1 2 3 4
Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit HalfDork
3/4/13 7:24 p.m.

Might want to look at a Buell Blast. They have a 500CC engine and can reach 50MPG. I have had mine for over a year and have seen mid 40's (Fat boy on board), the riding potion is more up right and easy to handle due to the low weight. You should be able to pick one up a nice one for around $2K and I have seen runners in poor condition for less than $300.

Checkout Badweatherbikers.com and read the " Thumper" section. Lots of info on the blast in that section, yahoo groups has section called Ezblast and they are worth a read.

Good luck

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
3/4/13 10:32 p.m.

If you're a Dago, get an Italian bike. Ducati? Can get a used little Monster (600) for fairly short dollars.

Fuel economy will be 40ish MPG. Not a whole lot more than a fuel efficient car.

Teggsan
Teggsan Reader
3/4/13 10:35 p.m.

e.g. http://www.cycletrader.com/listing/2005-Ducati-Monster-620-108944015

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/5/13 6:22 a.m.

Made my decision. I'm standing a freakishly tall 5'7" and weighing in at a burly 125 as, next month, I move one year closer to the age of 30. I'm not getting much bigger, so comfort is a big issue which includes ability to hold up the bike.

What am I getting at? Went by the shop yesterday, had a nice guy help me out and straddle a few things as other employees were mounting and plowing things. I picked out my best fit, and hopefully Terry can give me an STD. Thats right. A super tremendous deal.

Getting to the point, my wife said, after we move, I can get it.

GSX-R750

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/5/13 8:24 a.m.

Ah, the GSX-R 750. Probably the most wadded up bike in history. Two wheels scare you and you're thinking about this?Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Did you try the new Ninjas 300? At 125 lbs. that mother will move with you on it.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
3/5/13 8:33 a.m.

Ninja 250R Honda 599 CBR600 SV650

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/5/13 8:34 a.m.

In reply to Appleseed:

I'll get used to two wheels. The GSX-R series has a select function that will cut power down by 60%. Thats what got me moving towards it.

Please, don't worry about insulting me. Tell me what you think. You aren't going to hurt my feelings. I can always look at more bikes, but it'll be hard to get me off the 750. I learned to ride on a 2 stroke 100cc Yamaha.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
3/5/13 8:49 a.m.

OK, so you're not a total novice. That's better. I still say the 750 is a quick way to scare the E36 M3 out of yourself, especially on the street. Honda has some new CB/CBR500s coming out as well. I seriously recommend giving them and the Ninja look.

I'm biased toward small bikes. I ride a CM200T with about 12 hp. I'm 170 lbs. It'd be nice to have more power, but I don't need it. Hell, even if you bought an old Ninja 250, and got used to street riding, you can sell it next Spring for exactly what you bought it for. Seriously.

alex
alex UltraDork
3/5/13 9:12 a.m.

The GSX-R750 has the performance capability greater than many supercars, acres of plastic to break when (not if) you drop it, insurance is going to be relatively expensive, and it's a magnet for squids, thieves and cops. It's a sharp, nearly-no-compromise performance machine that will not suffer fools gladly. It's a lot of bike for a new rider to deal with while simultaneously rewiring your brain with a new set of survival skills.

By virtue of your age and brain development you have a head start beyond most 20 year-old squids with underdeveloped frontal lobes who chuck these things down the street in view of the dealership with the ink still wet on the loan papers. You'll ultimately have to trust your own judgment about whether your skill level is compatible with this machine, and I urge you to take the decision very seriously - it's your life.

That said, it's a great bike, and one that's woefully overshadowed by its liter-class peers.

(I don't mean to E36 M3 in your Wheaties here, but I've been riding for nearly 15 years without a significant off - including track days, urban commuting and road trips - worked in the motorcycle industry for 5 years, ridden hundreds of two- and three-wheeled conveyances from single-digit-hp Enfields to 200+ hp Ducatis, $200 beaters to $75,000 vintage MV Agustas, and I feel I have a bit of experience to offer.)

If you're so inclined, stop by the shop I used to work for, Motorrad of St. Louis in Dogtown/Cheltenham. I think you and my boss George will get along well. He usually has a couple used sportbikes and other interesting stuff for sale if you'd like to look at some more bikes.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
3/5/13 9:22 a.m.

Yeah, price some options with your insurance agent before buying, you might be very surprised how expensive a bike like a Gixxer is to keep insured. Also the company you're quoting with can make a big difference; my VFR is a "sport touring" bike with State Farm and I pay something like $240 a year with $500 deductible comprehensive. I think Progressive wanted $600.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey SuperDork
3/5/13 9:47 a.m.

Jesus, I didn't think the answer would end up being a 3/4 liter crotch rocket.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
3/5/13 11:21 a.m.

750 . . . Holy snikes . . .

I would echo others regarding the 500cc machines. Especially considering the cheap buy-in and sell later for same price paid . . . .

Having said that, I bought a VFR800 because it was cheap (think low 250cc price). Even with a few years of riding dirt bikes when I was young, this thing terrified me. The phrase respect the throttle is strong whenever I throw a leg over this beast.

I've had it for almost 4 years and about 10k miles with 2 drops, 4 head shakes, 2 130 temp on bike days, 10 20 temp on bike days and lot of hair-raising and fun rides. If I didn't find the VFR for so cheap, I would've had just as much fun on a 250 or 500 I test rode before I bought the VFR.

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
3/5/13 11:47 a.m.

I have a 250 next to my 1000 in the shop, I ride the twofiddy just as much and have a ball. I do not recommend a Gixxer 750, But I also don't know you. I know very few people who can handle a 750 super sport

Morbid
Morbid Reader
3/5/13 12:07 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: Jesus, I didn't think the answer would end up being a 3/4 liter crotch rocket.

This. Even with the power-limiting function, that's still a lot of bike, and the chances of it drawing idiots toward you are HIGH (both on the road and off).

Set a budget and browse Craigslist for motorcycles within that budget. Don't get something new and don't make payments, because it is your first bike, and you will drop it several times. It's just the way it works.

I keep going back and forth on parting with my XS400 that averages about 65mpg. 400ccs doesn't sound like much, but I assure you, it's plenty for typical conditions.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH UltimaDork
3/5/13 12:17 p.m.

The rule with first bikes is to not exceed 600cc. You really should look at a used Ninja 250 or something like that. The 750 with the power-killer enabled will be less of a handful, but for someone who said that two wheels are scary, you're kind of asking for it, and if you drop this thing (and you almost certainly will at some point) there are a ton of doodads to break and you'll feel terrible about it.

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
3/5/13 12:34 p.m.

If he takes the MSF and feels comfortable, I wouldn't hesitate to recommend an SV650, but in general I agree that 600cc is the top that I'd suggest.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
3/5/13 12:55 p.m.

I would almost dare to say, IMO the SV650 is like the miata of bikes.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
3/5/13 12:58 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

Wouldn't be the first time I'd heard it.

Of course, an SV650 is a lot closer to GSXR-fast than a Miata is to, say, a Corvette...

pres589
pres589 SuperDork
3/5/13 12:59 p.m.

In reply to Strike_Zero:

I agree in that I've been told that I am too tall, at 6'5", to comfortably spend time with an SV650 or an MX-5.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
3/5/13 1:07 p.m.
alex wrote: I urge you to take the decision very seriously - it's your life.

This. If you want a sportbike, get a 600. That will still be plenty fast...and easy to get in over your head. A 750 Gixxer is a serious machine and is a front row ticket to your first rodeo.

The fellas that said look at an SV650 are giving good advice.

A Buell XB9 would be another nice choice if you want something with sporting character, but not outrageous power-to-weight...

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
3/5/13 1:09 p.m.

One of my friends has SV650. He took the VFR out and came back white as sheet . . . Mumbled something about turbine like power anywhere in the rpm band.

He took the on-ramp at around 50, looked over his shoulder to check traffic, rolled into it and was running 120. . . He said it was the same way he takes that on his SV, except it does have the power delivery of the VFR.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/5/13 1:37 p.m.

You're putting the cart before the horse. Learn to ride before going out and buying a new bike.

I'll set aside the "too much bike" argument...

You know what the bike is like to sit on, you do not know what it is like to ride. You don't know what it is like to ride above 60mph for any length of time. The sensations and muscles pressure used will change a lot when the wind is hitting you at speed. The fairings and windshield on the bike will also effect a lot of where that wind is hitting you. It might sail nicely over your head. (Haha! No it won't. This is a sport bike.) Or it might buffet you about the head or splash across your shoulders.

You need to spend time riding to know what is and is not comfortable for you at speed for an extended period of time. You need to have enough time riding to know what it is that you really want in your bike.

I would not go out and buy a brand new bike for my first one. Get used. Even if you take a hit when you sell it later, you know the second bike you get is what you really want. If you buy a brand new bike and discover it isn't the right fit... you're going to take a really big hit.

And as mentioned, you will drop your bike. It probably won't be too bad. My first day out, I dropped it on my foot in my gravel driveway just standing next to it. Just that little dump will not do good things for all the nice, brand new, and expensive plastic.

Buy something used that you won't feel like an idiot when you decide it isn't the perfect fit in 3 months and without all the nice plastic to damage.

Spinout007
Spinout007 SuperDork
3/5/13 1:43 p.m.

I've owned a 900RR, ridden a turbocharged ZX11 with a big bore kit, a Hyabusa, several liter class machines, the "hooligan" gsxr 750 and as I said prior, as much as I would love to get back into a litre class bike. My brain just won't let me. My old mans Goldwing is a dream to ride, and it's power delivery is nowhere near as explosive as sportbike power delivery. Don't believe me? Fire up a modern crotch rocket and blip the throttle, @ 125lbs it's not going to rev much differently with you on it in gear. Last Zx9 I got on had no trouble carrying the front wheel till I brought it down, and it was a 98ish model. They've only gotten faster and more powerful. Oh and I weigh in around 250lbs and have been riding for almost 20 years, and been down a few times. Low sides suck when there is a tree stopping you. Buddy of mine from highschool had a ZX7 big ass dog came running out behind him and chasing him down the road, when he cracked the throttle to get some distance from it, he failed to notice the gravel in the road from a driveway, bike spun the rear tire right out from under him. Luckily it was a nice dog that liked to chase things.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/5/13 2:05 p.m.

I'd second the guys here who are recommending a used bike. Motorcycles are sort of like guitars----- romantic to think about learning, but in reality they aren't for everyone. It would be a shame to see you take a financial hit on a bike, it you decide riding isn't your cup of tea.

Also, bikes depreciate like stones. Finding a decent bike for under $3,500 is super easy, and a good way not to lose $$ in the long run.

Personally I love the Japanese "standards" of the 70s and 80s. Most bikes (especially up North) see very limited use, so buying an older bike that has been taken care of is as easy as a Craigslist search. Buying say.....an old CB 350, or a KZ 550, or even a "sportier" bike like my 1985 Interceptor 500 will get you tons of fun, while you learn what you REALLY want. (by the way, the Interceptor is far from slow-- 12.4 1/4, and about 125 top speed)

I would also recommend you skip the GSX-R. This is way too much bike for a beginning rider, power cut-off or not. The problem isn't the bike, it is you. How much control do you have over your adrenal glands? How good is your judgement? A bike that fast will goad you into potentially deadly mistakes with little or no room for recovery. You'll feel invincible on it........until you aren't. This span can take a quarter of a second. On a "slower" bike, you have more time to keep yourself in check.

and yes, the rider course is a great idea. KZ 650

My VF500F Interceptor

J308
J308 Reader
3/5/13 2:42 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Ah, the GSX-R 750. Probably the most wadded up bike in history. Two wheels scare you and you're thinking about this?Not to be a Debbie Downer, but I'm not sure that's a good idea. Did you try the new Ninjas 300? At 125 lbs. that mother will move with you on it.

Ah... I see you've forgotten about the unwieldy 900RR.

As squirrely as those old SKRADs [sic] could be, they had nothing on the tank slappers possible with a 16" front and a 17" rear.

Personally, I think the end-all-be-all sportbike is the 00-01 929RR, with a steering damper. Upright seating, great wind protection, all day comfort, enough power to wheelie far, far faster than it should. Amazing brake feel, a little trunk, a killer red/white/black scheme but I wish you luck finding one.

Full disclosure, this is me. Save the squid talk, out of sight are closed roads.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
dPRTfVSDgXY9Yz4Aqbvx96uyETvqoUprQFXiQbd2OU4iGj5vBIRBIwvlvB6Wae8I