Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltimaDork
10/23/15 11:33 a.m.

Following FP1 on ESPN F1 web site. Alonso in the McHonda is 3rd fastest through the speed trap!!

Massa - 326.1
Raikkonen 323.2
Alonso 320.6
Bottas 317.9
Ericsson 317.6

All Km/h obviously.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/23/15 8:03 p.m.
rob_lewis wrote:
Basil Exposition wrote: Dude, if you are interested in vintage stuff totally forgo the F1 race and come to the SVRA race in a couple of weeks. 480 vintage racers are registered. $30 for a day, $49 for the weekend for spectators. Your Saturday entry gets you to the Marshall Tucker Band concert that night, as well. It frustrates the bejesus out of me that SVRA and COTA do such a piss-poor job of marketing this event to spectators. It is the best kept secret of the car enthusiast world, particularly in Texas. Not to mention, the entry fees are very high and more spectators would help to get those down. I'll be racing my vintage MG Midget. Anybody wants to sit in it, just ask. Red #57.
My son and I attended last year and plan on attending this year. It was cool watching him interact with the drivers, asking questions, etc. His favorite were the Formula Juniors. I think we hung out in their section for most of the time. Even helped them maneuver the cars around for their big picture. If I can swing the funds by the time he turns 16, I'd love to get him a vintage Vee to be able to race it at both vintage events and SCCA events. Agreed on the lack of advertising. But, why should they be different than any other? SCCA is the worst about the lack of advertising, which is why they're often referred to as the Secret Car Club of America..... Besides, the COTA guys don't care about auto racing, anyway. That's obvious from the lack of racing events and the glut of concerts/sports/etc. Hopefully, there will be a bunch of Spridgets there. I'll make absolutely sure to stop by and say hi. If you need any help, we'd be happy to volunteer. I've had Spridgets and he's becoming a decent kart mechanic. But we can be gophers, too! Or, if you hear of anyone else who could use some free help. -Rob

Thanks for the offer, Rob, but I've got enough gophers. My father is going to be there and a couple of other guys. Thing is, there is so little actual track time at this event that there is plenty of time between races to get stuff done. I could just about rebuild the motor between sessions! Don't hesitate to drop by, though. I haven't counted up the Spridgets, but you can find an entry list on the SVRA website.

Interesting comment on COTA not being interested in auto racing. I know you were being facetious, but I think it is somewhat telling that the ownership and the most senior executive had nothing to do with racing before being involved in the track. I know the concert/sports stuff is their effort to make enough money to support it, though. Auto racing, outside of NASCAR, is just not a big money maker in the US.

The SVRA deal is a lot different from your typical SCCA or club race, though. I think they are missing a big opportunity by not marketing it to car enthusiasts, if only in Texas. Think Goodwood Festival of Speed or the Revival.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/23/15 8:22 p.m.

So.....One word for today. Biblical. We got evaced from the station because the rain was torrential, I got a nice nap in while we were hanging out in one of the green rooms at the amphitheater, and we watched porsche cup guys jump their cars off the curbing and slide across the track. There were some people hanging out waiting for a charter bus when the last blast hit and they got hammered. I felt so sorry for them.

Rob, Were you listening in on our corner? We were just talking about that during one of the breaks. It's funny that they call COTA an entertainment venue and not a race track. All of the bad weather this week is really going to hurt the pocketbook. Money in auto racing is gone now that the sin ads are pretty much gone.

Basil, Have fun at SVRA. We will have to hook up some time at CVAR as SVRA and the fall nascar race at TMS are on the same weekend and I'll be up in Ft. Worth working that.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/23/15 8:28 p.m.

So what's fun to do at the track tomorrow? Planning on getting there at 9:00am and being there all day. Girlfriend will certainly be hung over and grumpy tomorrow.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/23/15 8:39 p.m.

Avoid the 3-4" of rain forecasted? There is a lot of stuff setup on the plaza area by the amphitheater. Get you wristband early if you want to get into any of the autograph sessions. They are handing those out those out by the turn 15 enterance. They have some classic hot rods and muscle cars parked out by turn 19. Of course, there is all kinds of shopping and different booths setup. I know they are working on the minute by minute schedule to try and not have to cancel more sessions like today.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/23/15 8:53 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: Avoid the 3-4" of rain forecasted? There is a lot of stuff setup on the plaza area by the amphitheater. Get you wristband early if you want to get into any of the autograph sessions. They are handing those out those out by the turn 15 enterance. They have some classic hot rods and muscle cars parked out by turn 19. Of course, there is all kinds of shopping and different booths setup. I know they are working on the minute by minute schedule to try and not have to cancel more sessions like today.

Dang, I wonder if qualifying will even happen.. I need to get some rainboots.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/23/15 11:00 p.m.

Some expectation of quali on Sunday morning, but the Mercedes engineer I just talked to said it's possible it could be early Saturday. They're expecting the rain to increase as the day goes on.

I got very wet today.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/24/15 4:46 a.m.

Well, They upped the rain forecasts from 2.3" to 5.7" of rain at my house. I woke up so very heavy rains this morning. We will see how good the rain gear really is I guess.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/24/15 7:05 a.m.

I saw they altered the parking plan for Saturday. Seems a lot of the grass/dirt parking turned into deep mud yesterday. So if you are going, check the COTA website to see where/if you have a place to park. I imagine after more rain today the parking will get worse.

Maybe it is time to resurrect another F1 tradition-- the infamous Watkins Glen Bog!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/24/15 7:22 a.m.

Haha. Yeah. They towed a few of my fellow marshals out last night. I made sure I'm on the hard grounds. There is already over 2 inches of rain on the ground here and still coming down strong.

The Elton John show will be interesting as the crowd space is on coyote hill.

There is an option to qualify on sunday morning as well. Official word from the FIA is they don't want to cancel qualifying no matter what.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/24/15 8:33 a.m.

Latest is that the track is not letting people in until noon.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/24/15 8:48 a.m.

Cota finally decided to let fans shelter in the main grandstand. Sure would have been nice yesterday It's been raining hard all night in town.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/24/15 8:58 a.m.

Should I park my rental downtown and take the downtown shuttle in?

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/24/15 9:35 a.m.

Parking updates: http://www.circuitoftheamericas.com/sat-parking

Keep in mind that every farm in the area is selling parking for $10-$20. We're at Taylor Rotorsports for $35 for the weekend.

Meanwhile, at the track...

wae
wae HalfDork
10/24/15 10:35 a.m.

After reading the parking update, is anyone else concerned that there's a road near there apparently called "Maldonado Trail"? Is Lot Q a parking lot or a salvage yard?

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/24/15 11:29 a.m.

Yea I'm so berkeleyed. Parked the Nissan altima in the tracks gravel parking lot. As the mud softens up I'm real worried I won't be able to get out... And $60. Dunno.. Worrysome that's its going to be a complete E36 M3 show trying to get out.

Can I buy shuttle tickets from downtown for tomorrow?

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/24/15 12:16 p.m.

Cancelled the Porsche qualifying. There is a river through our station. Tg for water proof phone bag. No let up in sight for the rain. The wind blowing through at my station is bad.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/24/15 1:38 p.m.
bmw88rider wrote: Cancelled the Porsche qualifying. There is a river through our station. Tg for water proof phone bag. No let up in sight for the rain. The wind blowing through at my station is bad.

Thanks for the work that you do, though!!! Sorry conditions are so bad.

-Rob

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/24/15 2:23 p.m.

They've now canceled qualifying again- to 4pm EST. Not sure why they don't just call it- looking at the weather, it's not going to change anytime, soon.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis SuperDork
10/24/15 2:37 p.m.

Because from a TV perspective, it'll be difficult to shuffle tomorrow schedule for qualifying?

To bmw88rider: Just heard they're sending out buses to pick up corner workers and media from the track so they can get warm. Hopefully you'll be able to dry off and get some hot beverages in you!

-Rob

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
10/24/15 3:30 p.m.

another choice they mentioned is that the grid will be set by free practice 3 times

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/24/15 3:39 p.m.

I've been sleeping in the back of a nice warm ambulance for a little bit now.

This weekend is the most rest I've ever gotten on a single race weekend and in the weirdest places.

They are going to call it probably at 4 and do qualifying at 9:00 am tomorrow. We originally had a late start tomorrow but it looks like they are just taking up that time.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/24/15 3:48 p.m.

It seems pretty clear to me right now. They should run!!

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/24/15 3:58 p.m.

Actually they are. Just got the word. Time to gear back up and go back out for qualifying it seems like.

Espartan
Espartan New Reader
10/24/15 4:32 p.m.

Quali is moved to tomorrow at 9. Don't forget the time change.

I left the track around 3 because it didn't look like it was getting any better. If you're still at the track, believe they opened up pits to everyone, definitely check that out.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AcfcowAcfcsDvGbGgyP7WMCQKumBSx41auxxUag5MRrMRDrT5kMrairvnLDNOfWu