1 2 3 4 5
dculberson
dculberson UberDork
8/4/14 11:21 a.m.
foxtrapper wrote: Also looks a bit like a Guild Navigator.

The 3-wheeled spice must flow!

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
8/4/14 11:51 a.m.
singleslammer wrote: http://www.autoblog.com/2014/07/14/elio-motors-translogic-154/

He almost had right up until he said "250,000" cars per year, which would put them at about 2/3 of the number of Accords Honda sells.

Um, no.

That's Trump-grade bullcrap there. If any part of their business plan hinges on actually selling more than about a tenth of that amount per year, this will never happen.

TAParker
TAParker Reader
8/4/14 1:09 p.m.

I used to get email updates from them fairly regularly.......haven't gotten one in a while.....I really do not forsee this coming to fruition...........

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/4/14 1:49 p.m.

Considering that the engine is still vaporware...

rcutclif
rcutclif Reader
8/4/14 2:10 p.m.

well, if elio might not make one, why don't we make a grassroots effort?

1. Front half of CRX
  2. Back half of any liter bike
  3. Profit???
yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
8/4/14 3:55 p.m.
Apexcarver wrote: Considering that the engine is still vaporware...

The whole damn thing is still vaporware including the factory......

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltraDork
8/4/14 4:01 p.m.

Yeah, not sure why he bothered saying 250k/year. That doesn't lend any credibility to anything else he said.

Why is that? Isn't it just a Metro motor with a newer head?

DrBoost
DrBoost UltimaDork
8/4/14 4:27 p.m.
Wally wrote: The only thing I'm a bit concerned about is driving it in snow. I can't call in in bad weather and even with snow tires I'm a little nervous about dragging the rear wheel through deep snow. Otherwise I'm sold. If anyone from Elio is lurking about and would like a guinea pig to put about 160 miles a day on one on our lovely New York roads I'll take a gray one with shark teeth painted on the nose.

I've mentioned that here quite a few times, hoping some Elio folks would fine their way here to answer that. They do mention on their site that it does great in the snow. But, like you, it's not front-wheel traction that concerns me. It's dragging that rear wheel through 4" of slush. I'm planning on doing a test drive in similar conditions.

pjbgravely
pjbgravely Reader
8/4/14 5:59 p.m.
TAParker wrote: I used to get email updates from them fairly regularly.......haven't gotten one in a while.....I really do not forsee this coming to fruition...........

I get them all the time, to the point of thinking maybe I should be getting off the list, check your spam folder.

As for snow driving, I doubt it will do well on un-plowed roads, I will be sticking to my Mustang for that job.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
8/4/14 6:10 p.m.
bigfoot21075 wrote: You can't add a fourth wheel, you will turn it into a car. Then it has to meet a whole bunch of difficult standards
Flight Service wrote: They are up the street here in Louisiana and there have been investigations. I am really excited about the prospect though. I hope it flies. In most states you will only have to have a trike/motorcycle license and I am curious what that means for helmet requirements. This also means that they do not have to meet crash test ratings. But they say that they will. If it does make it to production, I see a very fast after market for 4 wheel conversions

Which is why I said "after market"

mad_machine
mad_machine MegaDork
8/4/14 6:17 p.m.

If you have to have a three wheeler.. better to have two in the front and one in the back. More stable that way. Do it the other way and you reincarnate the Reliant Robin

Vracer111
Vracer111 New Reader
8/5/14 2:36 a.m.
mad_machine wrote: If you have to have a three wheeler.. better to have two in the front and one in the back. More stable that way. Do it the other way and you reincarnate the Reliant Robin

As long as you don't drive like Jeremy Clarkson you may be okay...

But seriously though, two wheels in the front and one in the back is the only way to do it right.

Elio is a nice concept, but not very optimistic about it coming out...

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/5/14 8:21 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Yeah, not sure why he bothered saying 250k/year. That doesn't lend any credibility to anything else he said.
Why is that? Isn't it just a Metro motor with a newer head?

You are mistaken. Their prototype used a geo metro drivetrain (down to the gauge cluster as someone noticed). Not like a 90's metro drivetrain is still in production.

This is what they are doing. http://gas2.org/2014/06/02/elio-motors-unveils-three-cylinder-engine-block/

But making a working motor is hurdle one,
Hurdle two is getting it through emissions (federal).
Hurdle three is making enough of them.

At this point, all I see is a lot of talk, a few computer files, and a tired prototype that someone on this forum probably could have built for $2k.

I admit, I am a pessimist, but this just seems like so much more sketch than others who never quite made it. There is a lot of hype, but I think most can agree that substance is lacking (at least at this point).

Apexcarver
Apexcarver PowerDork
8/5/14 8:23 a.m.

More expensive, but here and now.. I wonder what kind of MPG the Polaris Slingshot gets?

Driven5
Driven5 HalfDork
8/5/14 12:22 p.m.
Vracer111 wrote:
mad_machine wrote: If you have to have a three wheeler.. better to have two in the front and one in the back. More stable that way. Do it the other way and you reincarnate the Reliant Robin
As long as you don't drive like Jeremy Clarkson you may be okay... But seriously though, two wheels in the front and one in the back is the only way to do it right.

Properly designed and engineered, both layouts can work very well. Poorly designed and engineered, either can work rather badly.

In reply to Apexcarver:

Aside from the number of wheels, the 1st gen Insight is a far more competitive option to the Elio concept than the Polaris Slingshot is.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
8/5/14 12:49 p.m.

It's an exciting idea but I'm more than a little skeptical. According to one site they have 25,166 pre-orders already paid. Assuming $6,800 per car, that's $171,128,800. I would assume they could get some cars out with that much cash coming in.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/5/14 1:21 p.m.

If they are going to do this I hope they hurry along. Rumor has my depot being transferred to Brooklyn next year which is going to make my commute a bit longer.

etifosi
etifosi Reader
8/5/14 1:42 p.m.

So sorry to do this to the folks who've put money down on the Elio, but I am putting the e-kiss of death upon it by saying............I love it and want one.

Why does this doom Elio? I am a Cleveland Browns fan who loved the ALMS, Red Bull Cola, RWD body-on-frame V8 cars, Triumph tr7's, BetaMax, the McDLT, Edsels, manners, lawn darts, etc.

So, if I love it, it is doomed.

Sorry, e

bgkast
bgkast SuperDork
8/5/14 2:30 p.m.

In reply to etifosi:

This is why we can't have nice things!

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
8/5/14 3:25 p.m.

In reply to etifosi:

But all of those things were merely has beens........this is a never was.

racerdave600
racerdave600 Dork
8/5/14 4:00 p.m.

I like the concept and certainly would take a look at one when or if it comes out. To me, it'd be the perfect around town go to work car. JG, you need to ask if they have something to test for the magazine! It would be interesting if they give you the run around or actual information or test concept.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/5/14 5:52 p.m.

I think they are missing a great promotiional opportunity. Sing along with me "fat man in a little car..."

bluej
bluej SuperDork
8/5/14 6:36 p.m.

Ooo, there ya go. JG flies to NY to meet Wally w/ one and put it through the wringer.

Wally
Wally MegaDork
8/5/14 9:39 p.m.

I like it. I can't wait to start telling people how much I like my Elio.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
8/5/14 9:46 p.m.

"Hurdle two is getting it through emissions (federal). "

Just curious, but what are the emissions requirements for motorcycles these days?

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
hkZ53T6o94TEO3CGrha5Ffiv6n1PTaStGR7B1mzL8duoFj7sSTJF6bQBpF7dgwDZ