1 2
Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/9/09 8:23 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Salanis wrote: Same thing goes for concourse competitions. Beauty contests are for losers.
+1 I don't care what it looks like so long as the badges don't lie.

I see my sarcasm was lost on you.

P71
P71 Dork
2/9/09 8:24 p.m.

That truck is still around. The guys at 1320video.com (who film all the Drag Weeks and sell the DVD's) built it and then followed up with the 5.3 L33 with a turbo in the Fairmont for 10's that they won their class in Drag Week with and then went to Pinks.

The truck won two years in a row. It won the inaugural year's "small block, power adder" class towing the MASSIVE trailer loaded with tools, welders, etc (that they used to repair everybody else's cars, the truck never broke). The next year they came back and won the 12.0 Daily Driver class on street tires with no support tools at all. In fact they had to use the race truck to jump the camera truck at one point.

ignorant
ignorant SuperDork
2/9/09 8:39 p.m.

drag racing is awesome..... I like it in little doses... but its cool..

DAMN those are big ass turbos.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
2/9/09 8:53 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote:
Salanis wrote: Same thing goes for concourse competitions. Beauty contests are for losers.

It is the internet, sir, the sar-chasm is wide and deep.

And you know what? I still don't care.

It may be the [strangely] unpopular opinion, but honestly, I couldn't care less about concours events. I do feel it's a waste to take ANY car and just sit and polish it with a diaper and never drive it. I'd rather see a vintage car raced and wrecked than put on a pedestal in a museum and never moved under it's own power again.

billy3esq
billy3esq Dork
2/9/09 8:57 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Same thing goes for concourse competitions.

Is a concourse competition what happens when you race those electric airport carts that carry the old people from one gate to another?

Goldmember
Goldmember New Reader
2/9/09 9:01 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote:
Salanis wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote:
It *is* the internet, sir, the sar-chasm is wide and deep. And you know what? I still don't care. It may be the [strangely] unpopular opinion, but honestly, I couldn't care less about concours events. I *do* feel it's a waste to take ANY car and just sit and polish it with a diaper and never drive it. I'd rather see a vintage car raced and wrecked than put on a pedestal in a museum and never moved under it's own power again.

Well spoken Brother!!

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/9/09 9:18 p.m.
ReverendDexter wrote: It *is* the internet, sir, the sar-chasm is wide and deep. And you know what? I still don't care. It may be the [strangely] unpopular opinion, but honestly, I couldn't care less about concours events. I *do* feel it's a waste to take ANY car and just sit and polish it with a diaper and never drive it. I'd rather see a vintage car raced and wrecked than put on a pedestal in a museum and never moved under it's own power again.

Yeah. And the worst is when some organization holds a competition featuring both a drag race and concourse competition. I can only imagine what sort of stupid organization would host such a crappy competition for losers.

billy3esq wrote: Is a concourse competition what happens when you race those electric airport carts that carry the old people from one gate to another?

Holy crap, that would be awesome.

Luke
Luke Dork
2/9/09 9:49 p.m.
Salanis wrote:
ReverendDexter wrote: It *is* the internet, sir, the sar-chasm is wide and deep. And you know what? I still don't care. It may be the [strangely] unpopular opinion, but honestly, I couldn't care less about concours events. I *do* feel it's a waste to take ANY car and just sit and polish it with a diaper and never drive it. I'd rather see a vintage car raced and wrecked than put on a pedestal in a museum and never moved under it's own power again.
Yeah. And the worst is when some organization holds a competition featuring both a drag race and concourse competition. I can only imagine what sort of stupid organization would host such a crappy competition for losers.

Come on now, the concourse element of the Challenge is not comparable to the proper trailer-queen/show car scene.

I remember reading an issue of Practical Classics magazine, where a reader had submitted his AW11 MR2 for the 'Readers' rides' section. It was a mint, immaculately preserved example, driven only a few miles to shows each year. Despite the rarity of an early MR2 in such condition (especially in England), I thought the guy was still missing out on the best part of owning an MR2 - the driving part! Or, more specifically, the part involving thrashing the nuts off that little 4AGE on a nice piece of back road, redlining the tach and rowing through the gears.

ReverendDexter
ReverendDexter Reader
2/9/09 10:00 p.m.
Salanis wrote: Yeah. And the worst is when some organization holds a competition featuring both a drag race and concourse competition. I can only imagine what sort of stupid organization would host such a crappy competition for losers.

Hey, I got it that time!

hehehe

Salanis
Salanis SuperDork
2/9/09 10:27 p.m.
Luke wrote: Come on now, the concourse element of the Challenge is not comparable to the proper trailer-queen/show car scene.

I do agree. And I wasn't making those statements to disparage the Challenge. I was making them to point out that those things have their place.

But I do agree that I am less interested in diaper waxed garage queens, than I am with well engineered equipment that the developers paid crazy attention to fit and finish on.

I don't care that the car in this thread isn't set up to turn. It is still an incredible piece of engineering. I'm even impressed with the skills to drive it because I know I could not do the same, and would probably be scared out of my mind to do so.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tb9GDktdnUZjtyudgoMRt8U4LTYCkhh46L1wbL2kp3VFjXn4pEy5hre7nkfOcxgC