1 2 3
SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 1:34 p.m.

So...

Over the weekend, I picked up a Shelby Dodge CSX from another GRM member. He advertised it up here in the classifieds, and I couldn't pass it up for the price of FREE!!! I did buy some parts from him for $100, including some interior stuff, new front rotors, a set of used calipers, a new e-brake cable, spare injectors, a broken fuel rail (apparently they are hard to find) and a new upgraded clutch kit. Not a bad deal if you ask me.

I know a litte about the history of these cars, but I've never known anyone with one or been able to play around with one before. The initial goal will be to get it running again and fix the rust, which is pretty much only in the floor pan and spare tire well. I also don't what number car it is because the dash plaque is missing. According to the door jamb, it was built in 7/87, so it has to be one of the very last ones, or even a 1988 model. Is there any way to find out without the plaque?

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/12/10 2:31 p.m.

Pics or it didn't happen.

spritedriver28
spritedriver28 New Reader
7/12/10 2:34 p.m.

I think you can call Shelby NA and with the vin they should be able to give you the car #

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 2:38 p.m.

I tried to load pics, but they didn't come out. I'll try again:

And my favorite pic...

Asylum67
Asylum67 New Reader
7/12/10 2:45 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

Give the Shelby Registry a try you should be able to get the info you need there.

http://www.shelbyregistry.com/

I have a 1987 GLHS Charger #132 and I have found the forum at Turbo Dodge to be a great resource.

http://www.turbododge.com/

Good luck with it. They are great fun but be warned you will spend plenty of time trying to explain to people what it is.

81gtv6
81gtv6 HalfDork
7/12/10 2:53 p.m.

Is that the one with the VNT on it? I fit is I rememer reading review about it when they were new and the mags saying it ws very close to an M3 performance wise. Very cool.

mndsm
mndsm HalfDork
7/12/10 2:55 p.m.

Glad that someone scooped this up instead of letting it get crushed.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 2:58 p.m.
Asylum67 wrote: In reply to SilverFleet: Give the Shelby Registry a try you should be able to get the info you need there. http://www.shelbyregistry.com/ I have a 1987 GLHS Charger #132 and I have found the forum at Turbo Dodge to be a great resource. http://www.turbododge.com/ Good luck with it. They are great fun but be warned you will spend plenty of time trying to explain to people what it is.

I'll give that Shelby site a try later! I also joined up at TurboDodge.com a little while ago. My name on there is TurboTony. And as far as explaining what it is...

I got home from getting it, and my two nephews were over my house. They are aged 12 and 8, and are into cars, thanks to me. So I tell them that I got a new car. Conversation goes like this:

Me: I got a new car!

Them: What is it uncle?

Me: A Shelby!

Them (jaws dropped and bug-eyed); A SHELBY!?!?!? NO WAY!!!!!

Me: Yep! Wanna see some pics?

Them: umm... YEAH!!!

(I show them the pictures...)

Them: That's not a Shelby? What is that? It looks like like a Grandma car!

Me: Lets sit down for a history lesson, shall we?

(about 15 minutes of history later...)

Them: Awesome, so it looks like a Grandma car but will go really fast?

Me: Yes, now you understand!

Them: AWESOME!!!!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 3:01 p.m.
81gtv6 wrote: Is that the one with the VNT on it? I fit is I rememer reading review about it when they were new and the mags saying it ws very close to an M3 performance wise. Very cool.

Unfortunately, no. The VNT cars came out in 1989, and are very cool. This has a Turbo I motor converted to Turbo II specs by Shelby, in-house. It's supposed to have bigger injectors and a stage II ecu upgrade, but I'm not sure what turbo is in there right now.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
7/12/10 3:11 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Is there any way to find out without the plaque?

There there a plaque under the hood attached to the radiator core support? If so it will have the engine number on it.

I know there's a way to determine the series number from the engine number on the Shelby Dakotas using a formula. Don't know if it's the same for the other models. The guys at Turbo Dodge should know.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 3:16 p.m.
Rob_Mopar wrote:
SilverFleet wrote: Is there any way to find out without the plaque?
There there a plaque under the hood attached to the radiator core support? If so it will have the engine number on it. I know there's a way to determine the series number from the engine number on the Shelby Dakotas using a formula. Don't know if it's the same for the other models. The guys at Turbo Dodge should know.

I noticed those body tags on the core support. It's funny, there's 2 or maybe even 3 of them all screwed on there with Philips head screws! I figured that someone might have done this to make a clone, but then I realized that the cars were converted at Shelby, so they may have done this. Here's a pic from the old owner of them:

I'll get a better pic the next time I'm where the car is.

mrwillie
mrwillie Reader
7/12/10 3:23 p.m.

In reply to SilverFleet:

A little charcoal rubbed over a piece of paper may give you a readable copy of this. Your mileage may vary....

Cotton
Cotton HalfDork
7/12/10 3:24 p.m.

awesome and can't beat the price!

Appleseed
Appleseed SuperDork
7/12/10 4:00 p.m.

Donut tire for low rolling resistance.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 4:01 p.m.
Appleseed wrote: Donut tire for low rolling resistance.

The other wheel is in the trunk.

hobiercr
hobiercr Reader
7/12/10 4:15 p.m.

Damn that is a great score, and I thought I did good...

Your car looks MUCH nicer in both the paint and the interior departments. The FL sun has not been nice to the GLHS. Can't wait to see your progress with the car. Get her running and lets duke it out at the Challenge! Your go to budget is a little bigger than mine so I should be worried.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 4:21 p.m.

It's not coming down this year, but I'll gladly accept your challenge! I have no clue what's in store yet beyond getting it running and fixing some rust holes. It's the first new project car I've gotten since 2004, so I'm very excited! These turbo Dodges are so damn cool!

Blitzed306
Blitzed306 New Reader
7/12/10 4:53 p.m.

Very Awesome! can wait to see you get it running

MAsshole
MAsshole None
7/12/10 4:55 p.m.

Again, curse you. I'll have me a turbo Dodge soon enough.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 5:07 p.m.
Mshiny happy person wrote: Again, curse you. I'll have me a turbo Dodge soon enough.

You should have stayed late at work that day.

Somebody buy this poor guy's Buick Regal GSE so he can participate in Turbo Dodge fun time!

Glad to see you finally on here!!!

forzav12
forzav12 Reader
7/12/10 5:41 p.m.

Great score! Interestingly, a CSX(former museum car) like yours sold at auction this year for over 20K. Contact the admin(Shelbymotorsports) at Team Shelby, he is a great resource for validating the car. Also, as stated in the other post be sure and check out the Turbo-Mopar forums. Great group of guys and gals.

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 5:53 p.m.

Yeah, I have to go and get the VIN from where the car is, and as soon as I do that, I'm sending it over to those guys for verification. I'm positive it's a real one, it's got all the right parts on it. I'm just curious which one it is. The former owner thought it was #125, but being that it was built in July of '87 (if that door tag is correct) it must be later than that.

Rob_Mopar
Rob_Mopar Reader
7/12/10 6:08 p.m.
SilverFleet wrote: I noticed those body tags on the core support. It's funny, there's 2 or maybe even 3 of them all screwed on there with Philips head screws! I figured that someone might have done this to make a clone, but then I realized that the cars were converted at Shelby, so they may have done this. Here's a pic from the old owner of them: I'll get a better pic the next time I'm where the car is.

On my Shelby Dakota there's a silver tag on the passenger side of the core support. It has the CS track logo and the Shelby info with the engine serial number.

turboswede
turboswede SuperDork
7/12/10 6:11 p.m.

Silver,

All of the CSX's were Black on silver and only made in 87.

in 88, the CSX-T's were white on silver and only made in 88.

in 89 the CSX-VNT were all red and only made in 89.

the 90 CSX was going to be blue and feature a DOHC 16-valve turbo motor (pre-production Spirit R/T/IROC R/T pieces) and driver adjustable suspension.

Looks like repainting the bottom half silver and adding some decals from Dave Salamone at Positive Impressions should get you very close to a proper 87 CSX (or he can cut vinyl in any style you'd like, he did Shelby stripes in Wood for the Mini-Me guys for the first or second Challenge).

There's a place in Texas that does steering wheel upholstery for the LeCarra style wheel that came in these cars. In the meantime, they use an old larger bolt pattern Momo/LeCarra steering wheel so you can swap the wheel out and wait for the proper one to be repaired with an adapter ring or an older wheel. I've seen LeCarra knock-offs on eBay for cheap. There have been some that stripped the black paint off their wheels and polished the aluminum, which I think could look pretty good.

Oh and polish up the wheels to a mirror finish and represent the 80's in style!

The T1 bottom end is plenty strong once the lightweight rods are tossed for the forged units that came on the 87 Daytona Shelby's (one of the reasons Shelby eventually left Dodge was this sort of BS where his cars went first then Dodge came out with a similar product with better parts) The cast crank is good to upwards of 300hp before the block starts to let things down. 4-bolt mains or a later model (89+) block helps reduce the block flex.

The main improvement on the 87 and later HD turbo blocks was the cross drilled coolant passages between the middle cylinders on both the block and the head. This lowers the temp at the HG by about 70 degrees and improves longevity. Not exactly critical, but if you have a choice, this is the direction I'd go in. After 1989, all of the engine blocks and heads were supposed to be cross-drilled, many weren't as it was a running change.

Transaxle's aren't bad and are essentially the same as 1st-gen Neon's internally. later A523/568's are nice if you can find them, but the 520 with good oil and a fresh rebuild, a bearing retainer plate and a limited slip will work pretty well. Spirit R/T clutch kits work to upwards of 280hp, but depending on the transmission you use may need a different clutch disc.

Automatics suck on the freeway or around town, but they are a ton of fun on the AutoX and at the strip. The ability to build boost on the line with an automatic is damned handy for getting out of the hole and the ability to build boost before you exit a corner while left-foot braking is much easier in an automatic. The trade-off being that the the automatic requires a good amount of power to run and weighs quite a bit.

Core supports on the P-body's were notorious for failing at the spot welds at the forward frame rails. Break out the grinder and the welder to fix this and the panels that support the strut towers along with the firewall. I had a CSX-T IMSA SS car that eventually cracked the firewall before I got it third-hand. Another IMSA road racer fixed this early on with his race car by installing a second firewall skin.

Later model cars had slightly better suspension geometry and some had 11" brakes, cheap and easy upgrade to do. If you have a friend that is good at machine work, a set of balljoint extenders can help correct geometry issues after lowering the car. Cheap coil-over sleeves aren't a problem and as I discovered the other day, the struts on a 924 are nearly the same as Shelby-Dodge as I used the Advance Design struts my Uncle used on his car on my 924 after adapting the 924 top hat to the strut (not surprising, the 924 and 944 use mostly Mk1 Rabbit front suspension).

Rear suspension is standard beam axle. Rebuild the panhard rod to be stronger and adjustable, then add a 2"x36"x1/4" steel plate to the bottom of the axle to stiffen it up. Use HD muffler clamps to hold it in place and to make it adjustable (you can add/remove clamps or change their position) If you're really skilled, you can make the panhard rod/track bar mount adjustable and install weight jackers/adjustable spring seats on the rear.

Welcome to the wide wonderful world of Shelby-Dodge!

SilverFleet
SilverFleet Reader
7/12/10 6:12 p.m.

In reply to Rob_Mopar:

There's a Shelby American federal emissions sticker on the car. Maybe the info I'm looking for could be on there.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
OgmhMcsRTaFCJ8IJewwUbPJnDEr4FIMAyp7qIhSIiWPq0WWjaFERpSthW98ODfeo