1 2
Xceler8x
Xceler8x HalfDork
2/9/09 9:25 a.m.
SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
2/9/09 9:29 a.m.

cool drag car, but..... my streets have.... da , da dahhhhh Corners!
Left AND right.

I'd lose this guy in my 93 4 Runner

P71
P71 Dork
2/9/09 9:31 a.m.

You don't understand how fast 6 seconds is...

You could pass this guy at 120MPH and from a dead stop he'd pass you in under a 1000 feet at nearly 200MPH.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy SuperDork
2/9/09 9:34 a.m.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/9/09 9:37 a.m.

Can we find the "best" (as in acceleration/ top speed/ lateral G's/braking) perfomance car in america?

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/9/09 9:46 a.m.

Nice idea.

GRM What about something like this for all of your "Feature Cars" then keep a rolling log and award a "Top Dawg" every year.

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Production Editor
2/9/09 10:36 a.m.

We'd love to, but our parking lot won't support top speed testing. This stuff is best suited to the track, so instead we invite people with super-duper cars to the Ultimate Track Car Challenge.

We'd love to see that Corvette at VIR.

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
2/9/09 10:45 a.m.
P71 wrote: You don't understand how fast 6 seconds is... You could pass this guy at 120MPH and from a dead stop he'd pass you in under a 1000 feet at nearly 200MPH.

Oh I do ! As an ex- Gas Dragster pointer.

First 90 degree corner, I woud be past him as he tours the cornfields. A serious FAST car , in a straight line. But I know any number of auto x ers that would blow him off in a Honda

cxhb
cxhb New Reader
2/9/09 10:46 a.m.

you know, i have never been a fan of drag racing. But i really think this deserves some recognition. Can you imagine how fast that truly is? P71 said it best...

SoloSonett
SoloSonett Reader
2/9/09 10:56 a.m.

Fast yes. Street legal, yes ( barely ) but fastest street car, NO

Streets are longer than 1/4 mile And require turning, braking ( without parachute re-packing )acceleration and repeat, many times.

This car is a truly FAST street leagl Dragster. My old rail NEVER broke out of the 7's

But drive it to a GRM Challenge and see how many points the drag race will carry over through Auto X...

Wally
Wally SuperDork
2/9/09 10:57 a.m.

The headline just says it's fast and it is. He makes no claims about it's abilities to turn. I love how some people see some type of auto racing food chain that goes Me (My Civic goes both ways in a parking lot)> Jeff Gordon (I guess at least he turns one way) > John Force ( Any trained monkey can press a pedal when a light turns green, hell chimps even made it to space)

confuZion3
confuZion3 Dork
2/9/09 1:37 p.m.

I know his car can do zero to sixty in one second, but the bugatti veyron can go over 255 mph. This vette tops out at 212 or something. Of course it's half the weight of the veyron and has more than 2000 HP, but the top speed it still higher in the mighty Veyron.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
2/9/09 1:45 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I know his car can do zero to sixty in one second, but the bugatti veyron can go over 255 mph. This vette tops out at 212 or something. Of course it's half the weight of the veyron and has more than 2000 HP, but the top speed it still higher in the mighty Veyron.

But I'm sure if you swap out the rear gear and take it to the salt flats it would push past the bugatti. Or maybe not, I'm not sure about the aeros on that vette

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/9/09 1:48 p.m.
confuZion3 wrote: I know his car can do zero to sixty in one second, but the bugatti veyron can go over 255 mph. This vette tops out at 212 or something. Of course it's half the weight of the veyron and has more than 2000 HP, but the top speed it still higher in the mighty Veyron.

Not necessarily. This thing just hit 212mph through the traps at a 1/4mile drag. That's not saying what the absolute top speed is. Sure, I bet that due primarily to aerodynamics, the Veyron will still have a slightly higher absolute speed. But it will certainly take a lot longer to reach that speed.

It would be interesting to see what this car can do at the salt flats.

What I find scary is that this car takes 1/2 mile to decelerate after driving 1/4 mile.

Scott Lear
Scott Lear Club Editor
2/9/09 2:15 p.m.
Salanis wrote: What I find scary is that this car takes 1/2 mile to decelerate after driving 1/4 mile.

I wonder what his braking marker on the front straight at VIR would be? The tower?

P71
P71 Dork
2/9/09 2:18 p.m.

This car hits 200 faster than a Veyron hits 100. Gear it right and bring it to Bonneville and it has the power for 280+. It costs less than a Veyron too.

Will
Will Reader
2/9/09 4:50 p.m.

How about we just call it the quickest street car instead of the fastest? Quick=ET, fast=mph. And no doubt this is the quickest street legal car in America.

mrdontplay
mrdontplay New Reader
2/9/09 5:49 p.m.

Street legal doesn't mean street-able.

Will
Will Reader
2/9/09 6:31 p.m.

"Streetable" only means how much nonsense you're willing to put up with from a car in the name of glorious overkill performance.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=19w-iZuPcEE

John Brown
John Brown SuperDork
2/9/09 6:43 p.m.

If anyone remembers our "Draguar" project it is now sitting int the shop that lunchwagon just pulled out of.

P71
P71 Dork
2/9/09 6:51 p.m.

The "Fastest Street Car" moniker is courtesy of Orlando Speed World Dragstrip who held the first "Fastest Street Car Shootout" waaay back in the early 90's. They had a bunch of guys from Sweden and Norway ship over some seriously insane (and actually street-driven) cars to challenge the local good ole boys. The Scandinavians destroyed the competition and then went and street raced for real on the roads outside the track. Ever since then it's been the title of "World's Fastest Street Car" even though technically it is quickest.

If you don't believe these cars are street-able you need to go to Hot Rod's Drag Week. 5 drag strips in 5 days, over 1,000 miles, and no trailers. You have to drive the car. They don't mess around either, the route is laid out with checkpoints and it's usually twisty back roads with potholes. Winner last year drove a 7-second Camaro with an insane blower setup. Some of the guys drive Lenco's. Some of them gasp road race too!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/9/09 6:59 p.m.

I personally hold no respect for automotive competitions featuring a drag race. After all, a trained monkey can do that. Same thing goes for concourse competitions. Beauty contests are for losers.

blaze86vic
blaze86vic Reader
2/9/09 7:25 p.m.
Scott Lear wrote:
Salanis wrote: What I find scary is that this car takes 1/2 mile to decelerate after driving 1/4 mile.
I wonder what his braking marker on the front straight at VIR would be? The tower?

I would think it'd be more like pit-in.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
2/9/09 7:45 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Same thing goes for concourse competitions. Beauty contests are for losers.

+1

I don't care what it looks like so long as the badges don't lie.

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
2/9/09 8:08 p.m.

P-71, remember about 3 or 4 yrs ago there was a guy with a 99 or 00 Silverado? It had the 6.0L with a wicked turbo setup and placed top ten I believe. The best part was he pulled an 18ft open trailer with tools, tires, generator/welder, compressor, and a 55 gal drum of Cam 4!!

And much respect for the drag racers. Even though its not my cup of tea, it takes thousands of hours to dial in a good suspension to get a sub 10 sec car to launch, never mind a 7 sec car. You need to be almost phsycic to have a good repeatable r/t on a pro tree also.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
h9ZSeTj5EGNMS320vUdBCT7AuuVGBdPd4nDeJh5xY4dTooMylmcNYwyy5KkNY4H0