racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
9/28/15 1:28 p.m.

Which team was in practice (Manor? Toro Roso?) that dropped a bolt and they had to dismantle the car to find it? I thought that was priceless and glad to know it wasn't just me that dropped things.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
9/28/15 4:23 p.m.

The race was all in the start and first 2 corners.

Hamilton gets Rosberg into turn 2 and is gone.

Rosberg enters turn three in fourth.

Poor Ricciardo has a picture and subsequent aero/chassis damage.

Maldonado senior-> Massa jinks over to run into Ricciardo and gets a front tire destroyed for his error.

Poor Perez gets punted way off line.

For all the hype about Lotus I thought their good showing was more due to three or four cars that would normally beat them, having issues on Lap 1.

I still don't see the positives about wunder kid Max. He basically seems to drive in a way that is simply dangerous and other drivers let him by to avoid the life ending shunt.

McLaren Honda better hope that race one of 2016 they are upper midpack or IDK if the partnership will survive.

I almost wish the red bull has no engines for next year. Then they go under but Adrian Newey buys the team with b Spec Ferrari engines and wins the constructor's championship 2016.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
9/28/15 4:51 p.m.

IMHO max drives like Schumacher or senna.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
9/29/15 12:49 a.m.

I also thought the coverage of the leader was a little bit sparse. Could have at least shown the full pitstops. Maybe some footage of lapping cars. They did get Rosberg two passes for the 2nd position

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/29/15 4:18 a.m.

finally a coverage (even if on at a time I couldn't see, and no replays ) that didn't focus on the runaway leader … doing nothing more than … running away

my understanding is that there was some decent racing back in the pack .. if Merc wants the TV time … then maybe they need to stay in touch with the rest of the field

it gets extremely boring just watching Hamilton turning school/track day laps

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
9/29/15 7:33 a.m.
Ransom wrote: Wow... Just pulled up the last page to see whether I could manage enough curiosity to watch an F1 race this year. Apparently I need to go back a few pages.

LOLZers. I did the same thing.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/29/15 7:58 a.m.

I never knew it was quite this blatant. Ferrari gets a a $164m for finishing 4th, Merc gets $98m. Wow.

http://www.autosport.com/news/report.php/id/118955/

JohnyHachi6
JohnyHachi6 Dork
9/29/15 8:22 a.m.
wbjones wrote: it gets extremely boring just watching Hamilton turning school/track day laps

Agree. I was desperately hoping that Singapore was a sign of things to come...

MCarp22
MCarp22 Dork
9/29/15 8:39 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: IMHO max drives like Schumacher or senna.

Or a 17 year old on iRacing....

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
9/29/15 8:39 a.m.
wbjones wrote: it gets extremely boring just watching Hamilton turning school/track day laps

Just like it was when Schumacher or Vettel were dominating. How is this situation worse than that?

I would argue that the racing behind the dominant team/driver is better today than in Shumi's era or Vettel's 4 years. There is a lot more passing for positions than previous years.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
9/29/15 9:10 a.m.

The tv coverage has improved a lot since the Schumacher era. I clearly remember watching a red car circulate, while James Hunt would say stuff like, "The cameramen are certainly missing a good race here."

It would have been nice to see Lewis' pit stop, at least.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
9/29/15 9:30 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver: My opinion on what makes this year boring is the qualifying has been pretty much a lock out by Mercedes, from last year to this year and Nico has taken the role of Barrichelo, Which Weber never accepted. If you look at the stats other than 2013, Hamilton has the potential to have more wins then the Vettel era.

Vettel 2010=5/19 2011=10/20 2012=5/20 2013=13/20

Hamilton 2014=11/19 Hamilton 0 wins for Vettel 2015= 8 wins for Hami with 5 races to go, could eclipse Vettels record on wins.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/29/15 9:57 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Just like it was when Schumacher or Vettel were dominating. How is this situation worse than that? I would argue that the racing behind the dominant team/driver is better today than in Shumi's era or Vettel's 4 years. There is a lot more passing for positions than previous years.

Vettel .. yes … sameOsameO

at least when Schumacher was dominating it was intertwining to listen in on the engineers telling him how much he needed to gain (time wise) to be able to throw in an extra tire stop … and then watch him do it … seldom ever failed to increase pace to the point that he could pit and still hold the lead

with Hamilton (and with Vettel) all they do is zoom out to "beyond" DRS engagement and then cruise … no strategy for extra tire changes (except when they screw up)

or at least that's how I see it .. more exciting racing back in the pace …usually with more season ending implications, this late in the season … nothing left for Hamilton to prove

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
9/29/15 10:04 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Seems like you were looking for things to see for Mike. Had the Ferrari's been a little more dominant, all of that chatter would not have mattered. Besides- how is it more interesting to watch Mike lap quickly, by himself, vs Lewis? It's the same thing.

The only difference now is that you can't hear the chatter. But there are targets for the speeds and times- just like before. And that much of that performance chatter isn't allowed anymore.

Senna did it, too.

At least this year, Mercedes isn't going to win all but one race (McLaren won 15/16 races in 1988).

it's all relative, and repeating.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
9/29/15 2:48 p.m.

Haas goes with Grosjean as if we didn't already know......

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
9/29/15 3:05 p.m.
oldeskewltoy wrote: Haas goes with Grosjean as if we didn't already know......

Pppssshhh! Late to the game.

That was soooo many forum pages ago man!

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
9/29/15 3:14 p.m.

In reply to alfadriver:

Well I guess even during the MSchu Domination I enjoyed the effort to drive fast. Just like these past 6 years of redbull and now MB Domination. The effort at the front is still there. Rosberg isn't slow and watching his effort to get to terms with Hamilton or Hamilton trying to wrestle the car at Spielberg to try and catch Rosberg is just as exciting to me.

The biggest difference in coverage that I see now is that in car footage is short and rare. I would have loved a full lap in car of Hamilton on one of his fast laps. Back on speedvision (before Speed) you would get at least one full lap in a car. Now, only two-three corners.

F1 is great now as it has every been. I think the spectators are deceiving themselves about what it was and/or should be now.

Only catching the end of both of the leader's pitstops was just not good directing.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/29/15 3:20 p.m.

the biggest difference now v. the Michael days … was him being told that he had a 20 sec lead … and you need 20 more seconds in the next 10 laps … and he'd go off and do it … and the announcers would follow it …

now, hardly anyone has different strategies … so as long as the leader gets out of DRS range, he doesn't really have to do any more than that (assuming you're dominate enough to play that way)

oh …. + I'm a Ferrari fanboy

ncjay
ncjay Dork
9/29/15 3:58 p.m.

Romain Grosjean brought up a very good point about going to Haas. It's pretty darn unlikely they'll have financial problems, and with all the teams that are struggling to find funds, that's a big burden off the driver's shoulders wondering if you'll have a ride next week or not.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
9/29/15 4:53 p.m.

In reply to wbjones:

The change in strategies back then was more a tire war issue. Which we don't have.

the other thing is that the cars behind Hamilton could be closer to him than the Ferrari's competitors could have been....

Anyway, how good the racing is, is very much in the eye of the beholder. It was great when Ferrari dominated, but boring when Red Bull or Mercedes or McLaren did. Shuffle those names at will.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/29/15 6:19 p.m.

I understand that … but it did make watching someone like Schumacher run away from the pack some interesting viewing … not so now … like I said, get out of DRS range … and cruise

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
9/29/15 6:37 p.m.

What I "like" or appreciate about DRS is that it should allow a car that is slightly faster to make a pass.

I remember the race where Alonso was clearly faster than Mike, but could not pass- and Mike didn't even have to resort to blocking. That really sucked. In that era, situations like that were common.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
9/30/15 3:35 a.m.

agree … don't like having to utilize DRS… would rather have Indy Car style PTP … add a little bit of strategy to the pass/block thing

but without the tire wars, the only strategy is WHEN to swap tires …and if you save a set of the options for the end

no need to outrun your chasers to ensure the gap allows you to pit and return in the lead

now that's my story and I'm sticking to it …

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
9/30/15 6:38 a.m.

In reply to wbjones:

Actually, I would prefer iron brakes. Ones that get LESS effective with heat. Double the stopping zones, and put a degree of variability back into it. And less downforce, of course.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
9/30/15 7:13 a.m.

No one but a died in the wool Tifosi fan could claim that the Shui era was interesting. Today there is great fighting through the whole field.

I'd vote for simplified engine rules, back to the old KERS system but more power. 1,000+hp. No mandated tire changes or having to use two different compounds, but design the tires such as there is no difference in theoretical race pace between a one and two stopper and let the strategy fall where it will. Most importantly I massively reduce the upper body aero which would allow cars to run closer to each other and drafting, rely more on under body down force. Finally the only pit to car communication would be safety and when to pit. No engine settings, nothing. Let the drivers drive. IF you want delta to the guy in front or behind look in your mirror or down the road. Let the chess game happen in the cockpit, not with a team of statisticians back at the factory radioing in the orders.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
78LygQdwhe0fnNVIjgGtRsSY0pPNPiqNza8c3ZuJil9SFdF8sEVpVlEdx89zrBFF