Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/20/15 3:01 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: With the VIP box, don't you get access to the team "tents" and such? I agree the view isn't that great, but to be able to walk around behind the building and see all the teams and drivers walking around would be worth it to me. -Rob

I believe so, I want to check that out this year. For sure. Gonna have to tell the girlfriend weekend is all about racing. We can party during the week.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/20/15 3:45 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote: With the VIP box, don't you get access to the team "tents" and such? I agree the view isn't that great, but to be able to walk around behind the building and see all the teams and drivers walking around would be worth it to me. -Rob

There are different levels that you pay different money to get access. I'm not sure what you mean by "VIP box," but we have several PSL license seats and it doesn't get us squat, except for seats on the S/F line (which is a sucky place to watch the race) and the privilege of waiting forever in line to buy overpriced food in the lounges under the grandstand. I think there is something called F1 Club or similar that requires additional money to get into the team area and paddocks before the race.

I'm going this year for the third time. My brother is a big Elton John fan (no, my brother isn't gay, not that there's anything wrong with that), so I'm taking him. I wouldn't go if I didn't get the tickets for free. If I were paying for them, I'd get Turn 1 or (I think) Turn 15 seats.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/20/15 10:13 p.m.

I think it was called the Paddock Club last year. You did have to have a VIP box badge to get back there last year. I was working track hospitality for the race officials last year and driving the team shuttle tram for most of the Ferrari challenge races. I was running back and forth through there all day long. I probably put 100 miles on my cart through out the weekend.

This year I'll be a little more stationary settled into the back 40 in front of what is usually a grand stand full of wild Mexicans in the turn 9 stands. I'll be interested to see what the Mexican GP does for attendance.

It'll be my 3rd event too.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
10/21/15 9:56 a.m.

So if the new engine rules are fully approved for 2016 season then maybe Mercedes will give redbull 2015 level power units.

I am sure Renault is adding extra special funds to their program to make sure they make redbull look like chumps next year.

I wonder if Redbull would simply become a b team for MB. Maybe only IF Adrian Newey is no longer involved with Redbull.

I figure if the rules pass torro rosso will be set with 2015 Spec Ferrari power units.

Honda is the wild card. If they make a big step next year then the championship is starting to look like fun next year.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
10/21/15 2:25 p.m.
Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/21/15 3:06 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: I think it was called the Paddock Club last year. You did have to have a VIP box badge to get back there last year. I was working track hospitality for the race officials last year and driving the team shuttle tram for most of the Ferrari challenge races. I was running back and forth through there all day long. I probably put 100 miles on my cart through out the weekend. This year I'll be a little more stationary settled into the back 40 in front of what is usually a grand stand full of wild Mexicans in the turn 9 stands. I'll be interested to see what the Mexican GP does for attendance. It'll be my 3rd event too.

Interesting.. I will know my access limits when I get into Austin on Friday. Looking forward to it. Been stuck in Florida past week..

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/21/15 3:29 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote:
bmw88rider wrote: I think it was called the Paddock Club last year. You did have to have a VIP box badge to get back there last year. I was working track hospitality for the race officials last year and driving the team shuttle tram for most of the Ferrari challenge races. I was running back and forth through there all day long. I probably put 100 miles on my cart through out the weekend. This year I'll be a little more stationary settled into the back 40 in front of what is usually a grand stand full of wild Mexicans in the turn 9 stands. I'll be interested to see what the Mexican GP does for attendance. It'll be my 3rd event too.
Interesting.. I will know my access limits when I get into Austin on Friday. Looking forward to it. Been stuck in Florida past week..

Depending on which suites you're in, you may have access already. I've never been in them, but if you're in the suites above the pit lane, don't you have to go through the paddock area to get to them?

Regardless, I'd make sure to stop by a WallyWorld and grab rain gear, including rain boots. Local weather is predicting a serious amount of rain this weekend with widespread flooding.

-Rob

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/21/15 3:46 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
Coldsnap wrote:
Depending on which suites you're in, you may have access already. I've never been in them, but if you're in the suites above the pit lane, don't you have to go through the paddock area to get to them? Regardless, I'd make sure to stop by a WallyWorld and grab rain gear, including rain boots. Local weather is predicting a serious amount of rain this weekend with widespread flooding. -Rob

Whoa really? Noted, thanks for the tip. Same box as last year, it's across from the pit lane. I entered COA, walked to the left 50 yards and took an elevator up to the box. View from last year, it sits above the starting line bleachers. -

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/21/15 4:36 p.m.

FWIW, the forecast says big rain for Saturday, but to clear up a bit for Sunday. Of course, that's just the forecast.

I'm a bit left to you in the bleachers. The boxes across the pit lane above the garages are for owners/manufacturers/officials/sponsors, etc. Those are doled out exclusively by F1 and not the track.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/21/15 6:22 p.m.

Oh yeah....Wrong side for all of the cool stuff. The ones over the garages give you access to all of that.

I wish I was better with names and faces of famous people. I dropped more than a few people off over there last year. Oh well. I wonder who all I was carting around and didn't know it.

Yeah, It'll be very wet Friday and Saturday at least. I'll be a raisin by the end of the day. Oh well.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/22/15 8:41 a.m.

The only ones that matter are the drivers. Any other famous people hanging around an F1 pit aren't famous for racing

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/22/15 11:44 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: FWIW, the forecast says big rain for Saturday, but to clear up a bit for Sunday. Of course, that's just the forecast. I'm a bit left to you in the bleachers. The boxes across the pit lane above the garages are for owners/manufacturers/officials/sponsors, etc. Those are doled out exclusively by F1 and not the track.

If I get my locations right, the track is in the 5"-7" band. That's a lot of water.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/22/15 12:02 p.m.

Yes, We are right in the 5-7" band. It's right about where the N in Austin is on that map.

Soooo 35 days without a drop of rain. Almost 60 days with under an inch of rain...F1 comes and we get hit with the combo of a strong low front and leftovers from the hurricane hitting the west coast of Mexico. Will be interesting if it is all gone by sunday or not. No one can agree on that. They are saying 9-11 inches at my house. TG I'm in the high lands well above the drainage creeks

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/22/15 12:09 p.m.

That's crazy. Hopefully won't have to park super far out in those lots, like I did last year.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/22/15 12:20 p.m.

Well, Heading out to the track now for safety briefings and registration. To all of the out of town fans coming in, have a great time and I'll pop in for some reports from the Back forty at the end of the days.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/22/15 2:32 p.m.

GAHHHH I cannot freaking wait. Counting the hours right now.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
10/22/15 6:57 p.m.

At least if it's raining, there's a chance someone besides Hamilton could get the pole.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/22/15 7:19 p.m.
ncjay wrote: At least if it's raining, there's a chance someone besides Hamilton could get the pole.

Based on the forecast- whoever's car floats the best will be on pole.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/22/15 8:07 p.m.

So I'll have a great view of the elton john show if I decide to stay around. My station is right across from the stage.

Few of the vintage cars out there:

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/22/15 8:19 p.m.

GAH!!! Why do you have to show me the vintage cars?

I have to work tomorrow, the boy has his first homecoming dance on Saturday. Sunday's tickets were too expensive (as of yesterday). But NOW, seeing THOSE, I may have to rethink Sunday......

Anyone know if we can ogle those up close? Like, are they going to have a car show type of thing? Seeing them on track would be cool, but if they're hidden away in the back paddock, maybe that'll convince me to stay home at watch the race in a dry house.

-Rob

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/22/15 8:48 p.m.

Rob, I couldn't answer that for the F1 race. I know the 2 JPS cars should be back for the SVRA event in 2 weeks. That event is awesome for seeing the cars up close and personal. I actually sat in one of the JPS Lotus a couple years ago. That event is a heck of a lot cheaper too

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/23/15 9:55 a.m.

Dude, if you are interested in vintage stuff totally forgo the F1 race and come to the SVRA race in a couple of weeks. 480 vintage racers are registered. $30 for a day, $49 for the weekend for spectators. Your Saturday entry gets you to the Marshall Tucker Band concert that night, as well.

It frustrates the bejesus out of me that SVRA and COTA do such a piss-poor job of marketing this event to spectators. It is the best kept secret of the car enthusiast world, particularly in Texas. Not to mention, the entry fees are very high and more spectators would help to get those down.

I'll be racing my vintage MG Midget. Anybody wants to sit in it, just ask. Red #57.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/23/15 9:56 a.m.

Basil Exposition wrote:

Dude, if you are interested in vintage stuff totally forgo the F1 race and come to the SVRA race in a couple of weeks. 480 vintage racers are registered. $30 for a day, $49 for the weekend for spectators. Your Saturday entry gets you to the Marshall Tucker Band concert that night, as well.

It frustrates the bejesus out of me that SVRA and COTA do such a piss-poor job of marketing this event to spectators. It is the best kept secret of the car enthusiast world, particularly in Texas. Not to mention, the entry fees for drivers are very high and more spectators would help to get those down.

I'll be racing my vintage MG Midget. Anybody wants to sit in it, just ask. Red #57.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
10/23/15 10:07 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
ncjay wrote: At least if it's raining, there's a chance someone besides Hamilton could get the pole.
Based on the forecast- whoever's car floats the best will be on pole.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/23/15 10:40 a.m.
Basil Exposition wrote: Dude, if you are interested in vintage stuff totally forgo the F1 race and come to the SVRA race in a couple of weeks. 480 vintage racers are registered. $30 for a day, $49 for the weekend for spectators. Your Saturday entry gets you to the Marshall Tucker Band concert that night, as well. It frustrates the bejesus out of me that SVRA and COTA do such a piss-poor job of marketing this event to spectators. It is the best kept secret of the car enthusiast world, particularly in Texas. Not to mention, the entry fees are very high and more spectators would help to get those down. I'll be racing my vintage MG Midget. Anybody wants to sit in it, just ask. Red #57.

My son and I attended last year and plan on attending this year. It was cool watching him interact with the drivers, asking questions, etc. His favorite were the Formula Juniors. I think we hung out in their section for most of the time. Even helped them maneuver the cars around for their big picture. If I can swing the funds by the time he turns 16, I'd love to get him a vintage Vee to be able to race it at both vintage events and SCCA events.

Agreed on the lack of advertising. But, why should they be different than any other? SCCA is the worst about the lack of advertising, which is why they're often referred to as the Secret Car Club of America..... Besides, the COTA guys don't care about auto racing, anyway. That's obvious from the lack of racing events and the glut of concerts/sports/etc.

Hopefully, there will be a bunch of Spridgets there. I'll make absolutely sure to stop by and say hi. If you need any help, we'd be happy to volunteer. I've had Spridgets and he's becoming a decent kart mechanic. But we can be gophers, too! Or, if you hear of anyone else who could use some free help.

-Rob

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
2kBNGnjZUBKGdnTxRQuUobLPDxfZu2zwuYa8m2o9DzSs6MrrOdoWvi3PEDdXVejX