redstack
redstack New Reader
11/27/10 12:39 a.m.

My home town, but I'm not there right now to see what's up with this guy..

http://pensacola.craigslist.org/cto/2081228091.html

smog7
smog7 Dork
11/27/10 1:10 a.m.

holy E36 M3. buy it now!

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing HalfDork
11/27/10 4:53 a.m.

Wow, that has to be one abused little car. Still, I'd buy it, fix it, and drive it for a bit before flipping it.

LainfordExpress
LainfordExpress New Reader
11/27/10 5:06 a.m.

Am I the only one that was a little worried that you were gonna ask me to, as the Ahnold would say, " erase" somebody?

dsycks
dsycks New Reader
11/27/10 5:22 a.m.

Those cars are nearly indestructible. You can taco up a few bits but unless the guy opened the hood and took a jack hammer to stuff its worth twice that in parts.

Don49
Don49 Reader
11/27/10 5:27 a.m.

Does anyone else think a slave cylinder would probably fix this right up?

unevolved
unevolved HalfDork
11/27/10 10:17 a.m.

If I was closer... Damn. Those cars have always been a sort of guilty pleasure.

RoadWarrior
RoadWarrior Reader
11/27/10 11:27 a.m.

Anyone local to this to check it out? At that price I'd buy it and ship it to the NE if it isn't totally borked.

ValuePack
ValuePack HalfDork
11/27/10 11:45 a.m.
Don49 wrote: Does anyone else think a slave cylinder would probably fix this right up?

That was my thinking, I'd start there.

Is the clutch slave buried in the bellhousing in these, like so many other Mitsu products, or are they a more traditional external design?

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
11/27/10 3:42 p.m.

I'd bet it's more complicated than a slave cylinder, but no more than a clutch job. A guy mis-shifted his ms3 into 2nd on the highway and bent all the metal pieces that aligns the pressure plate over the disk. It would still run, but made a helluva racket and the pedal was pulsing Iirc.

wbjones
wbjones Dork
11/27/10 6:27 p.m.

I suspect that is a scam. The photo is of an MR model, and he doesn't even mention that fact, which does influence the price. Also, it sounds like his clutch isn't disengaging, which most mechanics could tell him doesn't mean you need a new transmission. The "Rough" price at Edmunds.com is twice what he's asking.

I wish it were true. And that I had a truck, trailer, and garage.

redstack
redstack New Reader
11/28/10 4:53 p.m.

Well I posted this on my SCCA group site, we'll see if any locals call on it and find out what's up. FWIW the pics are not Pcola but then again cars do move..

redstack
redstack New Reader
12/7/10 12:16 a.m.

OK so here's what one of the guys in town said.

Well I finally got someone on the phone about this car. come to find out its in police custody and not for sale. Supposedly the police had some inside tips that the car was a drug runner. so they posted that ad with pictures hoping to locate the car from callers replying to the ad. and i guess it worked. at least thats what the guy on the phone told me, and there was a lot of radio chatter in the back, he could have just had a police scanner. either way, whatever, I knew it smelled funky but was worth a phone call. seems like a crappy way to do police business. its misleading advertisement , would that still be something to report to craiglist as scam/spam?"

I think that's a riot that the cops would try to round up the guy by selling his car on CL.. Wonder about the reasoning behind that one.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
12/7/10 1:15 a.m.

If its not for sale or not legal, its a scam.

But its not as bad of a scam as cops pretending to be horny 13 year olds goading you into meeting them for sex. What a job.

Still a scam, though.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
12/7/10 6:42 a.m.

Yep-It's a scam, flag that B%&*#h!

Drewsifer
Drewsifer HalfDork
12/7/10 7:10 a.m.

Monster Toad
Monster Toad Reader
12/7/10 7:51 a.m.

In reply to Drewsifer:

That's a SAAB.

redstack
redstack New Reader
12/7/10 7:41 p.m.

Ahhh SAAB vs Saab.. actually a nice 96 or sonnet is high of my list of cars I waste time searching for on CL. Bought a new 77" 99 wagon back. Sold it to buy sails for my boat. Damn boats ate up the next 25yrs of my money.

Powar
Powar Dork
12/8/10 8:37 a.m.

Anybody want some Sonetts? A nice restorable 95?

What was the beast in the ad, anyway? I'm late to the party.

mndsm
mndsm Dork
12/8/10 9:22 a.m.

Evo 9- pic was an MR car, though not specified, said it needed a new trans, and the guy "supposedly" wanted 5500$ for it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4ebQMITNvrTL56DWp3QkOg6f0xp93Ulkac0ycnd6ZJIiZO83Nx2uY5bCldi9ZxbW