alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/25/15 4:03 p.m.

Dang, Nico is pretty pissed, but he did that on his own. Only the opening corner did Lewis push him around a little.

TRoglodyte
TRoglodyte SuperDork
10/25/15 4:17 p.m.

I think Hammy went in hot on a green track

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/25/15 4:27 p.m.

Wow, I shivered all afternoon with that cold wind. Man, my blood has got thin having lived in Texas this long.

Great race, though. Nico did a great job of acting all butthurt on the podium.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy PowerDork
10/25/15 4:30 p.m.

First: I swear, when I buy Formula One from Bernie, I'm going to install sprinklers at all the tracks.

Second: Nico. Dude. Learn to handle the pressure.

Third: Lewis- Nice.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/25/15 5:14 p.m.

I thought F1 was supposed to be boring. Holy cow.

wbjones
wbjones MegaDork
10/25/15 6:17 p.m.

mixed/changing weather conditions … qualifying AND the race, makes for a lot more excitement

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr SuperDork
10/25/15 7:09 p.m.

Lewis Hamilton world champion. Again.

Great drive by button and vetstappen.

Crazy race mid pack.

Awesome.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
10/25/15 7:27 p.m.

Nico had a right to be pissed about Lewis' move at the start. But come on. The way the race unfolded, it didn't end up mattering at all. He had it all but wrapped up until he handed it to Lewis by making a mistake. Grow up.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla HalfDork
10/25/15 7:57 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: Lewis Hamilton world champion. Again. Great drive by button and vetstappen. Crazy race mid pack. Awesome.

Crazy racing everywhere in that one.

Loved it.

Basil Exposition
Basil Exposition Dork
10/25/15 8:29 p.m.

This is, what, the fourth F1 race here? And COTA still can't get its transport plan together. I know the rain caused a lot of problems, but COME ON! 20 or 30 buses idling while they load ONE BUS AT A TIME! 2 hour wait for the downtown shuttle. And all the internal track buses sitting empty and not going anywhere. Can you spell "redeploy?"

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/25/15 8:34 p.m.

Holy E36 M3 guys what a race. Last year I took 5 pictures. I took over 500 this weekend. Wowwwww.

I can't believe Kvyat passed Hamilton for like a good 1 seconds. Lots of rookie mistake from him but was wonderful watching him best Hamilton down for a bit.

ncjay
ncjay Dork
10/25/15 8:50 p.m.

That was one of the best F1 races I've ever seen. I did lose a little respect for Nico today though. Rossi did a great job just finishing the race on a day when many veterans couldn't do it. Anyone know if rain is in the forecast for Mexico? The rest of this season looks to be very interesting.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/25/15 9:30 p.m.

Gees Basil. I was home 45 minutes after the checkered flag.

Of course I had to be a sight to be seen though. In my shorts, long sleeve t-shirt, and work boots running across the COTA compound. But I knew from experience I needed to get my buttocks moving and get to my car ASAP.

Finally got to see the rest of the action and did they feel that since they were they were in Texas, they had to drive like nascar? I couldn't see the different events with the board locations and working and all.

I hope everyone enjoyed the updates through the weekend. It was definitely a weekend to remember. Not all for the right reasons though. Oh well. I worked with a good crew and had a good time event with everything happening. My corner captain from the weekend is following the circuit for the rest of the events this year.

Off to Mexico. Hope there isn't too much damage from the hurricane.

Tom_Spangler
Tom_Spangler UltraDork
10/26/15 8:44 a.m.

I forgot to mention, Ricciardo's pass on Lewis was an absolute thing of beauty. He was fighting the car the whole way around but he still managed to make it stick.

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
10/26/15 9:27 a.m.

In reply to Tom_Spangler: Has anybody ever handled that situation well in F1? I think that Nico is fast, but if he was mentally strong, and aggressive. I think F1 would be a little more exciting up front and Hamilton wouldn't have walked away with this championship. I also think that Vettal see's they have a strong car for next year and may give Mercedes a run for their money.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
10/26/15 9:39 a.m.

Does anyone understand the Virtual Safety Car thing? How can Nico be beside Ricciardo when he is supposed to maintain a 3s gap behind?

I don't get it?

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/26/15 9:44 a.m.
Tom_Spangler wrote: I forgot to mention, Ricciardo's pass on Lewis was an absolute thing of beauty. He was fighting the car the whole way around but he still managed to make it stick.

Right! Saw that on the giant screen at the track. Was super squirrely on him, but he made it stick.

I can't wait to watch the race again on the flight home. You miss a bit being there in person.

For now, to enjoy myself in Austin for the rest of the week.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/26/15 9:59 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: Does anyone understand the Virtual Safety Car thing? How can Nico be beside Ricciardo when he is supposed to maintain a 3s gap behind? I don't get it?

I don't. I was under the impression that the field froze in place. But after every VSC, the field was far more bunched than before it. Seems not to work what so ever.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner MegaDork
10/26/15 10:25 a.m.
Advan046 wrote: Does anyone understand the Virtual Safety Car thing? How can Nico be beside Ricciardo when he is supposed to maintain a 3s gap behind? I don't get it?

Nico always seems to do well from the VSC. I think he's anticipating the timing or delaying his response a bit - in a sport where a second is forever.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
10/26/15 10:40 a.m.

I agree about Nico needing to toughen up mentally. I think that's where most of his problems come from, and where I think Hamilton knows he has the advantage on him. This is what the Prost vs. Senna battle would have looked like if Prost was more of a pushover.

Great race though. Imagine if every F1 race were run partially when it was dry, and partially wet. Maybe you turn the sprinklers on a different times during the race with no one knowing when they start and stop!

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
10/26/15 11:11 a.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Nico always seems to do well from the VSC. I think he's anticipating the timing or delaying his response a bit - in a sport where a second is forever.

Being along side the car ahead instead of 3 seconds behind seems to more of a stretch of the rules instead of great reflexes.

The VSC just seems out of control instead of doing what it should do which is allow the drivers to go around track safely.

bmw88rider
bmw88rider Dork
10/26/15 11:16 a.m.

It's so weird because their brothers in the WEC have it down to a science and are very good at it. Maybe there needs to be some VSC training for the F1 operators.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
10/26/15 2:24 p.m.

In reply to bmw88rider:

Yeah I only saw one WEC race with a VSC and it worked as intended the cars were seeming to be much more controlled.

One theory given was that F1 is so temp sensitive that everyone starts zigzagging, lunging and such to keep things warm so people are out of sorts. But when the VSC ends soon comes out I thought they would be expected to fall in line to the proper gaps.

Great race otherwise. That whole VSC ending pass that Rosberg pulled seemed sucky. But he got that magical wheel spin that you never get except when trying to win to keep your championship alive.

Also at t1L1 my friend argued with me that Hamilton may have expected to stay on line but Rosberg moved over thus Hamilton jinked and that jink may have been where Hamilton screwed up his braking or simply the jink took too much of the available traction from him at the start of the braking zone thus he went too deep. I think he just screwed up his braking point and smashed into Rosberg.

alfadriver
alfadriver UltimaDork
10/26/15 2:51 p.m.
Advan046 wrote: In reply to bmw88rider: Yeah I only saw one WEC race with a VSC and it worked as intended the cars were seeming to be much more controlled. One theory given was that F1 is so temp sensitive that everyone starts zigzagging, lunging and such to keep things warm so people are out of sorts. But when the VSC ends soon comes out I thought they would be expected to fall in line to the proper gaps. Great race otherwise. That whole VSC ending pass that Rosberg pulled seemed sucky. But he got that magical wheel spin that you never get except when trying to win to keep your championship alive. Also at t1L1 my friend argued with me that Hamilton may have expected to stay on line but Rosberg moved over thus Hamilton jinked and that jink may have been where Hamilton screwed up his braking or simply the jink took too much of the available traction from him at the start of the braking zone thus he went too deep. I think he just screwed up his braking point and touched Rosberg.

FYP. If he smashed, both would have ended their race right there.

Advan046
Advan046 SuperDork
10/26/15 2:59 p.m.

Hamilton!!! Yes, Three time Driver's World Champion!!!!!!!!!!!!

Awesome man!! Awesome!!!

Loving it!

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
bMWrOodZCqSa9bMV790x3TDdZxfXPkP1Wfo89hHbZmHy3H92keKEgkbACMP571YV