of almost all the various bits and pieces, but if you look closely you realize that they aren't all on a single car, and some are still mockups. For a road going automobile, that seems like a product that's a LOOOOONG way from the showroom floor.

Hell I've seen Avengers 2 footage already and that doesn't come out for almost a year. How much closer can Elio be?

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
8/3/14 10:33 a.m.

I really want to get one of these cars. I hope they make it next year to solve my car situation. The pep boys service is a big problem as the closest one is 1 1/2 hours from me. If there is a minor recall hopefully they can send the part to me.

I know it will be a big gamble buying one but if it has problems and the engine is junk it could be converted into a EV in the future.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
8/3/14 12:20 p.m.

IF it gets made, it'll be on my list of potential cars. Still a few convenience issues I'd need to see sorted out. #1 being bike rack.

Graefin10
Graefin10 SuperDork
8/3/14 12:27 p.m.

Will they make it? IDK, but count me on the side of hopeful. Unfortunately the "made in America" decision might kill it . . . unless the parts are outsourced and it's ASSEMBLED in America. After some time to see how reliable it is, I'd be interested in buying one.

After initial startup they could include an electric version and a hybrid version. I'd still like to see a small diesel/electric car put into production.

Good luck Elio!

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
8/3/14 12:53 p.m.

In reply to Graefin10:

What's wrong with making the whole thing in the US? The parts have to be made someplace... This isn't a cheap toy or eletronics. Cars made in the US are competively priced with ones made anywhere else- there's no real advantage in the car and bike industry.

What I'm more worried about is exactly what JG is- reality. I would expect at least one prototype driving around someplace- it takes a lot of work to make them robust to all of the conditions around the US.

bastomatic
bastomatic SuperDork
8/3/14 1:02 p.m.

They have said recently they plan on beginning the hiring process for plant workers in 2Q 2015, so manufacturing is at least some ways off even in the best of circumstances.

neon4891
neon4891 UltimaDork
8/3/14 4:49 p.m.

The orange one is the 4th prototype and that is running around for auto journalists. It even did snow testing and did as well as regular fwd econoboxes.

Unfortunately it is a little too far out for me to be confidant with placing a deposit yet. I would also love to see it as an oil burner, that would have to hit 100 mpg.

Catatafish
Catatafish Reader
8/3/14 5:14 p.m.

Are those geo metro clusters?

Burrito Enthusiast
Burrito Enthusiast HalfDork
8/3/14 5:33 p.m.

Ifwhen they become available, I'll be the sucker at the front of the line.

I think they look like an absolute hoot to drive. Can't wait for Spec Elio to become a thing. That could be some hilariously awful racing.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof PowerDork
8/3/14 6:16 p.m.
Catatafish wrote: Are those geo metro clusters?

Yup. The prototype(s) I've seen were loaded with Metro parts, including the motor.

I've seen and read a lot about these, and as yet have seen nothing that made me think it will ever happen. I predict that, in the end, there will be a lot of people wondering where all the money went.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/3/14 7:39 p.m.

They are up the street here in Louisiana and there have been investigations. I am really excited about the prospect though. I hope it flies.

In most states you will only have to have a trike/motorcycle license and I am curious what that means for helmet requirements. This also means that they do not have to meet crash test ratings. But they say that they will.

If it does make it to production, I see a very fast after market for 4 wheel conversions

bigfoot21075
bigfoot21075 New Reader
8/4/14 5:29 a.m.

You would think it would be safer, and it does sound safer than a motorcycle, but you have to remember - it is legally a motorcycle. You need a motorcycle license to operate it and you have to wear a helmet in states that require it. That my cut down on its audience....

Klayfish wrote:
jstein77 wrote: I'm actually seeing quite a few of these around Melbourne. If Elio can sell as many as Can-Am does, then it really could be a success. They are certainly making a splash in the press.
This is sort of how I'm viewing it. An enclosed Spyder. Not that I'd expect the Elio to have Volvo wagon safety, but it should be a good bit better than a motorcycle.

You can't add a fourth wheel, you will turn it into a car. Then it has to meet a whole bunch of difficult standards

Flight Service wrote: They are up the street here in Louisiana and there have been investigations. I am really excited about the prospect though. I hope it flies. In most states you will only have to have a trike/motorcycle license and I am curious what that means for helmet requirements. This also means that they do not have to meet crash test ratings. But they say that they will. If it does make it to production, I see a very fast after market for 4 wheel conversions
DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/4/14 6:20 a.m.

Not all states have helmet laws, but Elio has gotten signed waivers in almost every state that has helmet laws so drivers (riders?) don't have to wear a helmet.
I'm eager to see this produced and hope it does. My wife and I have talked about it and we fully plan to sell the TDI and buy one if they are produced. That said, I don't give it a great chance of actually going into production. I believe they fully intend to, but it's a long, steep, uphill ride still.

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
8/4/14 6:44 a.m.

Still pulling for them big time to make production. Very tempted to get on the waiting list, but don't want to put even $100 down quite yet. With my commute now, it'd be perfect.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 Dork
8/4/14 7:31 a.m.

Still in the want category myself. I just need to be able to test drive and sign on the dotted line if irs comfortable enough.

Really hoping that they succeed. At that price point and mileage. Because by this time next year ill be needing another dd.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit UltraDork
8/4/14 9:39 a.m.

I really hope they make it. I will get one for my commute and finally be able to get an Elise for the weekends. Fingers crossed.

singleslammer
singleslammer SuperDork
8/4/14 9:56 a.m.

http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/14/elio-motors-translogic-154/

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/4/14 10:03 a.m.

The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is driving it in snow. I can't call in in bad weather and even with snow tires I'm a little nervous about dragging the rear wheel through deep snow. Otherwise I'm sold.

If anyone from Elio is lurking about and would like a guinea pig to put about 160 miles a day on one on our lovely New York roads I'll take a gray one with shark teeth painted on the nose.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WkJuuDFKCRGwOaVfD8Rpq2rrQkuGQlNIZzhuMHHcMCRPZHlUgQPJHIxOCVJT8voz