1 2 3 4 5
Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/5/13 2:59 p.m.

For the record, I'm in a very similar situation to you: 31, just started riding about a month ago. I was very fortunate that my dad handed me down his Ninja 250 he bought about a year ago to re-learn on after decades of not riding.

Now the fiancee is interested in riding with me, so this has me looking at bikes to step up to and I will be getting enough inheritance for money to not be a big hurdle. After taking the MSF riding course and getting as much practice as I can for a couple months, my likely candidates for a bike to graduate up to would be Suzuki SV650, Triumph Street Triple 675, or Triumph Tiger 800 (larger displacement, but adventure bike so not the manic power delivery of a sport). All these have a lot less performance and a lot fewer pretty bits to get damaged than that GSX-R. Heck, the Tiger is designed to handle falling over repeatedly.

Even still, I might decide to spend more time building skill on the Ninja, and just buy another 250 for her (maybe a Honda Rebel, since she likes cruiser styles).

Before buying a newer bike, I plan to go down to a couple dealers and spend most of a day actually riding a variety of bikes to decide what I like best. I figure at least a 30 minutes ride on any bike I'm seriously considering.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
3/5/13 3:48 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: So, 2 wheels scare me, but I'm thinking about getting a bike to save on fuel.
N Sperlo wrote: GSX-R750

I LOL'd.

I think my truck gets better fuel economy than a GSXR 750, and with only 40 years riding experience, I wouldn't buy one of those.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/5/13 4:13 p.m.

In reply to Zomby Woof:

Better than 50 mpg?

I didn't explain myself well enough. Let me correct what I said. When I'm on two wheels, other drivers scare me.

Moving on...

Clem Sparks has seen me on a bike. The engine was 1/7 the size, though. I believe I understated my experience. I've been riding for a year, but not often. Super small engine, and I've dropped it, gotten used to riding on gravel and wet grass as well as gone at crawling speeds through the woods. I don't take it out often because the fuel mileage the truck gets. Its my mother-in-laws.

I'm getting two completely different suggestions. The GRM crowd is my main source for advice, but I went all over the place on this one. I left the shop wanting a GSX-r 600, but a friend who has been riding a while suggested a larger engine because I would want the power. I started looking at the 750 and saw the dealer had them for $500.00 more. Thinking about the power control, I thought it may be a god idea.

We see the results I get from here. Alex has a good idea of my driving style. I'm no adrenaline junkie who will be trying to put the front up in the air and do 120 down the highway. I'm just as serious about safety as everyone on this board, so don't think I'm not taking your suggestions very seriously and continuing research. I have plenty of time to change my mind.

When asking more local friends who know me and my street driving style and are local bike club members, they made the same suggestion. They had a 600 sport and moved up to a 1200 (or something close) cruiser because they wanted more power.

Still juggling the thought around and I'll keep researching your suggestions. Alex, your suggestion of the local shop you used to work at may be my next stop, but I think the class will come first, so I can get my license. Going to check with the DMV and get my permit now...

Keep the suggestions coming and thanks for worrying about my safety.

The bike I've been learning on is to the right of my Cadavalier:

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/5/13 4:22 p.m.

In reply to N Sperlo:

Like I said, my biggest issue would just be buying brand new for a first street bike. That's going to hurt a lot if you discover that you actually want a bike that does something different. Plus, wind at speed will change a lot of how it feels for you.

Now, it may well be that the GSX750 is precisely what you want. But how much time and money would you really lose to buy a $2-3k Ninja or something and ride that for a couple months to see if you like that style?

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
3/5/13 4:32 p.m.

You won't get 50 MPG on a GSXR 750

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/5/13 4:44 p.m.
Beer Baron wrote: In reply to N Sperlo: Like I said, my biggest issue would just be buying brand new for a first street bike. That's going to hurt a lot if you discover that you actually want a bike that does something different. Plus, wind at speed will change a lot of how it feels for you. Now, it may well be that the GSX750 is precisely what you want. But how much time and money would you really lose to buy a $2-3k Ninja or something and ride that for a couple months to see if you like that style?

You gots some good ideas here. The wind speed could really be a factor. The fastest I've gone on a bike is 40 mph. I'll search around the shops. I'm not too keen on buying a sport bike on CG around here after seeing what the gangs do to them.

Zomby, I just checked some reviews and got the fuel mileage from that, so I have no clue how accurate it is. I know it'll get better mileage than any of my trucks. Your truck isn't really a factor in my eyes.

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
3/5/13 4:52 p.m.

What Beer Baron said. . . Not to mention breaking the grossly expense plastic when you drop it.

I don't understand the power thing . . . Want more or "growing" with. To me that's like saying, I just got my license and I'll buy this 600 hp Corvette and only use 200 hp . . . Once I'm comfortable, I'll use more than a 1/3 throttle . . . I call BS.

Once you find that fast 500cc bike "slow", then buy something faster. 50-75 hp on a sub 500lb two wheel machine is a berkeleying rocket.

I thought about selling the VFR for a B-King (think stripped 'Busa tuned for low end to mid range punch). I don't even use half of the available power the VFR produces and want to get bike that has nearly double? Light bulb moment . . .

If I had to do it all again (and didn't find a cheap VFR), I would rock the socks of off a SV650 or 500 machine.

I still would like to try out new style Ninja 250 or the 300. All the flash with sensible, non zip and area code hopping speed.

IMHO

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
3/5/13 4:57 p.m.

Guys who like riding will never steer someone else away from riding. Even my grandfather who has been riding for 40 years tried to talk me out of owning a bike, but alas, just ended up with "don't buy a crotch rocket. They'll kill you quicker than a cruiser!"

A motorcycle is a toy. It's a toy that will easily kill you. It's a toy that will take your money. It's a toy that your parents and loved ones will worry about you while your on, and its a toy that you'll worry about yourself while your on.

Not saying they aren't a big bundle of fun, but you can have fun in so many more ways for $6,000 and not be as vulnerable.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/5/13 5:05 p.m.

I'm seeing some suggestions of 650s or 500s, but no one has said, "Why don't you just go with a GSX-r600?" Any reason no one suggests that? That was my original selection until a friend suggested the bigger engine. I really like the feel of that, but I'll run by the shop later and check out the feel of the other bikes.

So far on the list are SVxxx, some Ninjas and Zomby's truck.

Pheller, you know I'm no dummy. I've seen my fare share of bike wrecks, but I'm not a cruiser guy. Is that what you're suggesting I check out? I'm kind of confused by your post.

oldopelguy
oldopelguy Dork
3/5/13 5:05 p.m.

How about a GSX750-F (AKA the Katana)? Most of the fun of a GSXR, but not as expensive, better fuel economy, and perhaps less likely to leave you splatted on the road somewhere.

Mine's been sitting in storage for the last 3 years, with the exception of a couple of weeks last summer. I'd give you a decent deal, and you could pick up a new bed for the Ranger at the same time...

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 Reader
3/5/13 5:06 p.m.

My 250 avgs 58 mpgs with me beating the E36 M3 out of it, my 1k gets low 30s under the same circumstances. theres no such thing as too much power, if there is then i haven't experienced it.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/5/13 5:09 p.m.

Opel, I may talk to you about that bike, but I'm in the process of designing a custom bed lol.

BeerBaron, I just noticed the suggestion of a triumph. I like those bikes, but the shop didn't have any for me to check out. I may have to eyeball some.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/5/13 5:43 p.m.

OK. I see the average fuel economy on a 750 is around 30-35 mpg. The 600 is 40-45. On that alone, I would drop plans on the 750. I haven't heard any suggestions for the 600. Is it because its new and I might not like it? The plastics? You just don't like them? Zomby's truck? What gives?

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero Dork
3/5/13 5:56 p.m.

Think about it like this

• SV650 = V-Twin
  • 250 and 500 = parallel twin
  • 600 supersport = inline4
  • 650f et. al = inline4 tuned for low and mid range

You almost can't go by displacement (insurance does) and you have to factor weight, tune and power delivery.

My VFR800 makes a supposed 100whp and 50wtqs carrying 530lbs of bike. It makes power nearly anywhere in the rpm band, but it makes most of its grunt in low to mid range (4-9k) I short shift at 6k on hwy and 3k in city.

ransom
ransom UltraDork
3/5/13 6:24 p.m.

Early SV650 weighs about 420 lbs wet. Makes about 65 horsepower. With 150 pounds of Sperlo and gear on board, that's about 570 lbs.

8.76 lb/hp

A 3000 lb car would need over 340hp to match that.

I find it amusing that anybody thinks anyone's going to promptly outgrow that on the street, like that's going to be yawner or you're going to be sweating onramps... I think the most compelling thing about some of the larger bikes is the idea of being able to having all the power I want on tap anywhere on the tach.

For now, I don't even have to flog my EX500 that hard to have enough thrust to be amusing, and I weigh over 190. it cost me $1500.

My two cents, which I've already given fragments of. I am far from the voice of authority, and don't have a bazillion miles of experience on a bunch of different bikes. So... grain of salt and all. I also don't know what your roads are like, where you'll ride, how you'll ride...

alex
alex UltraDork
3/5/13 7:48 p.m.

No offense Sperlo, but any friend who's telling a new rider to step up from a modern 600 supersport that makes well over 100hp because you'll outgrow it is giving you bad advice.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo UltimaDork
3/5/13 8:19 p.m.

Ransom, that's probably some of the best backed up and straight forward information anyone has given me.

Alex. I don't know why you keep thinking you're offending me lol.

Flight Service
Flight Service PowerDork
3/5/13 8:25 p.m.

CBR250, Ninja 250, SV650 and S(if you want the full fairing)

If I was buying used I would get a VTR250, Ninja 250,SV650, SV650S, ES550S, or a GS500.

but since the prevailing thought is to buy something that wants to kill you a GSXR1000R will do that before you get out of the parking lot.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
3/5/13 8:25 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote:
N Sperlo wrote: So, what does the collective think a 125 lb Dago would look/do good on?
Naturally

If you really want to save gas, and really weight 125lbs, this actually a great suggestion. There are lots of. 150cc scooters

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
3/5/13 8:40 p.m.
N Sperlo wrote: I'm seeing some suggestions of 650s or 500s, but no one has said, "Why don't you just go with a GSX-r600?" Any reason no one suggests that? That was my original selection until a friend suggested the bigger engine. I really like the feel of that, but I'll run by the shop later and check out the feel of the other bikes.

I said that if you're set on a sport bike, get a 600. I did not specifically say get a Gixxer...the fact is that all of the major players make 600s that are world-class bikes. Find the one that fits/feels best...

I also said to give some thought to the XB9. Torque is fun on a bike that rides in the real world (streets). Handling and brakes are as good or better than anything made.

Beer Baron
Beer Baron PowerDork
3/5/13 9:06 p.m.

A lot of 600s are more serious sport bikes than the 650s being suggested. If a 650 were a Mustang Gt, a 600 would be a 350z, RX8, or S2000. Lower displacement but not lower performance.

Wind is definitely different above 50. I also find the forward sport configuration tiring after a bit, particularly when trying to ride sedately around town. Not so much tiring as limiting to stretch my joints out. On my ninja I cant sit up strait without taking all the bend out of my arms.

FSP_ZX2
FSP_ZX2 Dork
3/5/13 9:19 p.m.
chaparral
chaparral HalfDork
3/5/13 9:33 p.m.

EX250s are free. Buy it for $1500, put $250 worth of new tires and $50 in tune-up parts into it, ride it for a few months, and sell it for $1800.

PHeller
PHeller UltraDork
3/5/13 9:59 p.m.

I wasn't telling you to buy a cruiser, but if you want a bike, buy a bike, and if your doubting owning a motorcycle, don't buy a motorcycle.

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
3/5/13 10:10 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: Naturally
If you really want to save gas, and really weight 125lbs, this actually a great suggestion. There are lots of. 150cc scooters

I make nothing but great suggestions.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jLRuX68HQ9DsiEXtHeHucz0F2hB1qW3v5lUXMJlN8UjAdhOfuZnpLmIipzsYasVl